Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 115 of 336 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125165215 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,725 of 5036
Like Tree1142Likes

Thread: 1st Test, Edgbaston, Birmingham

vcs
    Request Your Custom Title Now! vcs's Avatar
    In ordinary circumstances, I'd say it's just a par total with the fightback from 122/8 making it look much bigger than it actually is. Given the current state of England's batting, coupled with Australia having a good attack, it's a bit above par IMO. But things can change obviously. Australia may bowl poorer than we expect or England might come out and bat well for a change.

You should all be grateful for these piercing insights.

International Debutant
    @zorax: Do umpires get regular physicals/vital signs evaluated? I ask because other than Taufel I can't think of another umpire in decent physical condition. I understand that's not the overriding criteria for the job, but surely being overweight adversely affects concentration levels whilst standing six hours a day.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    I never mentioned our batting at all I know it is poor, just saying that Siddle played ok and showed up everyone else bar Smith in the same way Leach did last week for our lot. No idea why you are jumping on that when it is just a fact. Both line ups are crap with the bat and it wasn't even that difficult yesterday and the Aussies were in the **** at 120-8.
    Yeah but you're assuming I agree with your assessment of the deck and conditions, which I don't (opinions and all that). I think early on it decked quite a bit but not consistently, so rather than a green top or a bunsen, it was sort of a "you're never in" type deck, where the odd one would do enough to spook you.

I think Australia played too negatively at times yesterday too. Not normally an #intent kind of bloke, but in this instance there was decent enough reason to be more positive. I don't think you can let blokes like Broad and the poor man's Alderman just bowl at you. It gets back to confidence, and also strike rotation. By the time he got to 40 odd, Smith was milking singles brilliantly. So many of our top order don't seem to know how to drop it and run. And when blokes are bowling good areas on a deck doing a bit, it's a massive failing to stay on strike for a lot of balls in a row. Compare the approach of Khawaja and Bancroft as examples to Head, who was a lot more positive and backed himself. I suppose to an extent that comes from the knowledge your spot is safe, but he played really well imho. Feasted on the Ali filth, which any good leftie should.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

ďThe modern conservative is engaged in one of manís oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke
    #FreeShri
    #408. Sixty three not out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    In ordinary circumstances, I'd say it's just a par total with the fightback from 122/8 making it look much bigger than it actually is. Given the current state of England's batting, coupled with Australia having a good attack, it's a bit above par IMO. But things can change obviously. Australia may bowl poorer than we expect or England might come out and bat well for a change.

You should all be grateful for these piercing insights.
    Got a real feeling it's going to turn biggish with a bit of variable and Lyon will run amok

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Yeah but you're assuming I agree with your assessment of the deck and conditions, which I don't (opinions and all that). I think early on it decked quite a bit but not consistently, so rather than a green top or a bunsen, it was sort of a "you're never in" type deck, where the odd one would do enough to spook you.

I think Australia played too negatively at times yesterday too. Not normally an #intent kind of bloke, but in this instance there was decent enough reason to be more positive. I don't think you can let blokes like Broad and the poor man's Alderman just bowl at you. It gets back to confidence, and also strike rotation. By the time he got to 40 odd, Smith was milking singles brilliantly. So many of our top order don't seem to know how to drop it and run. And when blokes are bowling good areas on a deck doing a bit, it's a massive failing to stay on strike for a lot of balls in a row. Compare the approach of Khawaja and Bancroft as examples to Head, who was a lot more positive and backed himself. I suppose to an extent that comes from the knowledge your spot is safe, but he played really well imho. Feasted on the Ali filth, which any good leftie should.
    Head got some runs because Stokes bowled tripe to him.

From my limited vantage point square of the wicket it seemed to get easier to bat around the time Siddle was in. If our top order can make it through the first session and a half, and that’s a big if, there’s a decent score out there.
    zorax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnodouche View Post
    @zorax: Do umpires get regular physicals/vital signs evaluated? I ask because other than Taufel I can't think of another umpire in decent physical condition. I understand that's not the overriding criteria for the job, but surely being overweight adversely affects concentration levels whilst standing six hours a day.
    As far as I am aware they do not, but I think they should be checked too. The Elite panel might go through some checks but the Associate panels don't. In HK itself it's been a subject of discussion over the years, but we don't have the resources or depth in umpiring talent to start testing our local umpires this way. Eyesight, hearing, and general fitness are all very important. The focus has now shifted to recuriting and developing younger umpires (which is kinda how I got involved).

