Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Finger Spin Megathread

International Regular
    I got back into cricket last season after 3-4 seasons off, trying to become a bit of a batting allrounder who can bowl handy offies. I'm capable of bowling some really good deliveries, I get a lot of turn and bounce on synthetic wickets but haven't been able to bowl on any turf wickets since my return. My issue is my consistency. I'll often throw up a full toss or drag down a half tracker, and it's something I plan on working on this off season by just doing a lot of target bowling.

Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Watching these vids and trying to make a 'checklist' of sorts to ensure your offbreaks come out well.

Grip
    -------
    - Fingers wide apart to get more spin
    - Hold the ball deep in the fingers but not too deep

Run-Up
    -----------
    - Balanced
    - Upright
    - Gain in momentum towards the stump
    - Bit of a jump
    - High arms to get more energy through the delivery
    - Land side-on - backfoot as close to parallel to the crease as possible
    - Shoulder pointing towards where you want the ball to go

Action
    ----------
    - Use left arm to pull you through
    - 'Up and over'
    - Deliver the ball with palm pointing the slips, seam pointing to leg slip.
    - Spin the ball hard
    - Pivot on backfoot
    - Land with body facing the batsman, ready for the catch.

Other Stuff
    ------------------
    - Focus on flight and turn
    - Get close to the stumps and try to deliver in a straight line - if you spin it hard enough it should drift away a bit.
    - Bowl slow. Put your energy into spinning the ball. Try and get it above the eyeline
    something crucial here to add is the rotation of the hips. a lot of power in cricket comes from the hips, and with spin bowlers its no different.

I''ll have to look at this at some point soon as a couple of the lads in the U13 side I manage want to learn how to bowl finger spin.

What's the key thing for starting to bowl it at that age?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Mac View Post
    15 posts (12 of which are you own) - yeah, it's a real "mega thread" alright!
    Number of posts isn't a requirement imo. For example you've got only 24 posts and you're definitely a mega ****.
    zorax and harsh.ag like this.

International 12th Man BackFootPunch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    I''ll have to look at this at some point soon as a couple of the lads in the U13 side I manage want to learn how to bowl finger spin.

What's the key thing for starting to bowl it at that age?
    Accuracy. And a captain who won't pull them off if they get hit for a couple of jammy boundaries.

Nah I say the first thing is to get them actually spinning the ball.

Make sure they are gripping it well, and releasing it with good revs and flight.

Then they can hone their accuracy.

ATM I've been re-building my action from scratch. Getting more revs than I used to, but still need to develop finger strength and accuracy. I also fell into the bad habit of bowling flat while searching for accuracy. Now I need to keep reminding myself to bowl it slow and flight it.

International Debutant Shady Slim's Avatar
    people say it is easier to bowl finger spin over wrist spin

well they are very wrong to me, i find it very difficult to bowl finger spin though my natural action is wrist spin

Over the past 2 years or so finget spinners all over the world, and all sorts of levels, are bring called for chucking. Its a bit of an epidemic. Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I have heard it said that Chuck Norris' googly would literally break legs.

Bent arms.

I was in the nets a month or so ago and this club team were practicing there too, so I joined them and an offspinner on their team gave me some advice.

One thing he told me to do was to keep my arm slightly bent. It would help extract more turn at a faster speed. Otherwise you need to be really slow through the air, or be an exceptional spinner of the ball.

I didn't do it, but it was eye opening. And there are a lot of young Asian spinners being taught this. The problem is that a bent arm usually leads to straightening. Its probably a lot more likely if the action isn't your natural one.

Cricketer Of The Year mr_mister's Avatar
    off spin was my greatest asset as a cricketer, although i overused my 'quicker one' too much. i use to rub my head before i bowled so the keeper would know to stand back. lol it was basically as fast as i could bowl off two steps, very poorly disguised too as my action sped up 500%.

but my regular offbreak was handy and moved a bit. i became an offie because i was never super quick and felt my mediums were a small fish in a big pond, where as with spin i felt i could sort of.. maximise my bowling ability. i found leggies impossible to land, but dammit they just have so many more variations in that field of spin, it bothered me theres not much you can do with offies. i still maintain every doosra looks very dodgy in terms of legality

anyyyway all this posting on this site recently has made me want to take up cricket again, ill probs sign up for a season in summer

Yooo offies have a ton of variety.

