• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "bowl out" rule

vvk

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
In the mid 1990s the ICC passed a law that said a "bowl out" can be used to decide the result of a tied one day game. Similar to a penalty shoot out in soccer, bowlers will target the stumps and the side with the most "hits" will win the game.

However I've never seen it in practice and have not heard anything about it lately.

Anybody know what happened to this?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
This is possibly the worst idea for a rule change I have ever heard of in cricket. You could not do worse than this if you legalised throwing (heh). Thankfully, I've never heard of it and I am certain it has never been used.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
i've heard of it, and from memory there was a close game that my team was involved in on a tour or something, so we couldn't come back and play the next day, and if it had've been a tie we would have had to have a bowl off. horrible way to decide a match.

vvk

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I believe it was instated as a possible decider during the ICC Knockout in Bangladesh if I'm not wrong.

Steulen

International Regular
This rule was actually used in the European Championships last year. I think it was in a match held in Deventer between Scotland or Denmark and the England Amateur side that a bowl out was used after heavy rain had prevented any play. in fact, players had to bowl at a single stump, not an entire wicket. I believe the end result was 1-0.

Swervy

International Captain
the bowl out was used in one or two of the English domestic one day tournaments years ago (I think the B&H used it)but only for rained off games...bit of a nightmare situation really..I beleive it was occasionally held in doors if it was too wet outside

Gangster

U19 12th Man
i'd just run up and toss it lightly at the stumps. as slowly and accurately as possible. if i miss, i'd have to hide in a cave for the rest of my life.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
My team were apparently involved in one about 5 years ago - way before I played for them, but I heard they went to an away cup game which had already been put back, it rained heavily and there was no available date to replay it, so they did an indoor bowl-out at one stump. My team won I think.

cameeel

International Captain
Seems like a pretty strange way to decide a match, whats the problem with a conventional drawn match

12th Man

U19 12th Man
5 bowlers get 3 balls each. Whichever team hits the stumps the most wins. I've heard of it being used, but never actually seen it on tv

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
vvk said:
Glennw - who the **** are you?
Get a life man.
More to the point, why are you here? Have you got nothing better to do?

Play some video games...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
cameeel said:
Seems like a pretty strange way to decide a match, whats the problem with a conventional drawn match
In a knockout competition, you have to have some form of separating the sides.