• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Walk or not walk

pom down under

Cricket Spectator
Stuart Broad was ostricised in Brisbane last year for not walking after he edged a ball in England the year before. Peter Neville has just been clipped on the gloves, but alas England does not have any appeals remaining! I will wager that nothing is mentioned about Neville not walking after being clipped on the glove. I wonder which is more noticeable to the player, clipping a ball with the glove or the bat?

King Pietersen

International Captain
Stuart Broad was ostricised in Brisbane last year for not walking after he edged a ball in England the year before. Peter Neville has just been clipped on the gloves, but alas England does not have any appeals remaining! I will wager that nothing is mentioned about Neville not walking after being clipped on the glove. I wonder which is more noticeable to the player, clipping a ball with the glove or the bat?
That one.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The whole "Broad cheating" thing was a load of old bollocks, quite frankly. I'd walk personally, but how the Australian cricket team managed to convince the Australian public that Broad was some kind of pariah and that the Australian cricket team stood on some higher plane with respect to walking is one of the great psychological sporting heists of the modern era.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah that was when Lehmann had just taken over and was desperate to pick a fight. The outrage wasn't even remotely genuine.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah that was when Lehmann had just taken over and was desperate to pick a fight. The outrage wasn't even remotely genuine.
It was all on the wave of 'jobs for the boys' from the school of Steve Waugh after the booting of foreigner Mickey Arthur for being just too damn foreign as well. Dire from start to finish.

~

The non-reaction Nevill will get for not walking exactly what he should get and what Broad should've got. Two wrongs etc

grecian

You should never walk, players are not responsible for umpiring the game.
Indeed.

What was annoying about the Broad, was not so much the whinging Aussies we know their hypocritical, anything to undermine the oppo ways, it was when who the Twatty Brit slebs weighed in saying it wasn't fair.

Everyone, from Lineker, The Governor, Dawkins to obviously the moron piping up on twitter.

fredfertang

The whole "Broad cheating" thing was a load of old bollocks, quite frankly. I'd walk personally, but how the Australian cricket team managed to convince the Australian public that Broad was some kind of pariah and that the Australian cricket team stood on some higher plane with respect to walking is one of the great psychological sporting heists of the modern era.
Broad is, to be fair, very easy to dislike

91Jmay

International Coach
It's because the Australian public have the collective brainpower of an amoeba.

fredfertang

If you play low level club cricket, which sadly is all I could ever aspire to, you generally have your own teammates umpiring, and in those circumstances not walking is tantamount to cheating - I can see that it is different when you have professional umpires, and technology that might correct mistakes, but for me it still goes against the grain - if a batsman has feathered the ball and he knows that is the issue then he should walk - and I don't believe this bollocks about batsmen not being sure themselves- I have certainly never been in any doubt when I have got a nick, however faint

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If you play low level club cricket, which sadly is all I could ever aspire to, you generally have your own teammates umpiring, and in those circumstances not walking is tantamount to cheating - I can see that it is different when you have professional umpires, and technology that might correct mistakes, but for me it still goes against the grain - if a batsman has feathered the ball and he knows that is the issue then he should walk - and I don't believe this bollocks about batsmen not being sure themselves- I have certainly never been in any doubt when I have got a nick, however faint
By that logic you should stand your ground if you smash it into your pads and get given lbw.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Who was it who said "You only walk when the bus has broken down"?

Can't recall the originator, but pretty sure he ended most of his sentences with "mate", making the outcry over Stuart jr from some of our criminal brethren all the more vomit worthy.