Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Reserve Days in ICC tournaments: Arguments for/against?

Cricket Web Staff Member Black_Warrior's Avatar

Reserve Days in ICC tournaments: Arguments for/against?

Look I know it never rains in England in June so this is just a silly thought exercise but humour me. What are some of the arguments against having reserve days in these tournaments? For example the Bangladesh vs Australia game - why couldn't we continue the match on the following day?

1) Is it an issue of conditions - conditions different the next day, hence won't be fair for the teams?
    2) Is it a broadcast issue? - Broadcaster has another match scheduled for the following day and would not be able to broadcast two games at the same time?
    3) Anything else?
    indiaholic likes this.
    Cricket's moral worldview:

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."

logistical nightmare i'd imagine. Plus you get situations where the scheduled reserve day isn't required and the weather on that day is good, but since it's the reserve day there is no cricket planned for it, and then it rains the day after.

How many reserve days to you keep too. One for every game? That makes the tournament twice as long in length. And again, situations where an unused reserve day is clear while a required reserve day gets rained out will occur and everyone will just get annoyed.

I'd only keep a reserve day for the FInal.
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    TBF, broadcasters can play 2 games at the same time. Most of them have more than 1 channel to show. And having a reserve day for a game does not mean you do not schedule any other game at the same time. It simply means if the original game is rained off, there will be 2 games the next day instead of 1. I really think ICC should look into that.
    zorax and indiaholic like this.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    It's hard to comment without knowing what goes behind the scenes in organising a large scale tournament, but I think there should be 1 full reserve day for each Test match.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    I don't think it'd be that much of a logistical problem for something like this tournament, except for the TV aspect of it.
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blo...cricket-legacy

Brad McNamara ‏@bbuzzmc
    Will say this once and then nothing else. Defamation laws quite clear in Aus.be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    logistical nightmare i'd imagine. Plus you get situations where the scheduled reserve day isn't required and the weather on that day is good, but since it's the reserve day there is no cricket planned for it, and then it rains the day after.

How many reserve days to you keep too. One for every game? That makes the tournament twice as long in length. And again, situations where an unused reserve day is clear while a required reserve day gets rained out will occur and everyone will just get annoyed.

I'd only keep a reserve day for the FInal.
    Yeah but you can still have another match scheduled just like normal.
    So the BD-AUS game goes to reserve day, and the following day will see continuation of that match plus England vs New Zealand as per schedule

Is there a logistical problem with that? The other question is that of venue and this tournament was played over just 3 venues. That is a problem. We will have to spread it out a bit more.

Master of the house, keeper of the zoo...
    Only issue I see is getting bums on seats at the grounds on reserve days. People don't generally go to the cricket on a whim.......it's a planned event and requires organisation; day off work, travel and accommodation etc.

Do you want to see empty grounds for major ICC tournaments?
    zorax and Howe_zat like this.
    The summer of Jimmy

JM Anderson (ENG) 7 14 236.3 72 550 39 7/42 9/73 14.10 2.32 36.3 3 0

We saw a lot of empty grounds in the last World Cup - South Africa v Sri Lanka quarter final being a glaring example. And it will be free entry for the people who had tickets on the previous day anyway. Maybe just have it free entry for everyone as the majority of the revenue will be from broadcast anyway.
    zorax and indiaholic like this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    Only issue I see is getting bums on seats at the grounds on reserve days. People don't generally go to the cricket on a whim.......it's a planned event and requires organisation; day off work, travel and accommodation etc.

Cricket with lesser crowd >>>> Rain with a packed house, no?

Also, you are overestimating how often it might happen. The priority should always be to get the game done that day, even if it is a 20-20 over match. But when even that is not possible, you use the reserve day. I dont see a problem with that line of thought.

Actually if reserve days were kept on the weekends and people who had tickets to the original days play could get in for free + reduced prices for tickets at the gate, then that might still work.

Probably is TV Schedules tho. Broadcasters might have other programming or events scheduled for that time, and if the original match day gets rained out, they might not be able to show the reserve day's play.

I think all this could be avoided if the ICC just streamed ICC events online instead of selling TV rights tho

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post

Yeah this is what i was thinking. The reason it doesn't happen is probably because they just can't get any money from them.
    What if all the switches get stuck on 'destroy'?

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Theresa May suggests playing it in Qatar

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Should definitely have them for knock out games. Not sure about the rest. Probably easier to do in a CT than a WC.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    I think all this could be avoided if the ICC just streamed ICC events online instead of selling TV rights tho
    do you want cricket to stop having money

Master of the house, keeper of the zoo...
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    do you want cricket to stop having money
    They would be paid streams. I for one would love to pay the ICC say $20 p/m to have access to all international cricket rather than the $50 p/m I pay now for 40 odd channels of shite.
    zorax, Bijed and Justo like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information