• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting's Australia - how good?

Scallywag

Banned
twctopcat said:
You have lehmann, we have key. I don't see a massive gap between the two teams in terms of fitness and i don't think you can either, unless you know some random bleep test figures which prove me wrong.
You may not see a difference between Australias fielding today and 15 years ago but I do. you may not think that the training of the Australian team is more professional now than 15 years ago but I do.

I dont know about England you tell me are they any better than 15 years ago.

twctopcat

International Regular
I think anyone would unequivocally say yes. The amount of fitness and drills done nowadays has led to better standards of fielding around the world, including England.

Scallywag

Banned
twctopcat said:
I think anyone would unequivocally say yes. The amount of fitness and drills done nowadays has led to better standards of fielding around the world, including England.
Thats what I was talking about, now for the next bit.

Because teams are more prepared for matches (video anaylisis ect.) it is much harder for a player to become outstanding because they have 11 opposition players who collectively are better than what teams from 15 years ago would have faced. In effect its much harder for a player to succeed today than 15 years ago and especially 30 years ago.

twctopcat

International Regular
Scallywag said:
Thats what I was talking about, now for the next bit.

Because teams are more prepared for matches (video anaylisis ect.) it is much harder for a player to become outstanding because they have 11 opposition players who collectively are better than what teams from 15 years ago would have faced. In effect its much harder for a player to succeed today than 15 years ago and especially 30 years ago.
Just because video analysis is there doesn't make it any easier to get wickets, you still have to get the ball in the right places. Sure for batsmen with glaring weaknessess it makes it easier but bowlers can pick up weaknessess with their own eyes. Technique is still paramount and that hasn't radically changed in 15 years. Preparation is helpful but application in test cricket is as hard today as it was 15 years ago.

Scallywag

Banned
twctopcat said:
Just because video analysis is there doesn't make it any easier to get wickets, you still have to get the ball in the right places. Sure for batsmen with glaring weaknessess it makes it easier but bowlers can pick up weaknessess with their own eyes. Technique is still paramount and that hasn't radically changed in 15 years. Preparation is helpful but application in test cricket is as hard today as it was 15 years ago.
OK lets just leave it at that.