• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Finger Spin Megathread

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Everyone has these little mental tricks to get loop. Some people think about reaching up to grab something, others think of screwing a lightbulb. I learnt a really neat trick the other day regarding fingerspin. It's more a physical change than mental though.

So you start by holding the ball in your dominant hand with the typical offspinners grip. Thumb on or off is up to you but I find this easier with it off. Then you take a couple of steps from the crease to your mark, and here's the trick, you just keep walking and don't stop till you're outside the field because fingerspin is a disgrace to cricket.

cnerd123

likes this
Everyone has these little mental tricks to get loop. Some people think about reaching up to grab something, others think of screwing a lightbulb. I learnt a really neat trick the other day regarding fingerspin. It's more a physical change than mental though.

So you start by holding the ball in your dominant hand with the typical offspinners grip. Thumb on or off is up to you but I find this easier with it off. Then you take a couple of steps from the crease to your mark, and here's the trick, you just keep walking and don't stop till you're outside the field because fingerspin is a disgrace to cricket.
hahaha how funny.

Also please refrain from reminding us that finger spin isn't real bowling. I'll have to report you for spincial discrimination otherwise.
post reported

cnerd123

likes this
Man reading back this thread its disappointing how little progress I've made :(

I've somehow developed a little jump before releasing the ball - a lot more prominent than ever, but have found it helps me a lot with constantly releasing the ball with decent revs. I'm still working on trying to control that 'bowl into the air' vs 'bowl into pitch' thing with my release point, as well as trying to control whether I release the ball with a 90 degree seam (side spin) / 45 degree seam (regular offie) / straight steam (top spinner). I've just gotten into the habit where I just bowl what I feel - and overall that mindset has helped my bowling because, essentially, I'm thinking less and just letting my muscle memory take over. As it works out, it adds some nice subtle variations to my bowling without me even trying.

The second weird kink I've developed is an exageratted shuffle/stuttering of my feet before I enter my delivery stride. Again it's just this weird thing I got to do to feel like I'm running in with balance and control. And when i ignore it and just let it happen, I bowl better.

Spin bowling is very weird. I've given up on trying any variations because I just wanted to master my stock ball - be able to control the flight/speed/release angle at will.

Lets see where I'm at in another 2 years.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Fellow offie here. zorak, have you been videoed bowling and had the chance to look back over footage? This was like an epiphany for myself, as I could now see visually what I needed to do, and how I could I go about to improve etc

Is there a coach or friend that works with you from time to time and points out technical advice/reiterating the basics? Don't be too hard on yourself if this is not the case. Bowling (whatever the style) is an incredibly hard skill, and like alot of activities, it takes thousands upon thousands of hours practice to gain an understanding of your craft and deliver results consistently.

Three points that have helped me gain some degree of competence in my bowling. They're not all technical so to speak but to instill psychological/mental toughness

1. Use your height. Stand nice and tall at the point of delivery
2. Take your time. This is an important one. One thing I was told by a coach is that you don't get penalised for bowling half a second or a second later. It's not something I'd ever have thought about, but to me it makes sense. Why rush through your action? Don't just take your time in your approach, but also in the gather, coil and release. You want to be relaxed at point of delivery so that all of your energy saved can be used for a strong and powerful follow-through
3. Get side-on. This is the number 1 key in order to spin the ball.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yep, being side on is so crucial in getting up and over your front knee, and driving through with the back hip -- both of which help body shape through the crease, adding to your ability to get overspin on the ball.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
First developed ulnar tunnel syndrome, and that means wrist flick of off breaks were gone, so reverted back to leg breaks. Then got an anterior cruciate ligament tear. And turned 41 as well. Gave up cricket two years back.

cnerd123

likes this
First developed ulnar tunnel syndrome, and that means wrist flick of off breaks were gone, so reverted back to leg breaks. Then got an anterior cruciate ligament tear. And turned 41 as well. Gave up cricket two years back.
Aww that's disappointing

Have you thought about taking up coaching/umpiring to stay involved?

cnerd123

likes this
I don't think fast bowlers can read tbh

But do a search, if you can't find any then create one. I think Goughy is a fast bowling coach, if he's still checking in he might post. We should have a couple of other fast bowlers here.

trundler

Gave it a look. There's the odd thread about some guy asking for tips but not one look this.

Daemon

It's taken 3.5 years but the finger spin 'mega'thread may just about reach 3 pages

cnerd123

likes this
Huge accomplishment

Maybe this will inspire the practitioners of all the lesser skills in cricket to start their own Megathreads to discuss them.

I, for one, am looking forward to some time over the weekend where i can look back through this Megathread and enjoy all threads, videos, advice and general wisdom laid out.

Maybe i'll explore the web for some new relevant content too, to add to this fine compilation of knowledge on the noble art.

Nice to see you're a fan Daemon, it's clear getting out to a finger spinner this last weekend has opened your eyes to the finer art. I look forward to seeing you continue to contribute constructively to this thread, and the forum in general, via your patented mix of snark, sarcasm, ill-thought out rants and general direness.

Daemon

Stand by this