• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lehmann left out of Australian touring squad

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
IDK why he should be dropped from ODIs while Hayden retains his place. But, having said that, I kinda saw this one coming, given his age and the proximity of the WC.

amokk1

U19 12th Man
Blewy said:
Lehmann deserves to be dropped on 1 innings.. That shot he played against Afridi on his 1st ball in the 1st Final to get caught behind with the side in deep trouble should have seen him dropped for game 2... He was a senior player who played like a rookie when his side needed him...

Finally Mike Hussey gets a shot...

Hopes is a great selection, i was one who wanted him in the World Cup side... he has always been good with the ball and now with his batting he is a great addition...
Reminds me of Mark Ramprakash vs Shane Warne. A terrible charge and stumped

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
do you know what the difference between tests and ODIs is?
when you do, then it would be worthwhile to have an argument with you.
As Lehmann was dropped from both forms of the game and Hayden has recently been out of form in both forms, I assumed you were discussing both.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
musha_13 said:
We all know that D Hussey and Hodge haven't been selected because they are Victorian.

It is a disgrace that the selectors haven't taken any notice of what this Victorian team have done.
What? D. Hussey isn't even IN the Victorian side at the moment, he was dropped due to lack of form. M. Hussey has been performing in FC cricket for years now. And as far as Hodge is concerned, well he has been in touring parties recently which indicates he is reasonably close to the Australian team, but he simply hasn't earned a place yet. There's no reason he should be picked ahead of M. Hussey or Katich for a test spot to replace Lehmann, and no reason he would be brought into the one day side either.

As far as Victoria being discriminated against is concerned, that's as ridiculous as people who claim New South Wales recieves preferencial treatment now, in a time when there are 2 or 3 NSW players in the team and the bulk of the selectors are from other states as well. Victoria only has one player in the test side because only one Victorian player warrants a place, it's as simple as that.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On Lehmann....I think the fact he is sluggish around the field quite rightly worked against him and although he is a handy slow ODI bowler, I can see M Clarke taking over that mantle as a part time ODI spinner. Whilst Hayden isn't actually Ricky Ponting around the field,. hes not as much of a slug as Lehmann.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I must admit I am a bit biased against Lehmann. So I am not surprised. I have always been surprised by the huge support he enjoys amongst Australian supporters.

But as I said at the outset, I am biased I suppose :sleep:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Josh said:
Michael Hussey ahead of David Hussey??

Well, whatever...
Considering David Hussey can't even make the Victorian side, I don't think he had a look in.

I'm disapointed Jimmy Maher didn't get selected, he has been the best Australian domestic One Day player for the last 32 years and has had a pretty good time of it this season as well. However, I cannot smudge Hussey's selection though, he is a fine player and I'm sure he'll do well, IMO he is much better value than the useless Simon Katich.

I think it is a great squad they have selected. James Hopes' record may not be that stunning, but this season he has shown he has the ability to be consistently good, it has just taken him a while to find his feet.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
Lehman's already said he won't be around for the world cup. I think it is a very fair move to drop him from the ODI side. I think he may, however, still get on the test side for the NZ tour and possibly the Ashes tour, especially if Watson is struggling.

Last edited:

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
btw Hopes has averaged 36.37 in 9 innings and taken 11 wickets at 29.18 (e/r of 4.37) this season.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
zinzan12 said:
On Lehmann....I think the fact he is sluggish around the field quite rightly worked against him and although he is a handy slow ODI bowler, I can see M Clarke taking over that mantle as a part time ODI spinner. Whilst Hayden isn't actually Ricky Ponting around the field,. hes not as much of a slug as Lehmann.
Haha that never occurred to me; now Ponting will have to use Clarke from time to time.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
another reason why the aussie selectors are a joke.....it takes them 3 bad games to drop lehmann, and an infinite number of games to drop hayden.

Hayden was dropped from the team before Lehmann you goose. He has been retained in the squad because they can see that he is only one good innings away from a good score and is younger than Lehmann, at least he hasn't played immature innings like Lehmann.

And I must agree that the Aussie selectors are a joke considering we have won the last 2 World Cups and made the final of the one before and have (IIRC) beaten every test team away and home (except India at home which was a draw).

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
The Australian selectors chop and change a LOT less than any other team.

If Pakistan brought two bright sparks on a tour would anyone start a thread about it?

It's this consistency that keeps Australia at the top.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Hopes is a good choice, imo. His figures really dont do him justice.

As for Hussey over Lehmann, well come on, we all knew it was coming. Hopefully Lehmann can still make the Test side (I certainly dont doubt he can), they arnt neally as concerned about age in the longer version as the shorter.
Bit surprised that it was Hussey, but a really nice surprise, and he thoroughly deserves it! I guess they are seriously considering him for an Ashes tour, because his form in that country is nothing short of spectacular.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
I'm a little surprised Cameron White wasn't picked ahead of Hussey as he has had a pretty good season and he could take Lehmann's bowling spot.

Vikas Bhatt

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Lets face facts. Boof is the fattest cricketer on the scene at the moment and well past his prime. With Katich and even Hayden now warming the reserve seats, perhaps the time has come for Boof to retire! His time is up. Why is it so difficult to accept for some Sozzies! He was lucky he got to play the number of games he got to play. Look at Stuart Law. Despite being on par with the best in his day, guy never got to go as far as he should have!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
mavric41 said:
I'm a little surprised Cameron White wasn't picked ahead of Hussey as he has had a pretty good season and he could take Lehmann's bowling spot.
The day Cameron White plays for Australia will be a sure sign the crown has slipped!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Crazy Sam said:
Lehman's already said he won't be around for the world cup.
In which case he really should have retired from ODIs - it's a crying shame for a player as good as him to be dropped on 3 bad innings.