Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Chris Rogers

Cricket Spectator joshfinlay600's Avatar

Chris Rogers

Is Chris Rogers to old for Test Cricket, should he be dropped?
    I think he isn't to old and is the leader of the openers. He is a key character in the Aussie team!!

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Not now ffs.
    Jono likes this.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    LOL he was pretty much the best batsman for Australia in the last Ashes and I am sure he will be solid in this series too.

Should play for at least another 2 years.

Marcus North to take the mantle of old solid opener now
    There are two colours in my head

Sugarealm

Breakout Champion!
    I like the title "leader of the openers". Makes me imagine all opening batsmen as like a nomadic tribe.
    Prince EWS and stephen like this.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by steds View Post
    I like the title "leader of the openers". Makes me imagine all opening batsmen as like a nomadic tribe.
    Well tbh in England our team featured Rogers, Warner, Cowan, Watson and Hughes at different points, so we did have a nomadic tribe of openers.

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Well tbh in England our team featured Rogers, Warner, Cowan, Watson and Hughes at different points, so we did have a nomadic tribe of openers.

Too good

This is like the ultimate thread for Benchy to hate on. His best mate joshfinlay starting a whole thread on Rogers

Rogers was very unlucky to have been dropped after the single test he played at Perth, but made a good comeback after such a long time and at least has a test century to his name which he can cherish for the rest of his life. I guess he might go on for a year or 2. It was rubbish that guys who were less experienced(in FC cricket), less skilled than him were given chances and he was being ignored.
    Is this your homework Larry?

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by karan316 View Post
    Rogers was very unlucky to have been dropped after the single test he played at Perth, but made a good comeback after such a long time and at least has a test century to his name which he can cherish for the rest of his life. I guess he might go on for a year or 2. It was rubbish that guys who were less experienced(in FC cricket), less skilled than him were given chances and he was being ignored.
    But he wasn't overlooked for those less skilled than him FFS. He got overlooked for Jaques originally, which at the time was an entirely good call. Then when his back gave out, Katich was making runs. Hayden retires, and the incredibly promising Hughes (averaging 50ish and being 10 years younger than Rogers) was brought in. Hughes got dropped for Watson because the latter was in the squad, and he acquitted himself well and rightfully stayed in that position for a while. Only a desperation call-up in England 2009 was a road in for Rogers, and I have NFI what his form was like at the time.

Hughes, Maddinson, Khawaja and North are all playing as an opener domestically this year after predominately batting lower down the order last year. Is it a push from the national selectors or are the states just picking who they think can handle the spot the best?
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Over 0.2: Putland to Nevill, OUT, no run, full ball swings in late to crash into his pads. Nevill is almost falling over trying to get bat on it but can't. Huge shout for LBW and Umpire Martell eventually raises the finger! P.Nevill - lbw b:Putland 0 (1 ball, 1 minute).

GuyFromLancs likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    s
    ^real tearjerker from this cock

International Regular
    Think your mob are in enough trouble with the blade without dropping one of your top order mid test match.

But he wasn't overlooked for those less skilled than him FFS. He got overlooked for Jaques originally, which at the time was an entirely good call. Then when his back gave out, Katich was making runs. Hayden retires, and the incredibly promising Hughes (averaging 50ish and being 10 years younger than Rogers) was brought in. Hughes got dropped for Watson because the latter was in the squad, and he acquitted himself well and rightfully stayed in that position for a while. Only a desperation call-up in England 2009 was a road in for Rogers, and I have NFI what his form was like at the time.
    Agreed. It's some serious revisionism to say Rogers has ever been 'overlooked'.

Throughout his career, he's just never been good enough.
    World XI Since 1990 -

1. Gooch 2. Dravid 3. Ponting 4. Tendulkar 5. Lara 6. Kallis 7. Gilchrist 8. Akram 9. Warne 10. Ambrose 11. McGrath

I thought it was a pretty bad call to pick Hughes ahead of Rogers when Hayden retired at the time. It Would've been interesting to see how Hughes's career developed if he didn't debut then, and it could've drastically changed Watson's career too because it was Hughes's subsequent failure that meant Watson was slotted in as emergency opener. Picking Hughes then really was such a massive call when you consider everything that's happened since; only took them four years to backtrack on it...
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information