Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 7 of 336 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast
Like Tree1142Likes

Thread: 1st Test, Edgbaston, Birmingham

Hall of Fame Member TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Yep, you turn those 3/50 scores even into 3/100 and you've got a much more competitive team.

Meanwhile, Australia keep finding players and then dropping them for the Langer favourites.
    so cringey just stahp

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Will be so interesting to see how Smith goes. Sort of expect Warner to be Warner but the series is probably decided on whether TPC comes back at something approaching his best.
    My main worry with Smith is that even at his best he always seemed vulnerable on dicey wickets. I guess that could apply to any batsman but there are a couple who could score runs regardless, Smith always seemed to fail on them.

I think the toss will be key. Obviously England still beat Ireland despite being shot out for <100 but Australia's bowling is a lot better than theirs when the ball isn't hooping (and more importantly, our batting >>> theirs) so I don't think Australia will let up if they can roll England. My main worry is that I suspect our bowling will have moments where they just get it somewhat wrong. Which is why picking the right bowling is so important.
    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy 1988-2014. 63* for eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    so cringey just stahp
    I'll stop when players are picked on merit instead of the whims of Langer.

What did Marsh do to earn a call up?
    What did Patterson/Burns do to get dropped from the squad?
    What did Siddle do to earn a call up?
    What has Harris done to retain his spot?
    What has Labuschagne done to earn a call up?

It's Langer picking favourites. Second div county form has never been worth anything before and there's no compelling reason to start counting it now.

You don't just drop players who have been performing at test level because they don't have success on a raging green top in a glorified centre wicket practice.

Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    My main worry with Smith is that even at his best he always seemed vulnerable on dicey wickets. I guess that could apply to any batsman but there are a couple who could score runs regardless, Smith always seemed to fail on them.
    I think Smith generally did better than anyone else even on dicey wickets. It just seemed that he didn't do as well because those kind of wickets can be a lottery and you can get out easily despite doing nothing wrong, and compared to flatter wickets where he just didn't ever get out it looks worse in comparison.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar

I think the toss will be key. Obviously England still beat Ireland despite being shot out for <100 but Australia's bowling is a lot better than theirs when the ball isn't hooping (and more importantly, our batting >>> theirs) so I don't think Australia will let up if they can roll England. My main worry is that I suspect our bowling will have moments where they just get it somewhat wrong. Which is why picking the right bowling is so important.
    yeah it will be interesting, though tbh immediately pre-ban he had probably developed even further since the 2016 tour. He had that tour of India where he scored runs for fun on virtually every wicket they could prepare - not green seamers, but ones where it was doing a bit. He's not impervious to getting out early if it's moving, but i still think if he gets to twenty odd he'll basically set like concrete and you can start preparing for the next test. I'd still back him to completely bat in that bubble of his once he's in, so it's going to be vital for England to nail him before he gets set. Once he's in, he (used to, anyway) rarely gives a chance.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    My main worry with Smith is that even at his best he always seemed vulnerable on dicey wickets.
    You mean like when he scored 48* out of 85?

Smith did get four 70+ scores in the WC and had a fewr really unlucky dismissals. He performed at about his par for the format so I'm confident he can score plenty in tests
    cricket rules brah

Quote Originally Posted by mr_mister View Post
    Smith did get four 70+ scores in the WC and had a fewr really unlucky dismissals. He performed at about his par for the format so I'm confident he can score plenty in tests
    Yeah he was fine in the WC, would have done a lot better and probably had a similar tournament to KW if Warner & Finch didn't keep putting on 100+

International Debutant
    Has Alex Carey been sent back to Aus? The guy showed more class, admittedly in a different format, than a few of the probables in the line-up.

Ah, see Waugh Jr. and Warne are on it already.
    Singh767 likes this.

I think he has a county contract, so he's over there and close by should he be required for a call up.

Would have been great to have Carey in the line-up. Probably the first time both sides would have had 2 wicketkeepers in their playing XI.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Very likely to anyway, with Wade a good chance to play. Hope he does, actually, even if it means it's leftie-heavy. Bloke is in epic form.

I suspect they'll run with

Bancroft
    Warner
    Khawaja (apparently fit and running as well as he can at any given time)
    TPC
    Head
    MMarsh (I would absolutely play Wade over him)
    Paine
    Patto
    Cummins
    GOAT
    Haze

It's not a bad side. If Wade played it would actually be a pretty decent one imo. Marsh getting a run just leaves a gaping hole in the middle order for the Poms to charge straight through. can see us going from 3/180 to 6/210 in no time with him there.

You've got Bancroft, the Pillow and Head all unproven in England, and MMarsh a proven failure everywhere. If Wade played instead, you'd back him to make a few decent scores given his form and that he's been braining it over there for the A team.
    Last edited by Burgey; 29-07-2019 at 01:08 AM.
    harsh.ag likes this.

Hope Marsh is nowhere near the XI.

He's honestly the worst selection. Hasn't done anything to suggest a recall is worthwhile.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend morgieb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
    You mean like when he scored 48* out of 85?
    What about the time he failed to reach 10 in four consecutive innings in the 2015 Ashes?

International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    What about the time he failed to reach 10 in four consecutive innings in the 2015 Ashes?
    Does that prove anything more than what I put up? Low scores can come in clusters you know, doesn't prove that he's more vulnerable than would reasonably be expected on 'dicey' pitches.

Page 7 of 336 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread Information