• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gary Kirsten : the whistleblower

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
deeps said:
well, if it was indeed imran khan's idea, and he decided to put it to srikanth, who then agreed, it was "imran asked" isnt' it? :dry:
It could have been Srikanth's Idea too ? :p

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Son Of Coco said:
I don't think anyone asked for your sympathy.

It makes me sick when people come on here pointing the finger at one country, at least Kirsten had the balls to say his team was up there with Australia in the sledging stakes.......not like some poor innocent victims I could mention.
Ohh Looks like I touched a raw nerve here, Where did I acted like a Poor innocent victim, Where have I defended an Indian sledging others ?? If any Indian starts behaving the way Mcgrath does on the field, I would be very ashamed and stop watching Indian Cricket unlike many aussies who think that was a 'Very natural Australian thing' to do. Good for you and keep defending, I haven't got any sympathy for Mcgrath.

As for Sympathy, Well Mcgrath was indeed trying to gain sympathy and infact he got away with it just out of Sympathy..., 'oh he hurt me by talking about my wife, she is suffering from cancer, you know'.

And Please dont talk about balls, because when it comes complaining and whining you and your team are right up there especially when you are losing. Here are some examples :- 'Oh Sourav was 2 minutes late', 'Sourav reached 2 minutes early for the toss', 'Sourav tried to steal the toss', 'Sourav was not dressed for toss','Sourav ordered to doctor the pitch', 'Sarwan insulted my wife' blah blah blah.... My goodness there is no end to it.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
True, but India probably appeal more. Certainly where bat/pad chances are concerned.

Cultural difference maybe?
Yes, Indians appeal more and they are criticized by other teams, Cricketers, Fined by Umpires and sometimes even banned for their act. But Our Prime Ministers and Presidents dont come out and say 'hey that is a very Indian thing to do, we are really proud of you boys'.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
As for Sympathy, Well Mcgrath was indeed trying to gain sympathy and infact he got away with it just out of Sympathy..., 'oh he hurt me by talking about she is suffering from cancer, you know'.
I don't think he got away with it just out of sympathy.

tooextracool

International Coach
telsor said:
The infamous McGrath-Sarwan incident came about from Sarwan sledging McGrath ( something about his wife, who was under treatment for cancer at the time ).
works pretty well if you ask me, certainly isnt a bad idea to give them a little word back to shut them up once in a while.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sanz said:
Ohh Looks like I touched a raw nerve here, Where did I acted like a Poor innocent victim, Where have I defended an Indian sledging others ?? If any Indian starts behaving the way Mcgrath does on the field, I would be very ashamed and stop watching Indian Cricket unlike many aussies who think that was a 'Very natural Australian thing' to do. Good for you and keep defending, I haven't got any sympathy for Mcgrath.

As for Sympathy, Well Mcgrath was indeed trying to gain sympathy and infact he got away with it just out of Sympathy..., 'oh he hurt me by talking about my wife, she is suffering from cancer, you know'.

And Please dont talk about balls, because when it comes complaining and whining you and your team are right up there especially when you are losing. Here are some examples :- 'Oh Sourav was 2 minutes late', 'Sourav reached 2 minutes early for the toss', 'Sourav tried to steal the toss', 'Sourav was not dressed for toss','Sourav ordered to doctor the pitch', 'Sarwan insulted my wife' blah blah blah.... My goodness there is no end to it.
As I said, no-one has begun any post on here by asking for your sympathy.

- You said something along the lines of 'It makes me sick when people like you come on here and try to defend the **** your players have been pouring all over the world.' Now, maybe I read that wrong, but it seems as though statements like that lay the blame for sledging squarely at the feet of the Australian team (if, as I believed, 'your players' are the Australian team, and 'all over the world' is everyone else who plays cricket!?). My comment about having the balls to at least admit his team did the same related to a lot of other teams denying they do it altogether.........until some of their players are pulled aside for the same thing.

- You've obviously talked to many Australians about this, thus justifying your take on what 'many Australians' think. Your quotation marks around what you suppose McGrath said is interesting as I don't remember that statement being made. I thought McGrath admitted he'd done the wrong thing.

- I'm not defending McGrath's actions in that particular instance.

- 'Having the balls to admit his team was doing the same thing' has nothing to do with complaining or whining, as the player was still making a comment about the extent to which Australians use sledging, but he did at least say that they weren't alone. I don't think I wrote 'he had the balls to say his team also sledge, whilst whining about the Australians'. The incident you are talking about with Ganguly not turning up on time etc was a deliberate attempt (as admitted by the man himself) to put the Aussies off, and good luck to him if that's what he wants to do. As for the whining etc this is just a label you've placed on it yourself, not an official definition regarding the remarks made by the Australians in return. Similar to me calling everyone who complains about sledging a whinger...

- I wasn't aware there was a 'You can't say anything because you've been known to sledge' clause in the ICC's manual regarding what's considered to be fair play.

