• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5th Test at The Oval, London

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
This feels a bit 2013 Fifth Test where both teams get a bit funky and it risks backfiring on both of 'em.
Back when I had to go to the trenches to defend the selection and performance of Woakes and Forkers Faulkner made an actual debut instead of a meme one. Good times.

aussie tragic

International Captain
So team is:

1. Warner
2. Harris
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
5. Wade
6. Marsh
7. Paine
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

12. Siddle

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I made my disdain for the idea of Marsh coming in for a batsman well known on the last page, but it being Head and not Wade really makes it three times worse.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Gee, I know he's dropped off a bit in the past two Tests but Head dropped instead of Wade is pretty amazing. Without him Oz probably lose the 2nd Test.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Far out the selection policies have gone from bad to worse. Marsh is literally the worst player in the squad. Why is he getting a game?

And dropping Head to do it is by far the most bizarre call.

So from the last summer, Australia has literally got no batsmen who haven't been dropped at one point or another.

Burns
Harris
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Head
Patterson

None of those have played every ashes test.

How the hell is this long, or even medium term thinking. Head must be devastated. Just an absolutely atrocious decision all round.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I feel for COverton there. Didn't do much wrong, but a weird selection in the first place.

Head out for MMarsh also fairly surprising imo.
Yeah, full agreement on both.

COverton especially has been pretty royally stiffed if you ask me. I must admit I reserve doubts about the long term effectiveness of his bowling as a test weapon (he's one of those bowlers who looks deceptively slow; big tall lad charging in and it comes out 82mph max with good weather and a following wind), but he's game and he really dug in with the bat second innings, getting us a lot closer to saving the test than I thought we would (or frankly had any right to).

Surely he warrants more than one test, given the largesse shown to Messrs Denly, Roy, Bairstow and Buttler so far this test summer? ****ing batsman's game, innit?

Head has been done over slightly too. Wade's more-or-less completely downhill effort at Brum in the second dig aside (really the batting equivalent of putting the boot into a prone fighter after SPD Smith has knocked him sparko), he's not really shown anything. Head has wasted a few good starts, but at least he's made them to piss away.

Groundking

International Debutant
I sincerely hope not, I know things are bad with our batting but surely we're not expecting a bowling 'all-rounder' to ease our fears.
His future is as a batsman imo, may as well try him out up the order now rather than later.

Burns
Denly
Root
Stokes
Buttler
Curran
Bairstow
Woakes
Archer
Broad
Leach

Though I would be tempted to bat Archer at 11 as he's shown nothing with the bat so far and looks a bit clueless with one.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think Overton was always essentially horses for courses. Root had a lot to say about the extra bounce at Old Trafford when he was asked about the change so I think they'd almost decided to drop him again for this game before he'd even played. If he'd taken eight wickets they might have reconsidered but I think him playing just the one Test was always the default option.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
So it's

Burns
Denly
Root
Stokes
Bairstow
Buttler
Curran
Woakes
Archer
Leach
Broad

Guessing that's the order but let's see

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hope it means Cummins is playing and they've brought him in as cover. Certainly wouldn't be there for his batting.

Also, every player in the squad except for Neser will have played a test now, won't they? Can't recall that happening before.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hope it means Cummins is playing and they've brought him in as cover. Certainly wouldn't be there for his batting.

Also, every player in the squad except for Neser will have played a test now, won't they? Can't recall that happening before.
Especially not in a winning series.

aussie tragic

International Captain
I called for Marsh to be included last Test so looking forward to all the haters tasting it when he produces a total of 100 runs and 5 wkts over the match ;)

For the record, I'm a Marsh hater and he should have never made the squad, but the bats have not performed and we need his bowling. Head has also been extremely frustrating with 7 scores between 12 and 20 in his 22 innings.