Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Well done Australia

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    Just don't expect Amla, Kallis and de Villiers to surrender as meekly as we have for you.
    Not sure how much Kallis has left in the tank. Wouldn't be surprised to see him fail if the Australians bowl as well as they have done in the last few games.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    Absolutely agree, just wonder which ones will be fit enough to take part, all of them hopefully.
    Yep.

I don't expect Australia to beat SA in SA, simply because the batting is still too fragile. But assuming the bowlers are fit and firing, they're a chance at a suprise win because if you're taking 20 wickets your're always a shot.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

You blokes wanna pull each others dicks any harder?
    Daemon likes this.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    The astonishing thing for me as a neutral was how quickly it happened.

Boom
    Aus won the first test: "Well that's an interesting development! Hey, I always thought Johnson would do better as part of a more consistently threatening attack!"

Boom
    Aus bowlers destroyed England's first innings on a flat Adelaide pitch.

"WTF. Ummm, are England going to figure this out in time, or at all?"

Boom
    England's batsmen destroyed again.

"Nope, they're not. This series is over. Wow."

The third test seemed to go by more as a formality than anything.

Just such a brutal, shocking kill.
    ^ Pretty accurate summary.

So the 5th placed team beat the 3rd placed team. Fantastic achievement by Australia for being genuine underdogs going into the series and then delivering a killer blow. However I wouldn't rank this win any ahead of Pakistan's 3-0 whitewash of Eng in UAE.

The clinical, almost effortless win by Aus shows how volatile the top tier is barring SA. The gap between the top 5 teams haven't been narrower ever. I am not sure that is a testament to "quality" of cricket being played but I prefer a bit of competition and mongrel.

As to England, I think its fair to assume that their purple patch is over. They had a chunk of players who concurrently were in their peaks (Anderson, Swann, KP, Bell, Prior) in terms of age and experience in the last two years, but now they all in all likelihood are past it. If the English mgmt is not careful, having all these chunk of players who are suddenly and collectively on the decline can have a multiplier effect on the team performance which can result in solid whippings like what is happening now.It happened to India when their core which brought them so much glory all descended into terminal decline together (Tendulkar, Sehwag, Laxman, & to some extent Dravid and Gambhir). Some of the current players need a kick up their backside, nothing more effective than having young pretenders gnawing at their neck for their position. Prior desperately needs competition, so does KP and Bell. Management needs to project Panesar as not just backup but a serious competitor for Swann's place and let him know that.

The positives from the series for Eng have been Carberry and Broad. Carberry needs a fair run in the team whereas Broad has been outstanding.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Yeah but we never know whether Pakistan is really having a go or not. They seem to give up as soon as they're behind, whether for attitudinal reasons or because it's in their pecuniary interest to do so. And let's be honest, they never win anywhere meaningful away, even when they had a half way decent outfit.

I do like Misbah though.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    You blokes wanna pull each others dicks any harder?
    Called respect. Try it some time.

Try and take a joke buddy.

And considering some of the out-and-out bitch fights you've had with Australian fans on this forum, also extreeeeeeeeeeeemely rich of you to say that.
    Last edited by Jono; 18-12-2013 at 02:19 AM.

Haha now who can't take the joke?

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    He wouldn't wanna pull your dick though, would he? ****

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Haha now who can't take the joke?

If I was you Jono i'd be more concerned about your shower being torn a new one in SA than the ashes series and how the fans have got on.

right. from now on it's only a joke if its funny.

im afraid that rules out the both of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    If I was you Jono i'd be more concerned about your shower being torn a new one in SA than the ashes series and how the fans have got on.
    Haha what? I just acknowledged that you were right and I took your post too seriously and you write that?

Very odd behaviour. Like you're trying to pick a fight I have no interest in.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Captain_Cook's Avatar
    Well done you Aussies. Its been a dramatic and emphatic victory. While I'm still reeling from Cook's first golden duck I can't help but be impressed by the brand of cricket played by Australia (sometimes I wish England could play like that...).

I really hope that England can regain some composure now the pressure of winning the series is off and they can perform at their more successful grounds (relatively) in recent times. A 3-2 recovery would go a long way to recovering a slither of dignity.
    He bowls to the left, he bowls to the right, but when he bowls at the stumps, he makes England look ****e!

My Modern Test XI (since 2000): AN Cook, GC Smith (c), HM Amla, KC Sangakkara (w), MJ Clarke, IR Bell, S Watson, GP Swann, VD Philander, DW Steyn, JM Anderson.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information