• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Series XI

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Surely Rogers place isn't up for discussion?
Probably not, no. But is actually averaging less than Root for the series. Case of lies, damn lies, etc as that may be.

There's the whole "Swann's bunny" thang & leaving out Cook would mean no KP either.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anderson put in the best bowling performance of the series, IMO. Same reason why I didn't have to think much about putting Clarke in there.
And was distinctly average for 2 tests as well

I'd pick Harris, Siddle and Broad because they have been far more consistent over the course of the series (I actually thought Broad was better even in the first innings of this test but Anderson got the figures)

social

Think Clarke/KP at #4, perming 2/3 of Broad, Anderson and Siddle for the two seamers who aren't Harris & ditto Cook, Rogers and Root for the two opening spots are the only serious discussion points.
Cant pick Cook as his batting and captaincy has been decidedly ordinary

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
This isn't a "pick some guys who you think have had good series" exercise, it's a "pick the best XI" exercise. None of the openers are really crying out to be picked, but you still have to select two.

social

This isn't a "pick some guys who you think have had good series" exercise, it's a "pick the best XI" exercise. None of the openers are really crying out to be picked, but you still have to select two.
No, it's pick the SERIES X1 and that's why. for example, Haddin is a unanimous choice in front of Prior

Likewise, Cook has been rubbish this series so doesn't warrant a spot

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I meant pick the best XI of the series. You still have to pick two opening batsman. You can't say Cook's been rubbish, then say Root's been rubbish and you can't pick Warner for one fifty.

social

I meant pick the best XI of the series. You still have to pick two opening batsman. You can't say Cook's been rubbish, then say Root's been rubbish and you can't pick Warner for one fifty.
My openers are Rogers and Root because there isn't anyone else worth a spot

Likewise, I'd pick Watson at 3 because there isn't an alternative

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Ashes XI

1. Chris Rogers
2. Heather Knight
3. Shane Watson
4. Michael Clarke
5. Ian Bell
6. Steve Smith
7. Brad Haddin
8. Peter Siddle
9. Graeme Swann
10. Ryan Harris
11. James Anderson

Furball

Evil Scotsman
And was distinctly average for 2 tests as well

I'd pick Harris, Siddle and Broad because they have been far more consistent over the course of the series (I actually thought Broad was better even in the first innings of this test but Anderson got the figures)
Broad hasn't been more consistent this series.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Cook
Rogers
Bell
KP
Clarke
Haddin
Broad
Swann
Harris
Siddle
Anderson

Frankly I can't justify not having Siddle in the side when the batting from both sides, Bell excepted has been rubbish.

Cook looks like an odd choice at the top but his three 50s have all been vital in winning 3 games for England. Root's got the better numbers but his innings haven't been as important.

Watson gets nowhere near the side because he was rubbish for 4 Tests, getting a ton when the series is dead doesn't get you into a team of the series.

Smith can count himself unlucky, I just think KP's innings have been slightly more important in deciding the series than his. Smith would bat 6 if I went 6-1-4.

Starc would be an outside shot if he wasn't hopeless with the first new ball.

Last edited:

social

Cook
Rogers
Bell
KP
Clarke
Haddin
Broad
Swann
Harris
Siddle
Anderson

Frankly I can't justify not having Siddle in the side when the batting from both sides, Bell excepted has been rubbish.

Cook looks like an odd choice at the top but his three 50s have all been vital in winning 3 games for England. Root's got the better numbers but his innings haven't been as important.

Watson gets nowhere near the side because he was rubbish for 4 Tests, getting a ton when the series is dead doesn't get you into a team of the series.

Smith can count himself unlucky, I just think KP's innings have been slightly more important in deciding the series than his. Smith would bat 6 if I went 6-1-4.

Starc would be an outside shot if he wasn't hopeless with the first new ball.
One of the longest tails ever

SA would beat that team 5 nil and take about 15 days to do it

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Irrelevant. I'm not picking a team to beat South Africa or anyone else, I'm picking the best XI from the series.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd go with Furball's team. No way you can drop any of the 4 quicks after the series they had and no other bat is screaming to be picked.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Given that Cook, Trott, Bairstow, Prior, Hughes, Khawaja, Warner and Haddin all averaged about 25 between them I think it's fair to say Broad (25 with the bat and 27 with the ball) was the allrounder of the series.