• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

cricket books

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
my favourite cricket book is one from about 6 years ago called '200 seasons of Australian test cricket', sponsored by Ansett ;)... it is a superb and comprehensive book with every Australian test scorecard and a great guide that I often have with me when the cricket is on channel 9.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Crazy Sam said:
my favourite cricket book is one from about 6 years ago called '200 seasons of Australian test cricket', sponsored by Ansett ;)... it is a superb and comprehensive book with every Australian test scorecard and a great guide that I often have with me when the cricket is on channel 9.
they have recently brought out an updated version of that book....

BoyBrumby

Englishman
My fav cricket book has to be Peter Frith's rather splendid "Bodyline Autopsy".

I'm loathe to use the word "definitive", but I do think it will be the book by which any other books about the 32/33 series will be judged against. As an Anglo-Aussie (English born, moved to Oz @ 9) Frith is probably as close to a neutral as you can get. He reports the facts as they are & doesn't indulge in the psychological speculation that can afflict some sports books. He also unearths a scoop about Bradman, which I won't divulge...you'll have to read it yourself!

My only minor gripe is his slightly sniffy attitude to the magnificent Windies pace attack of the 70s/80s/early 90s. Whilst trying to take a tailenders head off isn't on, I don't see anything wrong with a few short trackers to test a batters mettle.

Piper

International Captain
Ive got a book here called ''England v Australia'' ive never had the chance to read it yet but it just covers matches and the rivalry between the two sides.

Camel56

Banned
Ive got book called "Next Man In." Its a thorough explaination of all the laws of cricket with many anacdotes about each law. For example before there was a law restricting the dimentions of the bat, a player came in with a bat made as wide as all three stumps. Great book, very amusing. Not sure if they have updated it recently though as my copy is from the late 80s.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Allan Donald - White Lightning

Mind you, he could have written absolute tosh and I would still have loved it.. Its a very highly rated and interesting read though..

Swervy

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
My fav cricket book has to be Peter Frith's rather splendid "Bodyline Autopsy".

I'm loathe to use the word "definitive", but I do think it will be the book by which any other books about the 32/33 series will be judged against. As an Anglo-Aussie (English born, moved to Oz @ 9) Frith is probably as close to a neutral as you can get. He reports the facts as they are & doesn't indulge in the psychological speculation that can afflict some sports books. He also unearths a scoop about Bradman, which I won't divulge...you'll have to read it yourself!

My only minor gripe is his slightly sniffy attitude to the magnificent Windies pace attack of the 70s/80s/early 90s. Whilst trying to take a tailenders head off isn't on, I don't see anything wrong with a few short trackers to test a batters mettle.
I agree..a brilliant book..only half way through at the moment though

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Gary Sober's autobiography is very enjoyable

Also Frank Worrell's autobiography is ver insightful ...

Ferd

U19 Vice-Captain
The don's autobio is a great read.

Also comedy books like Warick Todd and The Laughs on Us are always funny.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Ferd said:
The don's autobio is a great read.

Also comedy books like Warick Todd and The Laughs on Us are always funny.
Yeah I agree... a very interesting and superbly written book. He wrote this entirely by himself without the use of a ghostwriter - obviously had a talent for more than just batting.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There are so many great cricket books. Its difficult to list all.

Here are a few from my favourites.

1. The Great Bowlers Edited by John Arlott
2. Pavillioned in Splendour by AA Thomson
3. Beyond A Boundary by CLR James
4. The Art of Captaincy by Mike Brearley
5. For the Love of the Game by David Laemon
6. The Joy of Cricket edited by John Bright-Holmes
7. Any of half a dozen books by Cardus
8. Batting from Memory by Fingleton
9. Sort of A Cricket Person by Swanton
10. Brightly Fades the Don by Fingleton

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Piper said:
Ive got a book here called ''England v Australia'' ive never had the chance to read it yet but it just covers matches and the rivalry between the two sides.
Specific there, then!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Cricket book I've most enjoyed has been Harold Bird's autobiography.
Most informing? Atherton's autobiography was fascinating.
Most influential? Impossible to look beyond Beyond A Boundary.
Most looking forward to reading? Hmm, definately going to put Hussain's book on my Xmas list; wanted to read The WickedKeeper for ages, too.
Best book? Wisden Cricketer's Alamanack wins every time. I'm going to get every issue I can get my hands on once I get a job that enables me to purchase the things.