• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lehmann left out of Australian touring squad

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
so why pick him ITFP? they should have dropped him immediately after wc 2003, if they knew he had no future in the aussie side. to use 3 poor games as an excuse to drop someone is quite frankly the stupidest idea ive ever heard off.
They are dropping him for a season of indiffernt form, not 3 poor games. You can't just drop a player as soon as the World Cup ends and say "you're not going to be in the next World Cup, so see ya". These things take time, Players can't just be rushed in, especially if the squad is settled. Now is the right time to look for a replacement for Lehmann, another year or 2 would be too late.

tooextracool said:
or rather 2 games against india. which was in fact in the winter.
Daniel Vettori? Danesh Kaneria? Shahid Afridi? I don't think those guys play for India...

tooextracool said:
yes clearly it is a disgrace ot get bowled around your legs, considering the number of times that lara has shuffled across and gotten bowled.
It isn't just getting bowled around the legs, it is the immature shot making of an under 12 that is the main problem.

tooextracool said:
oh yes now theres an excuse for his poor performances too.
Yes it is. In hindsight he probably shouldn't have played the series, and should have been rested. Whether that is Hayden's fault or that of the ACB/selectors we don't know. If Hayden had of been performing like he did without contributing factors I have a feeling he wouldn't be going to New Zealand.

tooextracool said:
hold on a second here, mark waugh was dropped for 'inconsistency'? so howcome hayden is still in the squad despite showing the same inconsistency in ODIs?.
I'm not a selector, so how should I know.

tooextracool said:
even though martyn has been a regular feature and has performed consistently in both tests and ODIs since 99/00?
the man that replaced waugh, was surprise surprise- darren lehmann.
Yes, but Martyn took Mark Waugh's spot at 4, and Lehmann took Martyn's at 6...dah!

tooextracool said:
you've explained it yourself, it doesnt take a smart a** to make most of those selections. picking katich and love( and dont even start on how they've mistreated both of them despite their being impressive) and clarke based on good domestic performances doesnt require a great IQ. and you want controversial selections? let me hear you explain convincingly to me how kaspa didnt play in the ODI final despite having the best record amongst all the bowlers in the previous year. explain to me how they managed to pick those phenomenal bowlers in williams and bracken since these selectors are supposed to be oh so very brilliant. please give me the names of the geniuses that decide to pick symonds on the tour of SL ahead of katich despite his match saving efforts in his previous game. no they have the easiest job in the world, because the standard of domestic cricket is so good, most players who have successful domestic records almost invariably succeed at the international level(or at least amongst the batsmen). when it comes to the bowlers-mcgrath,warne and gillespie are certainities anyways, kaspa should be, but unfortunately because the selectors decide who they like and who they dont, they decide that his place in contested with lee.
The selctors cannot be right 100% of the time. Sometimes the gambles pay off, other times they don't.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
They are dropping him for a season of indiffernt form, not 3 poor games.
indifferent form?
he scored 2 50s against NZ.

Mister Wright said:
You can't just drop a player as soon as the World Cup ends and say "you're not going to be in the next World Cup, so see ya". These things take time, Players can't just be rushed in, especially if the squad is settled. Now is the right time to look for a replacement for Lehmann, another year or 2 would be too late.
even though thats precisely what they're doing? except that they were looking, just like they were for bevan for a period where his form wasnt quite there so that they could use it as an excuse to drop him. AFAIC if you dont think someone is going to make it for the next world cup, then drop him right there, because it gives you a good 4 years to develop another player.

Mister Wright said:
Daniel Vettori?
when he averaged 44.50 in the series you mean?

Mister Wright said:
Danesh Kaneria?
yes he was dismissed once by kaneria in the series, clearly he has a weakness against him.

Mister Wright said:
Shahid Afridi? I don't think those guys play for India.

even though he doesnt play test cricket?
and if you are referring to ODIs, in which case you have already mentioned that his 2 dismissals against afridi had more to do with immaturity than to do with a weakness against spin.

Mister Wright said:
It isn't just getting bowled around the legs, it is the immature shot making of an under 12 that is the main problem.
how does it matter if his shot making is immature if hes scoring runs? which is what he was doing in the games prior to the 3 failures. and AFAIC, 2 out of those 3 failures came towards the end of the innings.

