Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Walk or not walk

Cricketer Of The Year
    Quite comical to see people claiming they wouldn't walk out of respect for the umpire. It does the umpire no favours at all. He's has to adjudicate on something he shouldn't have to with the added bonus of being made to look stupid if he gets it wrong. If you don't want to walk that's fair enough if that's how you want to play the game, but don't pretend it's for anything other than selfish reasons.

Cricket Spectator
    As long as the umpire isn't Shakoor Rana, I've always been happy to accept that a batsman is out or not out 'if in the opinion of the umpire'. walking or standing is a personal choice but i'd advocate standing and allowing the umpire to decide after all in the spirit of the game it's not whether he's 100% spot on but his opinion that matters, as an addendum DRS (dont review shane ) shows how bloody good umpires are making decisions in a split second

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    By that logic you should stand your ground if you smash it into your pads and get given lbw.
    Not in low level club cricket, no. Though umpires are very cautious at such a level.
    RIP Philip Hughes - 1988-2014

The Wheel of Mediocrity | Compton, Root, Carberry, Robson, Trott, Lyth, Moeen, Hales | The wheel is forever

Founder and Grand Wizard of the CW Football Thread Statluminati. Potential hater of abilities. Blocked on twitter by Michael Vaughan, Brad McNamara and AtlCricket for my hard hitting truths.

Somewhat inadvertently walked in a game with panel umpires a couple weeks ago. Kind of pissed off.
    Shady Slim likes this.

I think walking is now an even stranger issue because of DRS. We are obviously moving forward to try and make more correct decisions to alleviate (or put more) pressure on umpires and it's odd when you can see the correct decision within several seconds but nothing can be done about it. But for every Stuart Broad nick that isn't given, there's 100 faint nicks and gloves that aren't given and there should be no difference in the reaction. Such a hypocritical view after 2013 when it honestly would come close to happening once a test match just not as obviously.

I really don't think batsman should walk (or at least, there shouldn't be any negativity towards batsman who don't walk) but, yeah, I suppose my frustration is with decisions are immediately obvious to millions watching and wouldn't necessarily take that much time out of the game to overturn. Slipper slope and all that, though. If you overturn obvious ones, you have to check everything and it would become a farce.

Cricket Web Staff Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    With the DRS as it is there's no place for walking. When you have no reviews left it's a result of poor tactical play - if you review often in an attempt to get every possible wicket, you're running the risk of losing them. You had the option to be 'defensive' and save your reviews for a sure thing, but you didn't. So when a batsman stands his ground it's not outside of the game any more - it's the opposition punishing poor tactics.
    What if all the switches get stuck on 'destroy'?

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    With the DRS as it is there's no place for walking. When you have no reviews left it's a result of poor tactical play - if you review often in an attempt to get every possible wicket, you're running the risk of losing them. You had the option to be 'defensive' and save your reviews for a sure thing, but you didn't. So when a batsman stands his ground it's not outside of the game any more - it's the opposition punishing poor tactics.
    Not all reviews are created equally.

This.

DRS was designed to overturn howlers from the umpire. If you wasted your reviews 'having a look' at something daft, it's your own fault that you don't have the ability to check something more concrete later.

Saying that, Australia and England should each get three reviews, so that they can entertain Shane Watson and Stuart Broad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Quite comical to see people claiming they wouldn't walk out of respect for the umpire. It does the umpire no favours at all. He's has to adjudicate on something he shouldn't have to with the added bonus of being made to look stupid if he gets it wrong. If you don't want to walk that's fair enough if that's how you want to play the game, but don't pretend it's for anything other than selfish reasons.
    So I've been mistaken when believing it was the umpire's responsibility to make decisions?
    indiaholic likes this.
    ​63*

Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

International Regular
    This thread reminds me of the time I walked when given not out to an lbw decision. I'd be surprised if anyone can match that level of idiocy on a cricket field
    indiaholic likes this.

Cricketer Of The Year
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    So I've been mistaken when believing it was the umpire's responsibility to make decisions?
    That isn't relevant to the point I was making. If a batsman is caught in the deep or bowled he doesn't hang around waiting for the umpire to give him out, because he knows he can't get away with it. All I'm saying is if you don't walk don't pretend that you're doing it out of a moral duty to the umpire when all it's doing is making his job more difficult. Batsman don't walk if they can get away with it for no other reason than personal and team gain. To say it's out of respect for the umpire is nonsense.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    In some sports "simulation" is a heinous crime

Cricketer Of The Year
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    In some sports "simulation" is a heinous crime
    I believe that's the main reason the World Chess Championships had poor viewing figures.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    I believe that's the main reason the World Chess Championships had poor viewing figures.
    I thought that was because the DRS wasn't popular?

That isn't relevant to the point I was making. If a batsman is caught in the deep or bowled he doesn't hang around waiting for the umpire to give him out, because he knows he can't get away with it. All I'm saying is if you don't walk don't pretend that you're doing it out of a moral duty to the umpire when all it's doing is making his job more difficult. Batsman don't walk if they can get away with it for no other reason than personal and team gain. To say it's out of respect for the umpire is nonsense.
    So why don't you get to stand your ground when you know you've hit it into your pads and he gives you lbw?
    indiaholic likes this.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information