• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 1st Test at Brisbane

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looks like 6pm for me CST so midnight GMT.
Sure that is an hour later than it used to be.

Used to take being able to stay up late for granted, going to be brutal this time around even if I do have a good chunk of the first Test off.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
You guy's in England really get the rough end of the stick with the timing!! In Vic time the Ashes in England start at 8pm for me.......very comfortable to watch the first 2 sessions.

I don't reckon I'd get to watch bugger all in Blighty if they start at midnight.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Roll on Wednesday night, no work till Sunday then so a good few days watching the cricket will be required. Curry will be ordered and beer will be consumed for day 1.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Yes. If it starts at midnight that's going to be very difficult to sustain for even half an hour. CA need to take into consideration the average age of the test cricket fan.

Starfighter

Interesting that the vibe coming from Bayliss seems to be Ball > Overton. I'd have wondered whether England might like Overton's extra batting, considering Stoke's absence, but it's not like he's scored when given the chance. I don't expect Woakes to contribute all that much with the bat tbh.

I'd reckon Overton might be more suited to Australian conditions too, but whatever.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't underestimate Woakes batting hes generally rock solid. Doesnt get the big scores batting down at 8 or 9 but he nearly always chips in.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Used to take being able to stay up late for granted, going to be brutal this time around even if I do have a good chunk of the first Test off.
Pretty sure Queensland has some weird thing going on with daylight savings

morgieb

Pretty sure Queensland has some weird thing going on with daylight savings
Yeah Queensland doesn't have daylight savings, even though NSW/Victoria does. So the Test starts half an hour later (or earlier) than it does in Melbourne and Sydney.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's not (there certainly haven't been any 9am Brisbane starts in my cricket-watching lifetime). It is half an hour later than the Melbourne and Sydney Tests though - maybe you're remembering those?

The Adelaide Test is a pink ball Test this year too, so you'll get the lovely playing hours of 3:30am to 10:30am for that one...

Pothas

Yeah probably thinking of Melbourne and Sydney, in my mind they started at 23.00 our time but obviously not.

The Adelaide Test is actually a big improvement, basically like watching a Test in India for us. I mean a few years ago I would have much rather just stayed up but getting up earlier is far more practical these days.

stephen

It's been cold and wet in Brisbane over the last few weeks. 22 and rainy today. Might as well be playing in England if it stays like this.

morgieb

This is starting to feel like 2010/11 all over again. Weird selections, iffy (by Australian standards) weather, etc....

Tangles

International Vice-Captain

CA site said 10am start local time.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes I think Woakes will go well with the bat, and possibly outperform all those from seven down. His style is different to that of a Moeen or Broad (of old) in that he bats more like a proper technically correct batsman and takes less risks than those players. He’s not a bowler that is content to throw his bat at anything loose and contribute some quick runs, he tries to build an innings and play like a batsman and his ability with the bat will hopefully show during this Ashes. Moeen is obviously not just a bowler either but does take more risks as a batsman.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator

I'll be making the most of what will my last Ashes as a student, that's for sure.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes I’m really interested to see how Woakes goes out there with the ball. Confident he can do a job with the bat at seven or eight, just hope his bowling hits the requisite standards. At least he’s got some decent overs and a bit of confidence under his belt following those tour games, admittedly against dubious opposition.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Woakes has only played a handful of away Tests but he's really struggled in all of them, with both bat and ball. He also looked well short of his best when he came back from injury he had last English summer.

Skill-wise I absolutely believe he's got what it takes to perform well in both roles across this series, but whether he's at the top of his game yet and whether he can adjust to conditions quickly enough both remain to be seen really.