• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How fast do i bowl?

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Longer runup isn't necessarily better.
True! About what suits your natural rhythm the best. Always had a longish runup myself, but each young bowler needs to decide that for himself. I do not take kindly to a coach interfering with a bowler's natural runup.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
True! About what suits your natural rhythm the best. Always had a longish runup myself, but each young bowler needs to decide that for himself. I do not take kindly to a coach interfering with a bowler's natural runup.
Run-ups. Gah. If I had a cookie for every time I'd seen a kid charge in from 20 yards and then stop dead in his tracks before slinging down a tasty slice of pie...

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Run-ups. Gah. If I had a cookie for every time I'd seen a kid charge in from 20 yards and then stop dead in his tracks before slinging down a tasty slice of pie...
That's not the run-up's fault :happy: Have seen the same thing actually, such a waste of energy.

You need a run-up you're comfortable with and that gets you to the crease at the point where you have the greatest momentum. It's about rhythm, not speed, with the run-up. You can run in as fast as you like, but if it throws you out of whack as you hit the crease then you'll probably overtake the ball on your follow through.

Never had a long run-up myself, about 14 paces and would walk 5 short steps past that as a walk into the run-up. Stayed the same for 12 years. It's good to get your run-up sorted out, makes it so much easier to be consistent.

Not sure if this was mentioned re: bowling fast before too, but if you're in your teens then there's every chance you'll get faster in your early 20's when you get stronger anyway.. I wouldn't push it by trying to run in like Usain Bolt now, as I doubt it'll actually make you bowl better.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Bit irrelevant, but judging by the charity match he played, even Usain Bolt doesn't charge to the crease.

sudhindra9

School Boy/Girl Captain
If you charge to the crease too fast then you probably won't have enough time for the finish. So you'll end up just releasing the ball instead of giving it serious revolutions.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
If you charge to the crease too fast then you probably won't have enough time for the finish. So you'll end up just releasing the ball instead of giving it serious revolutions.
Which is the actual reason that I think bowlers have very long run ups. It is easier to control your body if you're not accelerating at a particularly fast rate. At the same time, bowlers do not want to steadily jog in off 5 paces because they won't be going very fast. So they compromise and run in off a long run.

MrPrez

International Debutant
I run off a rather long line up (at least according to my mates) but I don't sprint it, I gradually get faster as I near the pitch.

I was timing myself at one point and I was shocked how slow I supposedly was. Then again, I was in school uniform and my mate was using an Iphone so the experiment was effectively rubbish.

I'm 16, I'd estimate that I bowl around 110-115kph. I'm the feared bowler in my team, I'd consider myself as fast, but not express. I'm from SA, so "fast" is probably faster than an Indian "fast" for example.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm 16, I'd estimate that I bowl around 110-115kph. I'm the feared bowler in my team, I'd consider myself as fast, but not express. I'm from SA, so "fast" is probably faster than an Indian "fast" for example.
Feared fast bowler at 16 bowling around 110-115kph sounds right to me.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Doesn't seem all that fast - we had a 10yo clocked at 85-90kph last summer (by Gloucestershire) so I would imagine "quick" 16s should be north of 120 at least.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Doesn't seem all that fast - we had a 10yo clocked at 85-90kph last summer (by Gloucestershire) so I would imagine "quick" 16s should be north of 120 at least.
The ordinary school does not have multiple players at county standard.

chicane

State Captain
In my experience most Indian pace bowling teens who are perceived as quick enough but not lightning fast hit about 100-110 kph, like my best mate who was quick enough to beat the bat more often than not, but at 18 in a speed contest his fastest ball got clocked at 110.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
In my experience most Indian pace bowling teens who are perceived as quick enough but not lightning fast hit about 100-110 kph, like my best mate who was quick enough to beat the bat more often than not, but at 18 in a speed contest his fastest ball got clocked at 110.
It's quite relative, in my modest understanding. Cooch-Behar, club cricket (very much dependant on which club we're talking about), U-19 and U-22 are all vastly different leagues and as you'd appreciate, the average batsman's comfort level against pace would be different.

In a top-notch Mumbai, Baroda, Chennai or Delhi club and especially against senior batsmen, I don't think 110 kph is all that quick. Remember that there are club cricketers who regularly face guys like Zaheer Khan, Munaf Patel, Ashish Nehra, Rakesh Patel, Siddharth Trivedi, Irfan Pathan, R P Singh et. al. in nets and matches.

As I often say, pace in the air is a hugely overrated and poorly understood term in general. 110 kph can be loopy nonsense or deceptively quick, depending on how much pace it gains off the pitch and the deliverer's natural attributes.

chicane

State Captain
It's quite relative, in my modest understanding. Cooch-Behar, club cricket (very much dependant on which club we're talking about), U-19 and U-22 are all vastly different leagues and as you'd appreciate, the average batsman's comfort level against pace would be different.

In a top-notch Mumbai, Baroda, Chennai or Delhi club and especially against senior batsmen, I don't think 110 kph is all that quick. Remember that there are club cricketers who regularly face guys like Zaheer Khan, Munaf Patel, Ashish Nehra, Rakesh Patel, Siddharth Trivedi, Irfan Pathan, R P Singh et. al. in nets and matches.

As I often say, pace in the air is a hugely overrated and poorly understood term in general. 110 kph can be loopy nonsense or deceptively quick, depending on how much pace it gains off the pitch and the deliverer's natural attributes.
Yeah agreed 110kph might not trouble bats of a higher standard, but point being there might not be a lot of kids bowling much quicker than that, and probably tends to zero 17 yo 140 kph merchants like Aamir, Lee etc. -)
Also PAT CUMMINS!

Last edited:

reddevil

Cricket Spectator
when i was 16 my coaches told i am bowling around 128 to 133 kph.... right now i am 20 left my cricket for few years and now they say i am around 133kph to 135kph... can some suggest me how to increase my speed i want to click around 140kph to 145

Joao

U19 12th Man
The guy who won the cricket show fast bowling comp (138kph) for the Gabba test this season played for my club until last season. I never faced him because he never came to training but his opening partner who is noticably slower bowls mid 120s and it is pretty fast as far as I am concerned.

Based on some of those guys that have been clocked from my club a reasonable estimate of pace is to get a juggs bowling machine and crank it up until it seems about the same as them and then add 5-10mph (the machine appears quicker as you don't get the arm just a ball out a hole). So old mate mentioned above is about the same as 70 on the bowling machine and his brother is about 5-8kph slower and comes out about 65 on the machine. Rough but gets you an idea. Of course, you need a bowling machine handy to do this.

Interesting side note, 90mph is ****ing fast and I hate the idea of getting a bouncer at that speed.

MrPrez

International Debutant
After watching angelo matthews in East London, I am covinced that I bowl around 120. In fact, I tweaked my run-up last practice so that I attack the crease more and I really felt like I gained another 5kph. Btw, I'm 16 turning 17 in march. I generally get some nice outswing. I rate I should move to india! :p

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think it's incredibly rare to get someone in their teens bowling exceptionally quick for their age. You generally have to be built a bit like an adult (i.e taller than average and stockier as well). I'm betting the 10 year old is more physically advanced than other blokes his age.

Hear about a bloke called Ollie Wicket (or something similar) from around the Devon area who was apparently clocked at 85mph...needless to say he wasn't that quick when we played him, and he got smashed all over the park.

karan62

Cricket Spectator
Im confused as im a 14 year old bowler ive always been exceptionally quick but at a radar gun speed competiition i was clocking 72 mph on average :/ whereas 16 year olds on here are having trouble with that im 5ft 10" and ive always been feared by ppl in my club do you think its true