• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC to rebel players: You lied

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's pretty horrific that he's made the list of 100 greatest South Africans.

I presume the list is voted for by the public a la 100 greatest Britains the Beeb did a year or so ago? If he's there doubtless PW Botha will be too. :@

shaka

International Regular
I know this is a bit off the thread topic, but I noticed in the paper for our region, that ex Zimbabwe spinner Paul Strang has just made his debut for East coast bays club in Auckland. Hopefully he will play well and teach young player the art of spin bowling and tactics that he learned from playing international cricket.

i did not even realise he was in NZ

Sussexshark

Cricket Spectator
Ah, but SJ, it is he who has made it impossible for your 'decent' and 'right-thinking' Zimbabweans, black and white, to live free lives - at least not free in the way that you and I consider it.

And to answer Brumby, I don't know about PW but Verwoerd, the founding father of apartheid, was right up there, way ahead of leading ANC figures.

Has the ICC website got a Contact Us section? Probably not; they know darn well they would be overwhelmed by the likes of us slamming them for their 'custody' of the game. When you look at the names of the officials you have to ask 'Who he?' Did Speed play cricket, did Ehsan Mani play cricket, I mean at a level that would give there positions some credibility. Who is David Morgan? Who did he play for? I'm not saying that ex-cricketers would necessarily make better administrators, but there are some who would do a far, far better job of it than the current see-no-evil, hear-no-evil, speak-no-evil charlatans.

Oh my Hornby and my Barlow so long ago! When the game was a lot more innocent.

Oh Lord, showing my age again!

I'm out of here, ciao

Peter

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sussexshark said:
Ah, but SJ, it is he who has made it impossible for your 'decent' and 'right-thinking' Zimbabweans, black and white, to live free lives - at least not free in the way that you and I consider it.
Peter, I am not talking of the Zimbabweans (although they also throw up the remarkable Olongas and andy Flowers) . When I tralk of those who maquerade as 'decent' , 'right thinking ', I am refering to the Establishment of the International game which is outside Zimbabwe and should have trhe gumption of standing up to Mugabe. I refuse to say anything of Mugabe because I dont expect anything better of him not because I think he has nothing to answer for.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sussexshark said:
Has the ICC website got a Contact Us section?

but there are some who would do a far, far better job of it than the current see-no-evil, hear-no-evil, speak-no-evil charlatans.
Except for where naughty England (& Wales) are concerned, who must be threatened with ECB-crippling fines if they even dare to do anything 'out of line' like take the moral high ground. Other sport high-ups are just as bad tho, Ecclestone, Blatter - my words cannot due them justice and I'm a Scrabble player.

Sussexshark

Cricket Spectator
Hey, SJ, sorry if I misunderstood what you meant in your earlier post. I agree absolutely with what you say. I think everyone who has posted on this thread are very much in agreement over the spinelessness of sports administrators. Scaly has made a very good point re the swingeing fines the ECB would suffer if they dared take the moral high ground. But then, how can they when the government of this country would not have a clue what you were talking about if you asked them about morality?

I know, I'm a cynic...... but at least I'm a happy cynic!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sussexshark said:
Hey, SJ, sorry if I misunderstood what you meant in your earlier post. I agree absolutely with what you say. I think everyone who has posted on this thread are very much in agreement over the spinelessness of sports administrators. Scaly has made a very good point re the swingeing fines the ECB would suffer if they dared take the moral high ground. But then, how can they when the government of this country would not have a clue what you were talking about if you asked them about morality?

I know, I'm a cynic...... but at least I'm a happy cynic!
Thats okay friend. Its happened before :D

I like your passion on the subject though. Its strange how we can be so dispassionate discussing such dastardly behaviour and how we can take refuge behind semantics, technicalities, law of the land and/or, worst of all, threat of financial liability in matters involving principals.

Warne is god

U19 12th Man
The ICC are the cricket equivelent of the UN. All they do is squabble and waste time. Then they do investigations but never actually do anything.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Chingoka keeps Streak out in the cold

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/NOV/096712_ZIM_05NOV2004.html

The good old boys in the ZCU say to Streak, "you'll never work in this town again.", and prevent him from assisting a provincial coach with some bowling training for his team. The part that really irks me is where Chingoka explains why Streak had to be removed from the position:

""The appointments of the four provincial coaches were well-structured and done in consultation with the national team coach and national selectors," Chingoka told the government-controlled Herald newspaper. "Streak's involvement was irregular as it did not go through this process."

This is nonsense, because Streak was not applying for, nor contesting in any way a position as a provincial coach. He was on a VOLUNTARY basis, upon request, helping one of these provincial coaches out.

I'd say I hope the ICC are watching, but you'd have to wonder what difference it would make if they were.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
Being a child of the 80s, I didn't know who Eugene Terreblanche was, so I found this profile of the leader of the neo-Nazi, white supremacist, paramilitary Afrikaner Resistance Movement.
He was released recently from Jail... I think he had repented and served his time.. he was given a big doo in Pietersburg? Its still pretty interesting that SABC have decided to celebrate him though, I don't think I would.. Although Nelson Mandela was once a terrorist in a paramilitary movement...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Scaly piscine said:
Looks like another vomit-inducing whitewash from the ICC scum. Has that lot packed their bags and left London yet? If not, why not?
Never a truer word spoken..

These Zimbabwean cricketers have been persecuted (in terms of employment) more than the black Africans of Apartheid.. Not only are they persecuted by their Government, but they don't even have the sympathy of the international community..

These guys have done absolutely nothing wrong either.. Just played cricket in the spirit it was supposed to be played... But obviously they're not brown-nosed enough for the lackeys at the ICC...

Heath Streak is emerging in my book as a living legend.. Just read about his unpaid help with Manicaland, and how he was given a rousing reception by those of all races at the cricket ground... He is a true hero, the type that should be running things, not being treated like dirt...

Langeveldt

Soutie
BoyBrumby said:
It's pretty horrific that he's made the list of 100 greatest South Africans.

I presume the list is voted for by the public a la 100 greatest Britains the Beeb did a year or so ago? If he's there doubtless PW Botha will be too. :@
SABC have chosen not to air the programme and have issued an apology... Not their fault the people chose the way they did!

It was an interactive show, one with live voting... Hendrik Verwoerd at 19.. Beggars belief, but hardly surprising..

Its kind of like Germany voting for Adolf Hitler.. But I guess a number of people still would?

Last edited: