• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batting & Bowling video

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
here is a link of me batting and bowling, i am in twenty 20 mode and having a go so to speak, what do you guys think?
YouTube - kirk Rowland in twenty 20 mode

comments please????
It looks very good apart from the one thing that drives me crazy. Why do you line yourself up the way you do?

The staggered feet and your left elbow pointing almost to midwicket means that your straight drive goes through wide mid-on.

Because of this your cover drives are in a huge arc that is difficult to control.

You are obviously composed, know what you are doing, strike the ball cleanly and Im sure you score runs but if I was coaching you Id try and straighten you up a little.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
TBH, it is still the same.

The left elbow comes into the left hip and your natural straight drive is through mid-on/midwicket.

Its not a problem per se but it makes playing through the offside more difficult. Its hard to get over the ball properly, harder to play through the covers and harder to have full control of the shot.

Compare the elbow position to that of David Fulton. The left elbow is kept high and pointing towards the bowler trather than collapsing.

His feet are similar to yours but he keeps his upper body in a good position.

There are great players with bigger technical problems than this, but you are obviously a good player and its such an obvious and simple thing to correct.

Good luck

Last edited:

spunbowler

Cricket Spectator
I see what you mean i am a little open with my shoulder, but seem to compenate with my swing, thus losing control and power, thanks a lot Goughy lad!!!!

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I see what you mean i am a little open with my shoulder, but seem to compenate with my swing, thus losing control and power, thanks a lot Goughy lad!!!!
No worries. I hope the pics I added to my previous post are working.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I enjoyed watching the video. It would be good seeing you face a few varying balls rather then just balls pitched at a good length to drive.

In games are you predominately a front foot player? Also I'd like to see you up against a left arm quick. I think you'll handle lefties pretty easily.

spunbowler

Cricket Spectator
To be fair mate, thanks for the encouraging comments by the way, if you check out the third video, that is all short pitched stuff, and i get sconned TWICE!!!! LOL :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
That ain't Peter Fulton, Goughy.

Horrific incident, that was.
Typo.

Shouldnt take away from the meat of what I am saying about the left elbow getting tucked into the hip. Its easily correctable and can slip into peoples game without them noticing.

Last edited:

micoach

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
That's a cracking spot Goughy. Have you noticed he tries to compensate a bit by leaning to the off side? Could cause issue with driving at wide balls and not quite getting there.

Correcting the elbow should also make him 'sit back' a bit more so his head is over his toe.

Precambrian

Banned
here is a link of me batting and bowling, i am in twenty 20 mode and having a go so to speak, what do you guys think?
YouTube - kirk Rowland in twenty 20 mode

comments please????
Good looking shots there.. but you appear to be a bit falling over front foot player and hence not getting right balance at times. Explains the edges.

BTW how tall are you?

EDIT : As always, I read the first post and posted my opinion. Read Goughy's post only later and saw he has superbly analysed it.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You like like you bat pretty well mate, one thing I noticed is that you seem to square yourself up to anything short of length on off-stump (3rd video). It seemed to result in edges towards slips/gully. As a bowler it's nice to watch (as it's a classic dismissal :happy:), but it may cause problems.

You've probably heard enough from the other guys anyway though, and I'm wondering if taking Goughy's advice about the elbow would go some way to fixing this... A mate of mine that's a lefty does the same thing, and it ends up in tears haha

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ive done exactly that before and during a trial for a County Cricket Club.

During catching warmups a ball went straight through my hands and into my eye. Massive swollen eye and I couldnt see. Luckily nothing broken. Fair to say it didnt help my potential career.

I feel for this guy a little, it looks bad but it hurts more.
I copped a straight drive in the mouth when bowling in 5th grade, from a guy who should have been up in 3rds. Lost a tooth (later another) and broken top jaw. Was good for my bowling though, I learned where short of a length was very quickly. :happy: Got my own back in the following years.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I copped a straight drive in the mouth when bowling in 5th grade, from a guy who should have been up in 3rds. Lost a tooth (later another) and broken top jaw. Was good for my bowling though, I learned where short of a length was very quickly. :happy: Got my own back in the following years.
The batsman hit the ball back at you (the bowler) and it smacked you in the face? :-O

That sounds very painful.

spunbowler

Cricket Spectator
Hi Lads,
Thanks a bunch for all your comments, it is greatly appreciated, i have a trail at Sussex county cricket club next week, TBH i am more of a all rounder, i pigeon hole myself as a bowling all rounder, suprised i didnt get many comments about my bowling (its at the end of the twenty 20 short video).

So needless to say i need all the advice i can get, i am 20 years old, 6 foot 6 inches tall, bowl about 80MPH at the moment, got the same rotating shoulder cuff as Stuart broad, once again thanks very much, and keep the comments coming.
Cheers Kirk