• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Who said of whom, when and did he have to eat his words :-

"I didn't see him turn a single ball from leg to off. I don't believe we will have much problem with him"

stumpski

International Captain
Ah now, I remember this, but not the details ...

Was it said by an England selector/coach?

About Anil Kumble?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It was indeed David - clearly you are bearing Surrey's demise with the sort of stoicism I hope I can emulate when and if the Red Rose join you in Division Two

Keith Fletcher said it in 1992 and if he didn't eat his words he certainly should have

So your turn mate and if you want to ask the one about which county won the championship seven times running in the 50's feel free - just dont bother with the one about which county hasn't won it since 1934!

stumpski

International Captain
Another quote - this is a tourist talking about his captain. I've taken out phrases that might have offered clues:

He is lovingly remembered by a vast number of people as a great personality, whose great enjoyment of life gave enjoyment to all who met him. He belonged ideally to another age ... his heart was in proportion to his sturdy frame and stuffed full of courage and kindness. His conceits were enormous, unaffected and endearing, a sitting target for the shafts of his friends ...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Another quote - this is a tourist talking about his captain. I've taken out phrases that might have offered clues:

He is lovingly remembered by a vast number of people as a great personality, whose great enjoyment of life gave enjoyment to all who met him. He belonged ideally to another age ... his heart was in proportion to his sturdy frame and stuffed full of courage and kindness. His conceits were enormous, unaffected and endearing, a sitting target for the shafts of his friends ...
English?

Pre WW 2?

stumpski

International Captain
If you want to try naming the writer as well by the way, he was also a player (equally well known as a writer, though).

I'll have to leave in a few minutes to go and witness Surrey's latest debacle.

Not Chapman, no.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Before WW1 ? ?

Did he lead England in ten or more Tests ?

Did the player who said this play under his captaincy in a test match ?

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Did he (the captain) play ten or more Tests ?

Did the player who said it play in Test matches at all?