• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Irony of The Australian Cricket Team

tooextracool

International Coach
Eclipse said:
The pitches produced in Australia at least give the viewing public more than 3 days of cricket.
oh yes id rather watch 5 days of absolute boredom, with bowlers toiling and batsman smashing them out of the park.

Eclipse said:
Besides this pitch was far worse and dont even try to suggest otherwise.
no it wasnt, the pitch in the first test vs SL, was exactly as bad as this wicket.

Eclipse said:
I still dont think all the pitches last summer where that flat yes they where flat but the bowling was also pathetic.
the only wickets that deserved to be considered good in that series were melbourne and adelaide. the other 2 particularly sydney was just rubbish. the bowling may have been bad, but i can assure you the pitches didnt help too many people either.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr. P said:
Now just a minute. Drawn Test matches? The rate of them has decreased a LOT over the last 20 odd years.

Yes, maybe the batsmen friendly pitches are *shock* batsman friendly, but you can't say they don't produce results and close games as well...
certainly the wickets in australia have gotten more batsman friendly then they were 5-10 years ago. and batter friendly pitches rarely produce results or close games, in most cases it requires one team to play complete rubbish and lose focus to do so. certainly a bowler friendly wicket provides much closer games than those.

tooextracool

International Coach
Son Of Coco said:
You'd be talking about the two matches in the North? I think you'd find that neither of those wickets are prepared as well as the Gabba, MCG, Wacca etc due to the fact that they are not regularly used for international cricket. Considering that the last test was at a venue regulary used for first-class cricket you'd probably expect better.
yes and where were the complaints after cricket was played on those wickets?

Son Of Coco said:
To answer your question, yes I think he would seriously believe most wickets in australia are better. The one I played on this weekend was better, and there won't be any international games there ever.
i dont think so, IMO they've gotten too flat, and flat wickets take the fun out of cricket.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think the 3 wickets we saw during the 2001 Border Gavaskar Trophy are the ideal wickets for Indian conditions. Especially the wicket at Chennai, both last time and this time produced contests which were very even.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
yes and where were the complaints after cricket was played on those wickets?

i dont think so, IMO they've gotten too flat, and flat wickets take the fun out of cricket.
I agree that there should be more in the wicket for everyone. But I don't think a two day test would really be considered to be fun - especially for the people who bought tickets to days 3, 4 and 5 haha.

I thought there were comments made after the first test in Darwin?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
certainly the wickets in australia have gotten more batsman friendly then they were 5-10 years ago. and batter friendly pitches rarely produce results or close games, in most cases it requires one team to play complete rubbish and lose focus to do so. certainly a bowler friendly wicket provides much closer games than those.
Why do Australia win so often if so many tests are just 'five days of boredom with the batsmen smashing the bowlers out of the park'? There seems to be more results, yet according to your post, most games should be ending in draws.

tooextracool

International Coach
Son Of Coco said:
Why do Australia win so often if so many tests are just 'five days of boredom with the batsmen smashing the bowlers out of the park'? There seems to be more results, yet according to your post, most games should be ending in draws.
out of the last 6 tests, 3 have been draws, and 1 was just as bad as the wicket we just witnessed.
and over the last few years or so, the reason why australia has won as much as they have, is the combination of their brilliant bowling attack and quicker scoring rates.

tooextracool

International Coach
Son Of Coco said:
I agree that there should be more in the wicket for everyone. But I don't think a two day test would really be considered to be fun - especially for the people who bought tickets to days 3, 4 and 5 haha.
i never said it was, but certainly if something like this happened once in a while there is nothing wrong with it. what i dont like is the fact that certain australians prefer to whine and moan about it, despite the fact that the wickets that they produce arent significantly better.

Son Of Coco said:
I thought there were comments made after the first test in Darwin?
comments? maybe
complaints and suggestions to the ICC? never.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
tooextracool said:
what was sydney like then?
brisbane would have been just as bad had it not rained.
and cairns wasnt exactly another brilliant wicket either.
I wasn't even around to see that Test, so I can't say what Sydney was like. All I can see is the scorecard, and we all know that they can be deceiving. However, I don't think you can use one Test where the bowlers toiled thanklessly as a basis for complaining about the standard of Test pitches on the whole, when that Test was an abberation. It doesn't happen all the time.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Casson said:
I wasn't even around to see that Test, so I can't say what Sydney was like. All I can see is the scorecard, and we all know that they can be deceiving.
and i did, and i can assure you that even as bad as that aussie attack was, they wouldnt have given anywhere near 700 runs and still not take all the wickets unless the wicket was disgracefully flat.

Mr Casson said:
However, I don't think you can use one Test where the bowlers toiled thanklessly as a basis for complaining about the standard of Test pitches on the whole, when that Test was an abberation. It doesn't happen all the time.
i actually mentioned 2 others, which makes it 3 out of the last 6.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
tooextracool said:
i actually mentioned 2 others, which makes it 3 out of the last 6.
So what? It's still not a huge scope to make a judgment. You'd better be prepared to eat humble pie when the Tests are over this season.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
i think the gabba has been a bit stiff. usually the weather that causes a draw, and is has plenty of swing and seam. adelaide gives something to everyone. sydney has been dry and flat traditionally, as it was last year. australian pitches were made to look a lot flatter by the ordinary bowling by both teams, barring patches from agakar and gillespie.

indian pitches are fantastic when they're made well, but with that type of wicket, there's less margin for error, as we saw in the 4th test. although credit where credit's due, michael clarke did play his first games of grade cricket as a spinner.

i wouldn't mind getting the indians back out on the WACA and showing them what a real pitch is like. get ready to call 000 fellas :@ only took one game on the waca last year for their whole team to lose confidence in australia.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
no it wasnt, the pitch in the first test vs SL, was exactly as bad as this wicket
How did you calculate that those two pitches were EXACTLY as bad as each other,

Awaiting your reply with interest,

Bemused,
New Zealand

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Casson said:
So what? It's still not a huge scope to make a judgment. You'd better be prepared to eat humble pie when the Tests are over this season.
you did say that it never happens, and i showed you that it has.
as far as me eating humble pie is concerned, i certainly hope that the wickets this season offer something for the bowlers, but it doesnt change the fact that the wickets have been just about as disgraceful over the last year or so and no ones been complaining.

tooextracool

International Coach
Voltman said:
How did you calculate that those two pitches were EXACTLY as bad as each other,

Awaiting your reply with interest,

Bemused,
New Zealand
well it was just about the same, given that there were 2 scores just above 200, 1 score just below 100, and 1 160 odd score.
so other than that last innings the scores were pretty even.
and i wouldnt have been surprised, if that would have changed significantly had murali played on that wicket.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
I don't think the pitch cost us the match.

Tendulkar and Laxman did. They came out with the attitude of attacking, something they had not done in the Tests previously, when they were defending and trying to survive. I don't think Gilchrist would've made a difference - look what happened in Chennai when Sehwag attacked? And of course Australia was hampered by Warne's injury.