I've heard that good umpires attend net sessions to practice their umpiring. Gives them practice of being on their feet and making decisions while they aren't in the middle. Keeps them sharp.

Also, iirc Aleem Dar still plays over-50s cricket and has a pitch in his backyard where he practices bowling. Might be confusing him with another umpire tho. But if it is him, it would explain why he's one of the best going around ATM.
    Arachnodouche likes this.
    5DN1L

Played Stumped - best online cricket management MMORPG on the web: http://www.stumpedgame.com/home.php

Listen to the CricketWeb Podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

Hall of Fame Member TheJediBrah's Avatar
    I think it is, no swing and just a bit of movement off the seam, not really extravagant movement at all and if the rest of the Aussies were in trouble on a pitch like that then god help them when conditions favour the bowlers. Siddle played sensibly and a lower order player showed there are no demons in the pitch.
    You've mentioned something along these lines a few times flibs, and I really think you've misjudged the conditions. They were not easy batting conditions at all, especially early on. I'm sure there could be worse conditions in England but it definitely qualified as conditions favouring the bowler.

Extravagant movement is usually worse for getting wickets too
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

https://twitter.com/PloughmansCC/sta...104951297?s=20

Sandpaper send off from the crowd to Warner

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    You've mentioned something along these lines a few times flibs, and I really think you've misjudged the conditions. They were not easy batting conditions at all, especially early on. I'm sure there could be worse conditions in England but it definitely qualified as conditions favouring the bowler.
    Shock there was a bit of movement early on day 1 in a pitch in England which vanished as the day went on. Today and Saturday will be good for batting before it starts to deteriorate. Typical English pitch and not the minefield everyone is making it out to be.

Hall of Fame Member TheJediBrah's Avatar
    I only saw the first session but I think the Aussies did ok only losing 3 wickets given how it was nipping around. Big part of that was Jimmy's injury and stokes bowling trash though

International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    Shock there was a bit of movement early on day 1 in a pitch in England which vanished as the day went on. Today and Saturday will be good for batting before it starts to deteriorate. Typical English pitch and not the minefield everyone is making it out to be.
    It's dryer than the typical English pitch. I wouldn't be surprised if the movement disappears but the ball did quite a bit for over 50 overs, not just 'a little bit in the morning'. Stop making stuff up.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    I only saw the first session but I think the Aussies did ok only losing 3 wickets given how it was nipping around. Big part of that was Jimmy's injury and stokes bowling trash though
    Didn't do as much after lunch but Woakes and Broad bowled well and Aussies weren't up to it bar Smith then flattened out and Siddle looked comfortable. He is a genuine number 10 who looked like he could have got 70 easily. It isn't that difficult a pitch it is just the inadequate batting in both sides will make it look like it is.

Aussies struggle most with swing, there wasn't any and they were still 122-8. If it had been swinging god knows what they would have been bowled out for.

Not saying our lot will score 500 as we won't but I genuinely think it is a bog standard 350 first innings pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Yeah but you factor in the state of your bowlers before you do it. The tactic in this instance led to him upping the scoring rate by a factor of four. If they were prepared to keep the field up, he's taking risks and they're winning because he'll grab a single on the fourth ball of an over and Lyon will get nailed sooner rather than later. And Aus is likely all out 240-250 odd, with Smith stranded in the 80s.

It should also be said, without wanting to sound niggardly, that for all the talk of England's bowlers being exhausted, they've ended up bowling basically the same amount of overs as any four-bowler attack in world cricket. it wasn't like they were at the fag end of two month tour of India, had galloping dysentery and were playing in Chennai with the open sewer around the ground. They were in Birmingham (I know, but still) with sweaters on and it was day one of the series, with Broad cherry ripe having not played a WC. I'm sorry, but if they're cooked day one with four front line bowlers at their disposal (Anderson's injury nws) then they're doing something awfully wrong in their prep.
    I think itís more the Stokes being forced to bowl however many overs he did more than anything else, and obviously the fact that our best bowler only bowled 4. But yeh, tactics to Smith before and after tea weíre abysmal.

The best legacy Langer can leave Australian cricket is to get some TPC DNA and have him cloned.
    JBMAC likes this.

Thread Information