Mister Wright said:
Yes it is. In hindsight he probably shouldn't have played the series, and should have been rested. Whether that is Hayden's fault or that of the ACB/selectors we don't know. If Hayden had of been performing like he did without contributing factors I have a feeling he wouldn't be going to New Zealand.
doubt it, hayden would be going to NZ regardless because the aussie selectors obviously like him. if he was ill, he wouldnt have played, simple as that. hes been in poor form in both forms of the game off late, so his failures in ODIs are something that stems from the same form that hes been having in tests.

Mister Wright said:
I'm not a selector, so how should I know..
which is precisely my point, its called double standards.

Mister Wright said:
Yes, but Martyn took Mark Waugh's spot at 4, and Lehmann took Martyn's at 6...dah!
so what is this put faith in martyn and it paid off then? martyn was already scoring runs, not like promoting an already successful player, 2 positions up the order from 6-4 is a particularly bright idea.

Mister Wright said:
The selctors cannot be right 100% of the time. Sometimes the gambles pay off, other times they don't.

how is dropping someone who scored 125 and 77 in the previous game and convinces everyone that he is a very good player off spin on a SL tour for symonds a gamble? its outright stupid. its like england dropping pieterson in ODIs after his performances against SA. they had kaspa available when they were injury struck against india, yet they picked the likes of brad williams and bracken. you make them out as being such brilliant selectors because their side has been winning WC's etc, yet you see them making completely moronic decisions like these.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
i don't think you can claim that lehmann has been choosing poor strokes. he's played the same type of unorthodox, attacking shots that he has been playing for a very long time now, but his execution of them hasn't been as good. i'm not commenting on whether or not he should be in the team, but lehmann has always played with recklessness and what some would call "immaturity".

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I see Bracewell said he wasn't at all suprised Lehmann was dropped, and said NZ had identified him as one of their few weaknesses in the aussie side.

Monty

U19 Cricketer
hussey can bowl but so can clarke. but i dont think i would bowl them. i think hussey may bowl in the test series though.

Mister Wright

tooextracool said:
indifferent form?
he scored 2 50s against NZ.
Tests (last 3 series):
In India - 3 matches, 5 innings, 132 @ 26.4
v NZ - 2 matches, 2 innings, 89 @ 44.5
v Pak - 2 matches, 3 innings, 28 @9.33

ODIs(last 3 series):
v NZ - 2 matches, 2 innings, 102 @ 51
VB series - 7 matches, 6 innings, 89 @ 29.66

If that isn't indifferent, I don't know what is...

tooextracool said:
indifferent form?even though thats precisely what they're doing? except that they were looking, just like they were for bevan for a period where his form wasnt quite there so that they could use it as an excuse to drop him. AFAIC if you dont think someone is going to make it for the next world cup, then drop him right there, because it gives you a good 4 years to develop another player.
Yeah, that's a wonderful idea. Let's drop 4 or 5 players that we think or know aren't going to be around for the next World Cup. That will ease the introduction of new players into the team...great thinking.

tooextracool said:
when he averaged 44.50 in the series you mean?
The two innings in question - Lehmann was out to Vettoria & Wiseman.

tooextracool said:
yes he was dismissed once by kaneria in the series, clearly he has a weakness against him.
Just getting out to a player doesn't mean you have a weakness against them, you can play shockingly against one type of bowler, but somehow survive and get out to the fast bowler from the other end...That's cricket.

tooextracool said:
doubt it, hayden would be going to NZ regardless because the aussie selectors obviously like him. if he was ill, he wouldnt have played, simple as that. hes been in poor form in both forms of the game off late, so his failures in ODIs are something that stems from the same form that hes been having in tests.
Maybe Hayden is in their thoughts for the World Cup & don't want to drop him just because of one season of bad form, if he has another bad series it could all be over. Also, this illness looked as though it was worse than first thought, had he been diagnosed with it earlier, he probably would have had the series off to recover.

tooextracool said:
so what is this put faith in martyn and it paid off then? martyn was already scoring runs, not like promoting an already successful player, 2 positions up the order from 6-4 is a particularly bright idea..
It hasn't exactly backfired.

tooextracool said:
how is dropping someone who scored 125 and 77 in the previous game and convinces everyone that he is a very good player off spin on a SL tour for symonds a gamble? its outright stupid. its like england dropping pieterson in ODIs after his performances against SA. they had kaspa available when they were injury struck against india, yet they picked the likes of brad williams and bracken. you make them out as being such brilliant selectors because their side has been winning WC's etc, yet you see them making completely moronic decisions like these.
It is more than that. Yes, Australia do have a higher source of quality talent, which means they can gamble a bit more. However, they have given players a tap on the shoulder when it is the right time to go, and it has paid off almost every time. They are not afraid to make the tough decisions no matter what the palyer's status is in the game.

tooextracool

International Coach
LongHopCassidy said:
And nothing after that.

