• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Siddle & Gough - honour without success in Ashes contests

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
His batsmen don't give him enough to aim at.

It's why Gough went full-on into the lovable, affable rogue persona. A kind of gallows humour is all that's left.

But I bet it's kind of tension-relieving in a way.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
His batsmen don't give him enough to aim at.

It's why Gough went full-on into the lovable, affable rogue persona. A kind of gallows humour is all that's left.

But I bet it's kind of tension-relieving in a way.
Kind of how I feel when I read one of your posts tbh.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
"Considering how revered he was by England and Australian fans alike, it may surprise some that his overall Ashes bowling record isn't that impressive - 74 wickets in 17 matches at an average of 30.81. "

Sorry but I call bull**** on that for two reasons. Firstly it does look impressive given Aus were the best team in the world. Secondly, Gough has more Ashes wickets for England than any other England player who has debuted since 1980 at a better average than Swann, Anderson, Flintoff, Hoggard, Caddick, Harmison etc.

It is an uninformed statement as Gough's stats clearly are impressive when put in the context of how others have performed.

Aritro

International Regular
I think it's pretty reasonable to suggest that Gough was at least very highly regarded in Australia.

I used to regard him highly until I heard his radio show.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
"Considering how revered he was by England and Australian fans alike, it may surprise some that his overall Ashes bowling record isn't that impressive - 74 wickets in 17 matches at an average of 30.81. "

Sorry but I call bull**** on that for two reasons. Firstly it does look impressive given Aus were the best team in the world. Secondly, Gough has more Ashes wickets for England than any other England player who has debuted since 1980 at a better average than Swann, Anderson, Flintoff, Hoggard, Caddick, Harmison etc.

It is an uninformed statement as Gough's stats clearly are impressive when put in the context of how others have performed.
As the author of the article, I take your point but looking at those who played in the same era as Gough, Angus Fraser took 46 wickets at a slightly better average and Dean Headley had an excellent record of 34 wickets at under 25 (albeit from only 6 Tests). Of his contemporaries, he had better records than Caddick, Malcolm and DeFreitas. Overall, his record against Australia is good, but not top-class.