• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jimmy Anderson Sayz (Spirit Of Cricket thread)

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jimmy Anderson calls for England and Australia to ditch Ashes sledging | Sport | The Guardian

“I hope it’s played in the same nature as the New Zealand series, that was a really positive series and the nature of both sides’ cricket was helped by the spirit the game was played in,” the Lancashire bowler told Sky Sports News.

“[But] there’s a different relationship between the two teams, the Ashes is a huge series for both sets of players.

“If there is needle, it’s something I thought I thrived on or needed in the past but having played in the last few months, I think it’s important we get the balance right of playing in the right spirit, but also having that competitive edge to win a game of cricket for your country.”
L O L

Daemon

Nothing much wrong with that I thought, besides him claiming one or the other is the 'right' spirit to play cricket in.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Have McCullum and Morgan played T20 together btw? Sky comms (possibly Bumble) last night made reference to them being really good mates.

Jimmeh's got a point but entertainment and spirit of cricket be damned. Bring the urn home lads.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Nothing much wrong with that I thought, besides him claiming one or the other is the 'right' spirit to play cricket in.
I think it's kind of hypocritical, which is why Spikey is laughing.

Have McCullum and Morgan played T20 together btw? Sky comms (possibly Bumble) last night made reference to them being really good mates.
Yeah, KKR (2011-2014 I think).

Daemon

I think it's kind of hypocritical, which is why Spikey is laughing.

Yeah, KKR (2011-2014 I think).
It's not really hypocritical, he's just changed his mind. He said he felt it was necessary in the past. I mean if he goes out now and sledges all out then yes he is one but just purely going by what he said he really isn't.

Spikey

It's not really hypocritical, he's just changed his mind. He said he felt it was necessary in the past. I mean if he goes out now and sledges all out then yes he is one but just purely going by what he said he really isn't.
It's easy to say what Anderson has said when you've not been playing though. The similarly annoying David Warner has also talked about changing his ways or whatever, but at least with the recent Warner article, he'd actually gone through a test while being quiet. A single test, mind. Anderson has just been sitting at home. This is important because we hear all the time about how Jimmy is actually a great guy off-field, but has a case of white line fever. I'm not taking Anderson's words sincerely just yet. He hasn't been near a field for awhile

Daemon

It's easy to say what Anderson has said when you've not been playing though. The similarly annoying David Warner has also talked about changing his ways or whatever, but at least with the recent Warner article, he'd actually gone through a test while being quiet. A single test, mind. Anderson has just been sitting at home. This is important because we hear all the time about how Jimmy is actually a great guy off-field, but has a case of white line fever. I'm not taking Anderson's words sincerely just yet. He hasn't been near a field for awhile
Didn't he just play against NZ which is what triggered the supposed change in mindset?

Spikey

Some of it. Didn't play the ODers/T20, which is when the "Gee havent the Kiwis been gentlemen" talk seemed to appear more and more. If he behaves during the Ashes then ok, he's a man of his word. But I don't really buy it yet. He may well mean it, but blah blah blah white line fever blah blah blah

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Some of it. Didn't play the ODers/T20, which is when the "Gee havent the Kiwis been gentlemen" talk seemed to appear more and more. If he behaves during the Ashes then ok, he's a man of his word. But I don't really buy it yet. He may well mean it, but blah blah blah white line fever blah blah blah
Nah Tests were defo deemed to have been played in a face v face style

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Got to say though, there's nothing more annoying in life for being labelled a hypocrite for criticising a bad habit or behaviour you used to echo but have worked to change

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I think the most hypocritical thing is probably me not really reading any of the quotes and then commenting, given it's a pet hate of mine.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
Got to say though, there's nothing more annoying in life for being labelled a hypocrite for criticising a bad habit or behaviour you used to echo but have worked to change
I think it's a valid and natural reaction though. How can one say that your new mindset/attitude is there to stay? I for one don't believe Anderson has really changed but if he goes through the first few tests without sledging like he used to then full credit to him for working on his faults and improving himself.

Edit: I do agree with you though that once you have actually proven that you've changed, being judged on your past self is annoying.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He's not even criticising anyone though. He's just saying he hopes the series is played in good spirits and doesn't descend into sledging after good experiences vs NZ changing his mind about what he needs to get into a contest.

Honestly, he could sledge his heart out all series without even that being hypocritical as long as he didn't instigate it.

Daemon

Well technically he wouldn't be a hypocrite but it would definitely reaffirm people's belief that he's a ****