View Poll Results: Where to bowl to Smitteh?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Straight

5 29.41%
  • Wide

11 64.71%
  • Straight early, wide once set (the cop-out option)

1 5.88%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Where to bowl to Steve Smith?

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Bowl left armers at him angling across him and get him caught in the slips. When nz plays it will be boult's job to get him out. Smith will probably win that battle as boult is still young and doesn't bowl with enough wisdom yet. However a good left armer can stop him shuffling across his stumps and expose his off side weaknesses.

I have no faith we will get him out and I doubt we will develop any plans for him however. Our efforts will consist of bowling like pews said which inevitably result in him tonning up 50% of the time.

If teams weren't cognitively challenged then they would set some leg side traps to him and work over his technique in a thorough test.

But most teams are stupid so I don't see anyone trying anything inventive other than just hoping he gets himself out.
    I think exactly the opposite is true. Teams who get too cute trying to formulate funky tactics like leg slips or short mid wickets are going to get pummelled imo. Just bowl to him normally, good outsingers outside off will trouble him, as they trouble every single batsman.
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Wow baby, that gave me an orgasmic pleasure!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaagarkarajaaja View Post
    All Prasie to Ajit Bhalchandra Agarkar, the pride of Mumbai, the terminator at Adelaide.
    Quote Originally Posted by VoL View Post
    I've joined this forum, just so that i can agree with OverratedSanity...

Cricketer Of The Year
    On anything but a flat wicket anywhere will do.

Master of the house, keeper of the zoo...
    I've bit my lip all through this series LT.......... but it's Friday night, I've had a couple of beers and this really needs to be said.

You are the pits as a cricket fan.

Before this series you gave England no hope and ****canned our side relentlesly. Yet after each win you wade in with the most smarmy, cocky, put downs on the Aussies of any one here.........it seriously is stomach churning.

Steve Smith is a class batsmen and if you seriously think he's a FTB you're an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Smith
    We've had a lot of collapses in the last couple of years, I think in our last 15 games we've had 14 collapses or something like that.

Cricketer Of The Year
    Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    I've bit my lip all through this series LT.......... but it's Friday night, I've had a couple of beers and this really needs to be said.

You are the pits as a cricket fan.

Before this series you gave England no hope and ****canned our side relentlesly. Yet after each win you wade in with the most smarmy, cocky, put downs on the Aussies of any one here.........it seriously is stomach churning.

Steve Smith is a class batsmen and if you seriously think he's a FTB you're an idiot.
    Couldn't agree more.

Cricket Web Staff Member Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Is Graeme Swann vindicated?
    Cricket's moral worldview:

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."

International Vice-Captain Niall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    Is Graeme Swann vindicated?
    Its a good question.

One match winning knock and total failure in the other three tests isn't the sort of returns that is really acceptable of a player of his stature.

However he did gun it in England last time around and has scored runs in every test nation bar New Zealand (not his fault tbf), so don't really think the "flat track bully" stuff is a really fair criticism at the moment.

I dunno about him as a number three though, I'd have probably persisted with him in the middle order where was so good.

It will be fun to see how he responds, this is the first time in a long time he has been exposed since his early days.

Cricketer Of The Year
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall View Post

However he did gun it in England last time around and has scored runs in every test nation bar New Zealand (not his fault tbf), so don't really think the "flat track bully" stuff is a really fair criticism at the moment.
    Despite the ramblings of a self confessed drunk I never said anything about Smith being a flat track bully. My post was a harmless throw away quip based on his up to then three dismissals on less favourable surfaces since Lords. Though it has to be said he'd get no prizes for his subsequent fourth either.
    Niall and OverratedSanity like this.

Cricket Web Staff Member Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Problem with guys like Smith, Hussey who go on an unbelievable run scoring spree, is that it is obviously not sustainable over a considerable period of time. So when you go from averaging in the 80s to averaging in the 50s, that's like a 30 run drop so it appears that they are just flat track or home track bullies.

I think Steve Smith is a very good player, and I don't believe that he is a flat track bully or a home track bully by any means. He had an average Ashes so far, which appears worse than it is because of the last 12 months he has had.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Despite the ramblings of a self confessed drunk
    A couple of beers on a Friday night makes me a drunk does it? Well I'd say that's pretty much most of cricketweb ****ed them................off to rehab for all of us!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    I never said anything about Smith being a flat track bully. My post was a harmless throw away quip based on his up to then three dismissals on less favourable surfaces since Lords. Though it has to be said he'd get no prizes for his subsequent fourth either.
    Your post in this thread may have been a harmless throw away quip, but on top of everything else you've posted before and during this series it all adds up to being extremely cringeworthy material. Like I said I felt like calling you out when you pissed everyone off after Cardiff but I refrained.............last night I thought sod it and did.
    Last edited by Adders; 08-08-2015 at 01:12 AM.
    marc71178 likes this.

U19 Debutant
    smith is a talentless FTB

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by halba View Post
    smith is a talentless FTB
    I think you should stick to this thread

Crap Innings thread

State Captain
    I find it interesting the obsession with promoting successful batsmen up the order, especially in England. Time after time it is demonstrated that the riskiest place to bat on normal English pitches in English conditions (ie. excluding exceptional dry summers with barely a cloud to be seen) is at the top of the order. No matter how good you are it is rare that a batsman can consistently dominate from there. Test matches in England are invariably won by the batting in the middle and lower middle order. Even when Australia were dominant it was the likes of Steve Waugh that often made the difference. So that is where, in England, I reckon you want your best batsmen to bat (especially when you don't have a surfeit of resources).
    zorax, indiaholic, 91Jmay and 1 others like this.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    I find it interesting the obsession with promoting successful batsmen up the order, especially in England. Time after time it is demonstrated that the riskiest place to bat on normal English pitches in English conditions (ie. excluding exceptional dry summers with barely a cloud to be seen) is at the top of the order. No matter how good you are it is rare that a batsman can consistently dominate from there. Test matches in England are invariably won by the batting in the middle and lower middle order. Even when Australia were dominant it was the likes of Steve Waugh that often made the difference. So that is where, in England, I reckon you want your best batsmen to bat (especially when you don't have a surfeit of resources).
    Nice post.
    1) Ross is Boss.
    2) See point 1.

Leading the charge against nuances being used in posts.

Overrated XI M Bracewell, Burns, Rahane, Don Voges, Bairstow, Alecz Day, Donovan Grobelaar, Luke Ronchi, Faulkner, Dan Christian, Permaul

Cricketer Of The Year
    A couple of beers on a Friday night makes me a drunk does it? Well I'd say that's pretty much most of cricketweb ****ed them................off to rehab for all of us!!

Your post in this thread may have been a harmless throw away quip, but on top of everything else you've posted before and during this series it all adds up to being extremely cringeworthy material. Like I said I felt like calling you out when you pissed everyone off after Cardiff but I refrained.............last night I thought sod it this bloke needs to know he's an ass.

Your post in this thread may have been a harmless throw away quip, but on top of everything else you've posted before and during this series it all adds up to being extremely cringeworthy material. Like I said I felt like calling you out when you pissed everyone off after Cardiff but I refrained.............last night I thought sod it and did.
    Nice edit of the last line. I think you should have stuck with the original though. Such is the wisdom of it I have it earmarked for my headstone.

I decided not to stoop to your level tbh.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information