• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Loss of confidence

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Interesting.

You are nearly there so you had may as well do it, but Id be back on the sauce as soon as November hits.
Way ahead of you. Have taken the whole of the first week of November off work. :ph34r:
Ignoring alcohol and its amazing properties :ph34r:
Just the fact you are putting yourself through something you describe as 'hard work' seems to be adding extra stress when you dont need it. Being relaxed and stress free is valuable in sport and this seems to be an extra barrier to hurdle.
Yeah, fair point.

Fezza_8600

Cricket Spectator
I sometimes get very scared playing leg side shots, especially if its full-pitched right on my front-foot shoe, I always try flicking it off, I get hurt a lot at training AND the game, so I just work around it by getting my front leg out of the way and playing it defensive.

This made me lose a lot of confidence although I'm managing now, I always think about the positive things about me when playing,...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jack, do you find it difficult as a young spinner to get a decent bowl these day? I heard Jenner (I thin) on the radio up here a few weeks ago and he was saying part of the problem with development of slow bowlers is the amount of limited overs bowling they do, which negates flight. He also said it can be difficult when a captain doen't have faith to persist with a spinner if they get tonked a bit early in the spell.

Have you had that experience, or has that not been a prob for you so far?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Had a bit of a problem with that this year. Captain wanting me to bowl darts, and giving me a spray for tossing some up and getting hit for boundaries off them. Now I can't toss one up with any work on it when I do need to. Really looking forward to the two dayers.

Before this year, I've felt pretty good about bowling in one dayers, just changes of pace regularly and not letting the batsman get into a rhythm. But it definitely does change how you bowl, and limits how good a FC spinner some players could be.

WRT getting a decent bowl, don't really have that trouble. Ended up bowling the most overs in the competition last year. So I can't hang it on my captain too much!

Matt79

Global Moderator
There have been enough sincere and helpful suggestions in this thread that I don't feel too guilty posting the first thing that came to mind when I saw the title:

Hi, you might remember me from such self-help films as "Lead Paint: Delicious but Deadly" and "Get Confident, Stupid!"....

Benaud

Banned
There have been enough sincere and helpful suggestions in this thread that I don't feel too guilty posting the first thing that came to mind when I saw the title:

Hi, you might remember me from such self-help films as "Lead Paint: Delicious but Deadly" and "Get Confident, Stupid!"....
You're funny dood.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I can't flick (back or front foot) down leg side in matches. In games, I am pro at it, and pull it off 80% of the time. I get onto the ball about 10% of the time in matches. I was dismissed on Saturday LBW trying to flick a ball on leg stump after I had made a start. Disappointing.

luffy

International Captain
Practice makes perfect mate.

Remember last season i couldn't score anything, couldn't flicky off my legs or anything, but already this season i've been batting with confidence and batting well in my opinion.

Fezza_8600

Cricket Spectator
Yer, I also find it difficult to play leg side shot that are full pitched. I try tapping but I don't know any correct technique. Two of our batsman on Saturday were out because both spooned sitters to Square Leg with mistimed legside shots...

Jake, what team do you play for within Sydney? If we're in the same district, our team might play you.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Practice makes perfect mate.

Remember last season i couldn't score anything, couldn't flicky off my legs or anything, but already this season i've been batting with confidence and batting well in my opinion.
I can't score much at all, I score about 10 runs per 50 balls, not very fast. I need to learn to play more shots, and back myself to hit boundary balls.

Yer, I also find it difficult to play leg side shot that are full pitched. I try tapping but I don't know any correct technique. Two of our batsman on Saturday were out because both spooned sitters to Square Leg with mistimed legside shots...

Jake, what team do you play for within Sydney? If we're in the same district, our team might play you.
I don't play in Sydney. I am in Coffs Harbour.

Fezza_8600

Cricket Spectator
I can't score much at all, I score about 10 runs per 50 balls, not very fast. I need to learn to play more shots, and back myself to hit boundary balls.

I don't play in Sydney. I am in Coffs Harbour.
Oh... I see... That's quite a distance away from Sydney...

Don't worry, I'm a very slow scorer too. I stayed in for about 45-50 minutes once and only made 23 runs - all were singles and twos. And 23 is my highest... yours?