Katich could have made a hundred with a stick of celery during that series.
nothing after that? he won the game against pakistan in the vb series if you remember correctly. hes done nothing in 3 games, on the same basis you would be dropping nearly everyone whos ever played the game in terms of indifferent form.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
Tests (last 3 series):
In India - 3 matches, 5 innings, 132 @ 26.4
v NZ - 2 matches, 2 innings, 89 @ 44.5
v Pak - 2 matches, 3 innings, 28 @9.33
when will you learn that tests and ODIs are completely unrelated? i havent claimed that he should be in the test side.

Mister Wright said:
ODIs(last 3 series):
v NZ - 2 matches, 2 innings, 102 @ 51
VB series - 7 matches, 6 innings, 89 @ 29.66

If that isn't indifferent, I don't know what is...
err how is that indifferent form? so if someone has 1 good series and one mediocre one then its mediocre form? so basically anyone who has 1 mediocre series(or rather 3 poor games) should be dropped?

Mister Wright said:
Yeah, that's a wonderful idea. Let's drop 4 or 5 players that we think or know aren't going to be around for the next World Cup. That will ease the introduction of new players into the team...great thinking.
even though australia havent dropped 4-5 players on the basis of age since the last world cup?

Mister Wright said:
The two innings in question - Lehmann was out to Vettoria & Wiseman.
yes and he averaged 44.50, whats your point? just because he got dismissed by them it doesnt mean that he struggled against them. by that count lara has a weakness against fraser and caddick because they've both dismissed him 6 times each, even though hes scored prolifically against them.

Mister Wright said:
Just getting out to a player doesn't mean you have a weakness against them, you can play shockingly against one type of bowler, but somehow survive and get out to the fast bowler from the other end...That's cricket.
rubbish, he played about 1.5 overs of kaneria in the other 2 games(all of which came in one game), which included him coming down the track and hammering kaneria for a 3 and a 4 respectively. id like you to name me one inning where lehmann showed any sort of weakness against kaneria for an extended period of time or even struggled for half an over against him.

Mister Wright said:
Maybe Hayden is in their thoughts for the World Cup & don't want to drop him just because of one season of bad form, if he has another bad series it could all be over. .
no they dont, but they were extremely prepared to do that with m.waugh werent they?

Mister Wright said:
Also, this illness looked as though it was worse than first thought, had he been diagnosed with it earlier, he probably would have had the series off to recover..
oh come off it, its all just an excuse to cover up his poor form, thats been going on in both tests and ODIs for a while now.

Mister Wright said:
It hasn't exactly backfired.
which is not what i claimed. but it didnt take any amount of intelligence to push him up the order to let lehmann bat in his position at 6.

Mister WrightIt is more than that. Yes said:
yet they seem to give certain players more chances than certain others. and i really doubt that the decision to drop bevan has payed off, especially since they've dropped lehmann.

Mister Wright

tooextracool said:
when will you learn that tests and ODIs are completely unrelated? i havent claimed that he should be in the test side.

err how is that indifferent form? so if someone has 1 good series and one mediocre one then its mediocre form? so basically anyone who has 1 mediocre series(or rather 3 poor games) should be dropped?.
My claim was that he had an indifferent summer with the bat in both tests and ODIs. And yes, if a player is playing both forms of the game, form can be transferred. However, if a player is only performing poorly in one, it does not highlight poor form in the other as much. Just look at Gilchrist. If he had of had a poor test summer, there would be talk about his form as well, he had an extremely mediocre One Day series. IIRC not one half century.

tooextracool said:
even though australia havent dropped 4-5 players on the basis of age since the last world cup?.
What is your point here. You said that if the selectors are not considering a player for the next World Cup they should be dropped instantly. I am saying they shouldn't as players should be integrated into the side, as replacements at different intervals. Since the last world cup Bichel, Bevan & Lehmann have all been dropped. Had all three of those players been dropped at the end of the last world cup at once, it would have left a big gap for Australia to fill.

