• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Barmy army

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Good stuff. I want to get to. League match next time I'm over in Blighty.

Sadly, being a Parramatta supporter, that's how far I have to travel
To take an interest in a competitive match :ph34r:
Learn to work your new phone or tablet or what ever the hell you're using to post from.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Same old phone. Posting from the bus an really not giving two hoots leads to spelling errors I suppose.

Burgey

Get this ****. Sits there posting in Scottish and whinges about other people.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
When England play in Australia yes there are plenty of ex pats like me that make up the Nos but the vast majority have still come over for the cricket. The Barmy Army are not overly prevalent in English grounds because it is too ****ing expensive and many of the hardcore supporters have simply boycotted home tests now. It was cheaper for them to do the NZ tour than do the whole Ashes series in the UK. That being said the Oz tour which was once so cheap is now incredibly expensive as well.
)
It's pretty bloody expensive to fly to NZ.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
The small grounds don't help in England. Of course you only need bigger ones when the Ashes are on.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
The small grounds don't help in England. Of course you only need bigger ones when the Ashes are on.
As opposed to Australia where you need smaller grounds all the time except when you're playing sports other than cricket.

benchmark00

oooh look how beautiful and boutique our cricket ground is, it only holds 7 dozen people ooooh fap fap fap.

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
I am not totally in the dark about the BA, I know the chant 'Barmy Army' well from visiting loads of English soccer grounds and I think I first heard it as early as the 1970s. But it seems to me that most of the BA are Brits living in Australia or may be not? On English cricket grounds there is no Barmy Army, yes certain groups of people shout some of their songs but compared to it's presence at Tests in Australia it is of no significance. Why is that I wonder?
How much of a follwing does English County cricket have? I can tell you now in Oz that stadiums have never filled in all forms (bar T20) in my lifetime.
I am not a PS of the BA but it must just be something to cheer their country on especially when playing against their oldest enemies?

Cooky Monster

U19 12th Man
You'll have to tell me. I just know that they chant that all the time. Along with other ones they make up on the spot about England or Australia.
It wasn't made up by the BA, i went on a tour of Holland with my u13s football team in 91 or maybe 92, definately no later and that was getting sung over there.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
It wasn't made up by the BA, i went on a tour of Holland with my u13s football team in 91 or maybe 92, definately no later and that was getting sung over there.
I was singing it in the cubs 10 years before that.

No one has ever claimed the BA wrote that one. Just like Aussie Aussies Aussie..........again in the early 80's we used to sing Oggy Oggy Oggy.......Oi, Oi, Oi. NFI what it was supposed to mean.

Daemon

Yeah they're just the simple cheers that have spread around since forever. NFI where they've originated from.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
At least we play cricket in cricket grounds and not AFL Stadia.
That's stretching the truth a bit to be honest.

Actually, I've been to The Grange and it's a lovely little ground. Pity it's rarely used by anyone who can actually play cricket.

benchmark00

How good is the assertion that cricket grounds are only cricket grounds if they can't hold more than two mid-sized families :laugh: