• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

who is the best hitter??????

Swervy

International Captain
Lance cairns (father of Chris for those who dont know) was one of the most powerful hitters of the ball I have ever seen...and I used to love watching him bat with that shoulderless bat of his which looked like a cavemans club.

Ian Botham could give the ball a Flintoff-esque smash as well (doesnt he hold the first class record of 80 sixes in an English summer)

Swervy

International Captain
twctopcat said:
I've seen Freddie in the act a few times and to say he is a giant on the field would be an understatement. This man doesn't even have to strike it off the middle to clean the rope. He is one of the biggest hitters ever, and i'm talking viv etc here.
yeah he is strong enough to hit sixes when the ball hits even the top of the bat..great to watch.

King Viv could hit the ball so hard because of his perfect timing..never seen anyone hit the ball so hard without breaking into a sweat

bryce

International Regular
Swervy said:
Lance cairns (father of Chris for those who dont know) was one of the most powerful hitters of the ball I have ever seen...and I used to love watching him bat with that shoulderless bat of his which looked like a cavemans club.
yeah i think the aussies will know about his hitting power but i'm not too sure about any other countries, he holds the record for fastest NZ first-class hundred - 45 balls.

twctopcat

International Regular
What makes me laugh when watching freddie bat is how small his bat seems, its like the size of his forearm!! I've only been watching cricket for 5 odd years so i've only seen clips etc of viv (the six off the last ball of the innings in the '79 WC?? is a fav), but my dad who's been watching since sobers says freddy hits it as far, if not further than the rest.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dwayne Smith does it so effortlessly and Ricardo Powell so brutally.

Between Flintoff and Afridi I'd back Flintoff. He's a more intelligent bighitter, so I'd think he'd have more runs when all was said and done.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
haha, marillier is a god! i remember he introduced the "lap" - the shot that has since been claimed by ryan campbell - into international cricket, nearly stole the game for zimbos away from aus. whatever happened to him?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The same thing that happened to all the Zim fringe players.

They were treated poorly by the board and went to other countries.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
vic_orthdox said:
haha, marillier is a god! i remember he introduced the "lap" - the shot that has since been claimed by ryan campbell - into international cricket, nearly stole the game for zimbos away from aus. whatever happened to him?
oh man those lap shots were awesome hey. beats the short fine leg beautifully. those 2 boundaries in the last over chasing 301 or 302 or something and falling a couple of runs short were great shots.

C_C

International Captain
When i think about hitters, i think of pure brute force and not the silken touch.By that context,

Best hitters of the yesteryears:

King Viv
Kapil Dev
Botham
Greenidge
Lance Cairns

Best Hitters of recent times:

Sehwag
Jayasurya
Gillchrist
Afridi
Razzaq
Symonds
Flintoff
Gayle

If peak hitting powers are compared ( ie, the best display of hitting on few given instances), Shaheed Afridi is the best of the recent times and of all time.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Flintoff is the most powerful in general, as he is easily capable of hitting sixes off the toe, splice or anywhere. However, when Ricky Ponting really nails one he can hit it pretty damn hard - seeing him send one soaring over my head and into the River Trent in a tour match at Taunton in 2001 is something I won't forget in a hurry.

And Flintoff would destroy Afridi in a fight. Afridi's big but Flintoff's 6'5" and built like a tank. Good job he's a nice bloke, or he'd be one of the scariest people I've ever met!

C_C

International Captain
Dont think Freddie can destroy Afridi in a fight....
i once saw Afridi in Sharjah a few years ago......guy is stronger than a bull.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I doubt Flintoff is quite as big as 6' 5" but he does hit the ball harder than anyone, although 6s from Harmison tend to go a fair few rows back...

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
I doubt Flintoff is quite as big as 6' 5" but he does hit the ball harder than anyone, although 6s from Harmison tend to go a fair few rows back...
You're right he's actually 6'4".

C_C said:
Dont think Freddie can destroy Afridi in a fight.... i once saw Afridi in Sharjah a few years ago......guy is stronger than a bull
I'd back Freddie in a fight. especially as his training regime currently consists of spending a lot of time in a boxing gym in Salford

twctopcat

International Regular
C_C said:
Dont think Freddie can destroy Afridi in a fight....
i once saw Afridi in Sharjah a few years ago......guy is stronger than a bull.
I do hope you are joking. Freddy is pretty much eye to eye with Harmison (who is 6ft 6in) and i bet comes in at about 15st(210llb). He could kill the guy with one punch. But anyway back to the cricket!!

twctopcat

International Regular
If you want to take your view from one pic where freddy is leaning into his ear then so be it! I've seen them from about 20yds and they are indeed pretty much eye to eye!

C_C

International Captain
forgot the boxing part.....yea then i'd back freddie as well....
but what has height or size gotto do with how you fight ?
you guys ever been in a streetfight ? Size is irrelevant there.
:D :D