tooextracool said:
yes and he averaged 44.50, whats your point? just because he got dismissed by them it doesnt mean that he struggled against them. by that count lara has a weakness against fraser and caddick because they've both dismissed him 6 times each, even though hes scored prolifically against them.
Stats don't tell the full story here. Vettori bowled awesome, and a lot of people other than myself thought he should have got player of the series. My point was not that Lehmann got out to spinners, but rather he struggled against them all summer (tests & ODIs) the reason I posted he got out to those two players was to highlight my point.

tooextracool said:
rubbish, he played about 1.5 overs of kaneria in the other 2 games(all of which came in one game), which included him coming down the track and hammering kaneria for a 3 and a 4 respectively. id like you to name me one inning where lehmann showed any sort of weakness against kaneria for an extended period of time or even struggled for half an over against him.
*Yawn* I apologise, I cannot, I don't sit down and watch every single ball of the summer.

tooextracool said:
no they dont, but they were extremely prepared to do that with m.waugh werent they?
The talk of dropping Mark Waugh was around for more than one season before he was dropped. He became a hit and miss player in the last 2-3 years of his career. He lost his consistency, and usually more times than not he made a big score in the last test or towards the end of a ODI series to keep his nose in front.

tooextracool said:
oh come off it, its all just an excuse to cover up his poor form, thats been going on in both tests and ODIs for a while now.
Somebody forgot to take their anti-cynicism pills.

tooextracool said:
which is not what i claimed. but it didnt take any amount of intelligence to push him up the order to let lehmann bat in his position at 6.
eh?

Mister WrightIt is more than that. Yes said:
tooextracool said:
yet they seem to give certain players more chances than certain others. and i really doubt that the decision to drop bevan has payed off, especially since they've dropped lehmann.

It will when Australia have someone with two years experience at the World Cup than 1/2 a year or once a year.

The selectors wouldn't have wanted the Australian team relying on Bevan 3 years leading up to the World Cup if he wasn't going to be there.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
zinzan12 said:
Maybe it's time to get off Hayden's back ...the poor guy's been one of the great players of his era....IMO better than any English batsmen in the last 20 years. After scoring 1000 + test runs in the last 4 years (record in itself) the guys has a modest time of it for 5 games or so and you call for his head..

Plse name a better English batsmen in the last 20 years??
Knight and Hick are better than Hayden in ODIs any day of the week.
Not to mention Neil Fairbrother, Alec Stewart and Graham Thorpe.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
And besides if the Aussie selectors are a complete joke, wouldn't they not be winning all the time?
When you've got as many players as Australia have who even the worst selectors in The World couldn't mishandle it's rather hard to be failures.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
I wouldn't say that, he may very well slot into the ODI team at some point, he is a good middle, lower order batsman.

Could become a batting all-rounder.
I've seen Cameron White bat once and combined with a few on-paper assesments of him I've come to the conclusion that any time he scores a half-century it's some achievement.
Massively overrated batsman, and as for his bowling, well...

tooextracool

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
My claim was that he had an indifferent summer with the bat in both tests and ODIs. And yes, if a player is playing both forms of the game, form can be transferred. However, if a player is only performing poorly in one, it does not highlight poor form in the other as much. Just look at Gilchrist. If he had of had a poor test summer, there would be talk about his form as well, he had an extremely mediocre One Day series. IIRC not one half century.
precisely the point, while no one will deny that lehmann has been poor in tests of late, but the fact that it was only in the last 3 ODIs that he failed in, it would suggest that he was still doing fairly well in ODIs. and the fact that gilchrist has maintained form in one form and not in the other would suggest that form isnt always transferred, which is the same for lehmann.

Mister Wright said:
What is your point here. You said that if the selectors are not considering a player for the next World Cup they should be dropped instantly. I am saying they shouldn't as players should be integrated into the side, as replacements at different intervals. Since the last world cup Bichel, Bevan & Lehmann have all been dropped. Had all three of those players been dropped at the end of the last world cup at once, it would have left a big gap for Australia to fill.
err they dropped 2 of them at the same time, i dont see any reason why a third one would have made that much of a difference.