It's so much easier to have subtle variations in flight, pace and spin as an offie.

You can also bowl top spinners, arm balls, and hold the ball across the seam instead of along when bowling the offbreak.

If you ro your fingers right at the time of release, you could even bowl a carrom-ball style legbreak!

You also can create so much confusion with angles. Go wide of the crease, go around.

Offspin is so versatile. Slow it up or fire it in based on the pitch, keep mixing things up, and before you know it you've run through your spell for not many runs at all, and hopefully a couple of wickets.

Cricketer Of The Year mr_mister's Avatar
    yeah I guess I don't include changes in flight and pace as true variation in the sense I that I consider the googly, flipper and slider variation. It's probably 100% due to the fact the leg spinning variants get cool nicknames :S

Give you balls cool names. My stock delivery is more of a topspinner - bounces a bit, spins a little, easy to control. Then I've got the Looper (really slow loopy ball; 0 pace, dies after pitching), the Skidder (basically a faster topspinner that slides out of the hand - ends up skidding off the pitch) and the Saucer (stole that from Swann - bigger spinning offbreak that lands with the seam perpendicular to the pitch. Still a work in progress). Got a legbreak I can throw out once in a while with no real control, and am looking to eventually develop a backspinner - gonna call that one the Zorax.

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Slim View Post
    people say it is easier to bowl finger spin over wrist spin

well they are very wrong to me, i find it very difficult to bowl finger spin though my natural action is wrist spin
    The issue is if you can bowl wrist spin, the spin, dip and drift on offer is very encouraging. And the ability to produce that spectacular delivery is very high with wrist spin, and like a right arm fast bowler you could blast through lower orders. Off spin is much more planning and subtle, and that "money ball" is rare unless you are Muralitharan.

I myself as a leggie spin it one and half feet with regularity, and sometimes to pitch foot out side off and still miss the off by a foot or more. But I do bowl lot of crap as well. Usual figures were like 7-0-42-3 like (35 over competition). I have two six wicket hauls and few shockers of matches as well. Then I tried my hand in off breaks. There was not much spin, but flight and speed variations I was pretty good. Because I did not spin a mile, my arm balls were ineffective. Then I found that the front of the hand leg break is a much better alternative to a carrom ball with greater dip, control and some times pretty decent spin. It only needed me to open my action up a bit. Actually I started bowling side on and front on off breaks, hence the change in action is not noticed. I found that side on off break spins more and bounces, while the front on one slide, keeps low and gathers pace after pitching. So my performance became conssitent, but never had that dream spells that I had a legspin bowler. Best was 7-4-4-2, had one three wicket haul but I was expensive.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    looking to eventually develop a backspinner - gonna call that one the Zorax.
    Piece of cake. The seam up is a back spinner. It will swing away from the right hander at pace. Deadly against lefthanders if you are getting drift with your offies. Then over the wicket balls will straighten up with the drift and pitch on stumps. Better batsman eventually will start leaving them. Once you throw in that inswinger, which straightens in air, pitches on stumps and hit them, then they have to play at all the filth that they had been leaving before. Other back spinner is the variation of front of the hand leg break. Rotate the wrist so the palm faces right, fingers face left, and will produce the Warne's backspinner. It will tail in through the air, and may break away ever so slightly and keep low. Once you have two backspinners tailing in and out of batsmen, that will keep them guessing.

Hmm. The one I was going to develop is just the reverse of a topspinner.

Same grip as a topspinner (palm facing left) but instead of your fingers and wrist turning anti-clockwise, you turn them clockwise, pushing the ball out from the bottom of your palm and using the thumb to help spin it.

I've done it with a tennis ball; but never a proper cricket ball. I'm still just working on my runup and delivery for my stock offbreak; haven't even tried an orthodox topspinner yet!

Seam-up deliveries are a nice variation I want to use though. As well as a normal offbreak but with a scrambled seam.

Not sure about the legbreak style backspinner. I have tried throwing in a legbreak for variation in the nets, and the batsmen have said it is really easy to pick. Can't disguise it enough with my current runup and action.

Have you had any luck with the carrom ball? Or the doosra?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information