• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The One's That Got Away

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Strauss is South African. Geraint Jones wasted many years in Queensland club cricket for Wests? For a while he was Queensland's second best keeper behind Wade Seccombe

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Strauss was born in SA to English parents and was brought up in England. That doesn't make him South African.

Still, I don't think England have named a team in recent memory without at least one non-English-born player in it. Caddick, Strauss, Hussain, Hick, Lamb, Smith, Pringle, White, Hollioake, Jones, Mullally...

Swervy

International Captain
I thought Craig White was born in Morley in Yorkshire...and grew up in Australia..maybe I am wrong

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Swervy said:
I thought Craig White was born in Morley in Yorkshire...and grew up in Australia..maybe I am wrong
Yorkshire certainly.

& Mullally was actually born in Southend I think, emigrated to Oz @ 4. English mum, Irish dad.

I think Strauss's folks spent 18 months in Melbourne after leaving SA, so there's a slight crim connection there too. :D

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Theres a difference to players who were born in one country but moved to the country they played for at a very early age (such as Symonds / Strauss) and players who grew up the majority of their childhood in one country but still played for another (Hick / Pieterson - well when he does eventually play for England that is :P).

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Swervy said:
craig white played underage cricket for victoria. and his brother-in-law is darren lehmann (not sure if that means anything, but good triva nonetheless)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
Because he was such a bad captain wasn't he?

He's laid the foundation for what Vaughan is currently leading.
Echoed. Nasser Hussain was a brilliant captain IMO. Mike Brearley tends to agree.

Deja moo

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Strauss was born in SA to English parents and was brought up in England. That doesn't make him South African.

Does'nt being born in a particular country make you a citizen of that country ?Strauss is/was South African IMO.

C_C

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Because he was such a bad captain wasn't he?

He's laid the foundation for what Vaughan is currently leading.

mate, what i meant is, Hussain wouldnt have made the IND XI.

shaka

International Regular
Andrew Mehrtens will always be called South African born even though he basically arrived into this world during a family holiday. However he is now a proud NZ rugby player. The same could be said about Strauss.