Have you ever hit a six? Hit my first ever on Thursday... :laugh:

Jakester1288

International Regular
Oh... I see... That's quite a distance away from Sydney...

Don't worry, I'm a very slow scorer too. I stayed in for about 45-50 minutes once and only made 23 runs - all were singles and twos. And 23 is my highest... yours?

Have you ever hit a six? Hit my first ever on Thursday... :laugh:
My highest is 38 not out, was going then, hitting boundaries. Maybe it's having the heavier bats that is wrecking my fast scoring abilities.

And no, I've never hit a six.

How old are you?

Uppercut

If you have trouble with leg-side shots, on the advice of Sir Geoffrey Boycott, every time you bat in the nets take an off-stump guard. Bat like this until you're good at it, then in a match go back to your normal stance.

Jakester1288

International Regular
If you have trouble with leg-side shots, on the advice of Sir Geoffrey Boycott, every time you bat in the nets take an off-stump guard. Bat like this until you're good at it, then in a match go back to your normal stance.
I like that idea, I will try it if I remember.

Fezza_8600

Cricket Spectator
My highest is 38 not out, was going then, hitting boundaries. Maybe it's having the heavier bats that is wrecking my fast scoring abilities.

And no, I've never hit a six.

How old are you?
I'm 14... I play in under 15's.
And you're 12 right? You're really good for your age.

Thanks for the advice...
But man... I am very fearful of some of my own team's bowling in the nets, they pitch them short and they swing back in like mad, hits my thigh even with a guard on it hurts. I guess you'd pull those or hook those but the ball's so fast I just get on the back foot and defend them...

I wonder if taking a leg-stump guard in a real game would increase your runs... For the fuller deliveries just block them... If they're short you have enough room to go fishing and pull off a nice cut shot.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I'm 14... I play in under 15's.
And you're 12 right? You're really good for your age.

Thanks for the advice...
But man... I am very fearful of some of my own team's bowling in the nets, they pitch them short and they swing back in like mad, hits my thigh even with a guard on it hurts. I guess you'd pull those or hook those but the ball's so fast I just get on the back foot and defend them...

I wonder if taking a leg-stump guard in a real game would increase your runs... For the fuller deliveries just block them... If they're short you have enough room to go fishing and pull off a nice cut shot.
I'm 13. I have 2 decent pace bowlers and one express quick in my team. I have been hit on my inner thigh last season and had a bruise for a week. I have taken off in a game, and only leg to a left armer.

Uppercut

Thanks for the advice...

Got a solution to that too :)

Play completely padless somewhere very bouncy (like a pavement) with a tennis ball until you trust your hooking, pulling and dodging enough to pull it off against the hard ball. If you can't find a pavement, just play backyard cricket with a few planks of wood or scaffolding down on a length. Hooking and pulling is mainly a confidence thing, there's no point putting yourself in danger in the nets to get good at it- a whack to the helmet will do you no good at all.

Fezza_8600

Cricket Spectator
Got a solution to that too :)

Play completely padless somewhere very bouncy (like a pavement) with a tennis ball until you trust your hooking, pulling and dodging enough to pull it off against the hard ball. If you can't find a pavement, just play backyard cricket with a few planks of wood or scaffolding down on a length. Hooking and pulling is mainly a confidence thing, there's no point putting yourself in danger in the nets to get good at it- a whack to the helmet will do you no good at all.
That's good advice...
Will do!

I'm 13. I have 2 decent pace bowlers and one express quick in my team. I have been hit on my inner thigh last season and had a bruise for a week. I have taken off in a game, and only leg to a left armer.
You an all-rounder, bowler, or batsman? Pace or spin?
I would consider myself an all-rounder... I think I can do both quite well, especially in batting, moving from like 5-6th drop to 2nd drop...

luffy

International Captain
Quite often people think that is a bad thing.

I'm exactly like that. Can't score quick at all. What you need to do is work the balls around for 1s and 2s, don't worry about boundaries until your seeing the ball great, than start hitting the bad balls.

Simple.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I'm a medium pace bowling pure allrounder. I can't tell what I do better, but I captained my school team and got 2/2 with the ball and I got around 1/15 in club on Saturday. I rate myself, and I swing the ball a mile. I bowl outswing btw.

I don't try to bowl fast at all anymore, I just concentrate on my line, not so much my length. Speed will come later.