Mister Wright said:
Stats don't tell the full story here. Vettori bowled awesome, and a lot of people other than myself thought he should have got player of the series. My point was not that Lehmann got out to spinners, but rather he struggled against them all summer (tests & ODIs) the reason I posted he got out to those two players was to highlight my point.
vettori bowled well yes, but if you watched the series you would clearly see that lehmann showed no real problems against him.

Mister Wright said:
*Yawn* I apologise, I cannot, I don't sit down and watch every single ball of the summer.

yet you suggested that he struggled against him, even though he barely even faced him(and when he did he scored off him)

Mister Wright said:
The talk of dropping Mark Waugh was around for more than one season before he was dropped. He became a hit and miss player in the last 2-3 years of his career. He lost his consistency, and usually more times than not he made a big score in the last test or towards the end of a ODI series to keep his nose in front.
and if you look at hayden's stats for the last 2-3 years, you would see that it follows the same pattern(except that hayden would score against b;desh and zimbabwe). hes only had about 2-3 genuinely good series in the since and including the world cup.

Mister Wright said:
Somebody forgot to take their anti-cynicism pills.
you know its simply an excuse to protect hayden from any criticism thats sent against him. if he wasnt fit he shouldnt have been playing in the first place, the fact that he did awould suggest that it didnt affect him seriously.

Mister Wright said:
im saying that getting martyn to bat at 4 didnt require any amount of intelligence from the selectors.

Mister Wright said:
It will when Australia have someone with two years experience at the World Cup than 1/2 a year or once a year.

The selectors wouldn't have wanted the Australian team relying on Bevan 3 years leading up to the World Cup if he wasn't going to be there.
who says he wasnt going to be there? did bevan say that? no he didnt. the selectors assumed that he wasnt good enough anymore and dropped him, simple as that. we've seen several players play till they are 37, why couldnt bevan? and his domestic form would suggest that hes still capable of doing it.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

tooextracool said:
err they dropped 2 of them at the same time, i dont see any reason why a third one would have made that much of a difference.
No Bichel was dropped for the previous seasons Summer's VB series finals and Bevan was dropped after the Sri Lankan tour. That is almost a year between droppings. It was good and allowed other players to feel comfortable in the team.

tooextracool said:
vettori bowled well yes, but if you watched the series you would clearly see that lehmann showed no real problems against him.
Let's agree to disagree.

tooextracool said:
and if you look at hayden's stats for the last 2-3 years, you would see that it follows the same pattern(except that hayden would score against b;desh and zimbabwe). hes only had about 2-3 genuinely good series in the since and including the world cup.
Bullocks. If we are talking tests, Hayden's top score against Bangladesh is something like 51, and he has only played two test against Zimbabwe, so to say he has scored the bulk of his runs against this two nations is ridiculous. If we are talking ODIs the same can be said, IIRC Hayden would have only played Bangladesh at the previous Champions Trophy, and maybe a few games here and there, and over the last few years would have barely played against Zimbabwe. I will admit he has not got as many centuries as he should have, but the way the team has played the last few years, that is understandable.

tooextracool said:
you know its simply an excuse to protect hayden from any criticism thats sent against him. if he wasnt fit he shouldnt have been playing in the first place, the fact that he did awould suggest that it didnt affect him seriously.
If that were the case, than anyone going through some kind of form slump would have had an injury. This injury has turned out to be quite serious, he was at risk of not touring New Zealand - his lung capacity was down to 42%. Had the team know the seriousness of the injury in the first place, I doubt he would have played at all during the VB series.

tooextracool said:
im saying that getting martyn to bat at 4 didnt require any amount of intelligence from the selectors.
Of course not, but my point was that technically Martyn replaced Mark Waugh not Lehmann.

tooextracool said:
who says he wasnt going to be there? did bevan say that? no he didnt. the selectors assumed that he wasnt good enough anymore and dropped him, simple as that. we've seen several players play till they are 37, why couldnt bevan? and his domestic form would suggest that hes still capable of doing it.
Domestic form does not matter, if that were the case Bichel would have been rushed back into the Australian team months ago, along with Bevan. The fact is the two were not performing well enough in the International side to warrant a place with so many other strong contenders sitting on the wings. Add to the fact that the Australian team's tactics had evolved where they would attack almost all the way through the 50 overs and Bevan really doesn't do that.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah come on, man you've never heard of players carrying injuries/illness's because they don't want to give up their place in the side? Hello, FLINTOFF?