• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jimmy Anderson Sayz (Spirit Of Cricket thread)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think it's a valid and natural reaction though. How can one say that your new mindset/attitude is there to stay? I for one don't believe Anderson has really changed but if he goes through the first few tests without sledging like he used to then full credit to him for working on his faults and improving himself.

Edit: I do agree with you though that once you have actually proven that you've changed, being judged on your past self is annoying.
I wasn't really talking about Anderson. Just a pet hate of mine.

For example I strongly encourage my daughter, who is in secondary school, to do her homework not at the last minute but as soon as possible. I was permanently disorganised at school and sometimes wound up with evenings where I had to do many pieces of work. Am I a hypocrite for wanting her to be different? I don't think so.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I wasn't really talking about Anderson. Just a pet hate of mine.

For example I strongly encourage my daughter, who is in secondary school, to do her homework not at the last minute but as soon as possible. I was permanently disorganised at school and sometimes wound up with evenings where I had to do many pieces of work. Am I a hypocrite for wanting her to be different? I don't think so.
Called "being a parent." She'll be doing the same with your grandkids.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think he's a hypocrite so much as a typical thin skinned bully who can give it out but can't take it. What a joke coming from this ponce. Fmd does he want Johnson to bowl with a tennis ball as well?

Debris

International 12th Man
It always winds me up a bit when people say sledging is against the spirit of cricket. Sledging is an integral part of the traditions of cricket and the game would be lessened without it. There has always been sledging. WG Grace was sledging people before tests were even played.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
It always winds me up a bit when people say sledging is against the spirit of cricket. Sledging is an integral part of the traditions of cricket and the game would be lessened without it. There has always been sledging. WG Grace was sledging people before tests were even played.
There is a difference between banter and sledging. The term 'sledging' got coined in Australia around Ian Chappell's time. It means hurling abuse at someone so hard that he feels like getting hit by a sledge-hammer.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is why I felt Anderson was wrong when he said the series should be with less amounts of sledging because it's the 'right' spirit in which to play cricket. There is no 'right' spirit to play the game in. There is a line (albeit blurred) you don't cross, and anything within that is not in anyway superior or inferior to any other point within that boundary.

Riggins

International Captain
There is a difference between banter and sledging. The term 'sledging' got coined in Australia around Ian Chappell's time. It means hurling abuse at someone so hard that he feels like getting hit by a sledge-hammer.
lol

Spark

Global Moderator
Ah I see the sanctimonious, vacuous articles on "sledging" have started to appear. Naturally the first of whom is written by someone who has never written any other articles on cricket, whom I suspect views Australians as little more than untermenschen as is the norm, and believes that people saying mean things to each other is to blame for all the ills in the game.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't think he's a hypocrite so much as a typical thin skinned bully who can give it out but can't take it. What a joke coming from this ponce. Fmd does he want Johnson to bowl with a tennis ball as well?
If he used a tennis ball he'd still probably go better than his last visit to these shores.