Son Of Coco

Sanz said:
Yes, Indians appeal more and they are criticized by other teams, Cricketers, Fined by Umpires and sometimes even banned for their act. But Our Prime Ministers and Presidents dont come out and say 'hey that is a very Indian thing to do, we are really proud of you boys'.
When did our Prime Minister say that!? Are you a journalist by any chance? Your ability to attribute quotes to people is remarkable.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Son Of Coco said:
When did our Prime Minister say that!? Are you a journalist by any chance? Your ability to attribute quotes to people is remarkable.
It's the sort of thing I could imagine him saying though.

"It has come to the attention of the prime minister's office that during the third test Glenn McGrath failed to question the ***uality or parentage of any of the Indian players. Nor did he suggest they lack moral fortitude or full control of their bowel movements. I consider this kind of behaviour down right un-bloody-Australian!"

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Son Of Coco said:
I guess this should be enough to SHUT YOU UP for good on this issue :-

"..The Prime Miniature combined two of his more spectacular traits - ignorance of sport and ignorance of contemporary moral values - when he told 3AW listeners on Wednesday that Glenn McGrath had done a "very natural Australian thing" when he gave Ramnaresh Sarwan a tongue-lashing on the field on Monday. "...

http://www.crikey.com.au/columnists/2003/05/16-sledge.html

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,6434411%5E1702,00.html

PM defends McGrath over clash

PRIME Minister John Howard has sprung to the defence of Glenn McGrath after the Australian fast bowler's ugly on-field exchange with West Indian batsman Ramnaresh Sarwan.

The pair clashed verbally in the fourth cricket Test in Antigua when McGrath apparently overreacted to a sledging exchange with Sarwan, who had made a reference to McGrath's wife Jane, who has cancer.

After the exchange, the Australian Cricket Board called on the Australian team to improve its behaviour.

However, Mr Howard said today he understood McGrath's reaction, and that it was "a very natural Australian thing to do".

While admitting he didn't know the exact sequence of events, Mr Howard told Melbourne radio station 3AW: "Well I've read, I mean if somebody did say something about his wife then I would understand fully his reaction

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Son Of Coco said:
But it is not as remarkable as Your ability to defend Mcgrath's behaviour. 8-)

By the I am just appalled at your ignorance, I mean haven't you read newspapers in last 2 years ?? This issue was widely reported in pretty much every newspaper in every cricketing nation. :p

Son Of Coco

Sanz said:
But it is not as remarkable as Your ability to defend Mcgrath's behaviour. 8-)

By the I am just appalled at your ignorance, I mean haven't you read newspapers in last 2 years ?? This issue was widely reported in pretty much every newspaper in every cricketing nation. :p
I'm not defending McGrath's behaviour, maybe you could get someone to read my post to you again :dry: I've taken note that the rest of the post escaped unscathed........

Apologies over the Howard comments, I never saw them (or heard about them), but then I was in Sweden for the last 4 months, in the UK for the 2 years before that though so I'm not sure how I missed it....although it may have been a mere sidenote there :p

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
In the circumstances I can fully defend his reaction.
You mean Mcgrath's ?? If Mcgrath's wife was suffering from Cancer and he was going through lot of stress because of that then he should have been much more careful in his choice of words.

And as a fan, how can you defend it or justify it when Mcgrath himself admitted that he was wrong and later apologized for his outburst ? :@

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Son Of Coco said:
I'm not defending McGrath's behaviour, maybe you could get someone to read my post to you again :dry: I've taken note that the rest of the post escaped unscathed........
I didn't reply to the rest of your posts because it would seriously derail the thread and to be very frank I dont really have that much time either to go over every point you made.

If you are not defending Mcgrath's behaviour then there is no point in discussing furthur, My point was clearly aimed at someone who was actually trying to defend Mcgrath's action by putting the blame on Sarwan claiming that it was Sarwan who sledged Mcgrath.

My stance on this issue :- Whoever crosses the line be it Indian, Australian or martian should not get away with it. And I would be ashamed if an Indian player does it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
You mean Mcgrath's ?? If Mcgrath's wife was suffering from Cancer and he was going through lot of stress because of that then he should have been much more careful in his choice of words.
When under that much stress the thought of choice of words was the last thing on his mind.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
When under that much stress the thought of choice of words was the last thing on his mind.
Marc, If, under stress, Do you ask batsmen what their colleague's D**K taste like ? :-O :wacko: :surrender :w00t:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'm not talking about his initial comment - I was talking about the reaction after Sarwan's reply.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Well, I was . Mcgrath should have known it better. There is no point in crying about it later on. He brought this upon himself. No blaming Sarwan.

If I am under stress or if someone in my immidiate family is seriously ill, I prefer to be quiet and respectful to others(even to close friends) and the least I can do is dont go around insulting others in order to avoid any such incident.