• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting's Australia - how good?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Scallywag said:
And Hayden would walk into any side in any era.
while i like hayden, that's a tall statement and while that might be true of this era, i don't think that's true of any era....

Scallywag

Banned
tooextracool said:
personally while the aussie batting lineup is extremely good, i think its overrated.
heres what i think the aussie batters would have averages in the 80s.
hayden would be lucky to average anywhere over 30
langer would average 42-43
ponting would average 42-45
martyn would average 48-50
katich would average 40-45
lehmann would average 35 odd
gilchrist would average under 40.
And other batsmen

Lara 43-45
Tendulkar 40-45
Dravid 35-38
sehwag 30-35
Vaughan 25-30
Kallis 42-45
Inzi 45-50

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Scallywag said:
Botham and Willis were great in their era but are they as good as Harmison and Flintoff (think about the athletisism and fitness
You're kidding right?

Harmison and Flintoff dont deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Willis and Botham at this stage of their careers

Scallywag

Banned
social said:
You're kidding right?

Harmison and Flintoff dont deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Willis and Botham at this stage of their careers
Are you saying that Botham and Willis were fitter and more athletic than Flintoff and Harmison.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Probably more along the lines of Botham and Willis were legends, Flintoff and Harmi have only just begun..

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Scallywag said:
Are you saying that Botham and Willis were fitter and more athletic than Flintoff and Harmison.
For cricket, absolutely!

Willis had a 30 yard plus run-up and charged in all day, and the next if necessary - Harmison is absolutely buggered after bowling 15 overs in a day and then struggles to back up the next.

Botham might have been a fat *******, but his body was infinitely more flexible than Flintoff's.

Scallywag

Banned
social said:
For cricket, absolutely!

Willis had a 30 yard plus run-up and charged in all day, and the next if necessary - Harmison is absolutely buggered after bowling 15 overs in a day and then struggles to back up the next.

Botham might have been a fat *******, but his body was infinitely more flexible than Flintoff's.

Well its easy to see why Australia have dominated England for so long if they have not improved in player fitness and training techniques over the last 15 years. Oh well maybe they will learn over the next 15 years.

twctopcat

International Regular
Scallywag said:
Well its easy to see why Australia have dominated England for so long if they have not improved in player fitness and training techniques over the last 15 years. Oh well maybe they will learn over the next 15 years.
Aussies have dominated the english because of technique rather than fitness. Sure Botham and gatting got a bit big but boon was never a lightweight now was he?

Scallywag

Banned
twctopcat said:
Aussies have dominated the english because of technique rather than fitness. Sure Botham and gatting got a bit big but boon was never a lightweight now was he?
Thats right, if Boon was in the Australian team now he would be given a program to improve his weight and fitness, the days of players getting away without being in top class condition are gone with Boonie, in Australia anyway England may not have woken up to that yet.

C_C

International Captain
Thats right, if Boon was in the Australian team now he would be given a program to improve his weight and fitness, the days of players getting away without being in top class condition are gone with Boonie, in Australia anyway England may not have woken up to that yet.
carrying weight does not necessarily impact fitness negetively.
Infact there are quiete a few podgy cricketers who's fitness were pretty good despite weight problems.
Look at ranatunga...he was as round as a football but after bevo, he is the best at pinching singles and was a very agile fielder.
Look at lara...he is pretty agile in the field and he is pretty podgy.
Merv Hughes was a fat guy but he bowled tirelessly for over after over.

As per Boone being given a program to improve his weight if he were in the current aussie lineup, i wonder then what happened to Lehmann....
he is pretty darn flabby and definately carrying a few extra pounds.

Scallywag

Banned
C_C said:
carrying weight does not necessarily impact fitness negetively.
Infact there are quiete a few podgy cricketers who's fitness were pretty good despite weight problems.
Look at ranatunga...he was as round as a football but after bevo, he is the best at pinching singles and was a very agile fielder.
Look at lara...he is pretty agile in the field and he is pretty podgy.
Merv Hughes was a fat guy but he bowled tirelessly for over after over.

As per Boone being given a program to improve his weight if he were in the current aussie lineup, i wonder then what happened to Lehmann....
he is pretty darn flabby and definately carrying a few extra pounds.
Lehman is very fit and you dont see him puffing and panting like Inzi, think about how well Aus run between the wickets, how many runs is that worth to the team.

Over the years Aus fielding and running between the wickets has improved out of sight. Particulary in ODI's Aus have set new standards and the team of today compared to 15 years ago is huge.

C_C

International Captain
Lehman is very fit and you dont see him puffing and panting like Inzi, think about how well Aus run between the wickets, how many runs is that worth to the team.

Over the years Aus fielding and running between the wickets has improved out of sight. Particulary in ODI's Aus have set new standards and the team of today compared to 15 years ago is huge.
mmm i still think that when it came to athleticism and fielding, the saffies of the mid/late 90s had this aussie team beat.

Besides, you contested that Boone would've been put on a program to reduce his weight if he played today and i pointed out Lehmann to you who himself is quiete flabby.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
C_C said:
Besides, you contested that Boone would've been put on a program to reduce his weight if he played today and i pointed out Lehmann to you who himself is quiete flabby.
No, he isn't really. He's got a bit of a beer belly but I don't think he's flabby at all. His rugged look just accentuates his bad features!

C_C

International Captain
Thats the understatement of the year, Casson.
I've seen Lemon in person and trust me, he is one big and fat guy.

twctopcat

International Regular
Scallywag said:
You have lehmann, we have key. I don't see a massive gap between the two teams in terms of fitness and i don't think you can either, unless you know some random bleep test figures which prove me wrong.