Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: England Tour Squad for Australia

How long is Bresnan due out for?
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    How long is Bresnan due out for?
    It's supposed to be about a month, but the sudden swerve to playing Woakes in a Test makes me think there's worse to come for him.
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Woakes isn't as much of a like for like replacement as you might think though. Sure they're both in that, bowler, notorious for their runs at eight, group, but Woakes is a superior batsman and inferior bowler by some margin. I'd be very surprised if they picked Woakes as one of four bowlers in Australia, something Bresnan is all but guaranteed if fit. For now his place in the side is pretty much entirely reliant on five bowlers, and in most cases, two spinners.

They're also pretty different type of bowlers as well, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

School Boy/Girl Captain
    This is how I would go about the England squad. I would take 18 players. The 11 that start is made up of 6 batsmen, a keeper and 4 bowlers. 7 reserve players so I would say 2 batsmen, 4 bowlers (3 seam & 1 spin) and a keeper.

I would break it down the following way

Definites (5 bat, 1 WK, 3 bowl)
    Cook - Bat
    Root - Bat
    Trott - Bat
    Pietersen - Bat
    Bell - Bat
    Prior - WK
    Swann - Bowl
    Broad - Bowl
    Anderson - Bowl

Probables (5 bowl)
    Tremlett - Bowl
    Bresnan - Bowl (Fitness depending)
    Finn - Bowl
    Onions - Bowl
    Panesar - Bowl

Possibles (only space for 3 bats + 1 WK left)
    Davies - WK/Bat
    Compton - Bat
    Ali - Bat
    Bopara - Bat
    Patel - Bat
    Bairstow - Bat/WK??
    Taylor - Bat
    Ballance - Bat
    Morgan - Bat

I would take Taylor, Compton and then I would go for Bopara. Davies I would take as a wicketkeeper, can't see Bairstow doing well in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Woakes isn't as much of a like for like replacement as you might think though. Sure they're both in that, bowler, notorious for their runs at eight, group, but Woakes is a superior batsman and inferior bowler by some margin. I'd be very surprised if they picked Woakes as one of four bowlers in Australia, something Bresnan is all but guaranteed if fit. For now his place in the side is pretty much entirely reliant on five bowlers, and in most cases, two spinners.

They're also pretty different type of bowlers as well, IMO.
    AWTA.

Woakes' future is batting at 6 and chipping in as the 5th bowler IMO.

Yeah I think Woakes has to live or die by his runs at this stage. His bowling is definitely good enough as a batting allrounder and, while he should keep working on it, it'll more or less take care of itself. There are big question marks over whether his batting is good enough to play primarily as a batsman but that's what he should be really judged upon at this stage.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

School Boy/Girl Captain
    I'd rather have Dernbach than Woakes.

I'd be disappointed if Finn goes on the tour, because it means he'd play ahead of Tremmers.

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    What makes you think that? Tremmers came in for Finn in the last series and performed infinitely better, and Finn's bowling hasn't really moved forward much since then. If they're both fully fit I'd imagine Tremmers would be picked first.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbyrne91 View Post
    I'd rather have Dernbach than Woakes.
    See, it's post like this that piss me off. Woakes has played all of his tests, and probably will play all his tests in the forceable future, as an all-rounder, batting in the top seven. Dernbach is a terrible comparison because they're by no means like for like replacements. If you would honestly rather have Dernbach batting at six in a test match if it meant no Woakes, then, well...

See, it's post like this that piss me off. Woakes has played all of his tests, and probably will play all his tests in the forceable future, as an all-rounder, batting in the top seven. Dernbach is a terrible comparison because they're by no means like for like replacements. If you would honestly rather have Dernbach batting at six in a test match if it meant no Woakes, then, well...
    Haha I knew you'd bite; that's why I didn't bother.

It reminded me of Hinton's post the other day comparing Moeen Ali to Boyd Rankin.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    I hate Jade Dernbach. He is a cock.

But while we are on the subject Chris Woakes opens the bowling for Warwickshire and bats at 7. And if I did want another bowler in the side it doesn't mean they would be batting 6.

Bopara booking his place on the plane for Australia today! Especially as Taylor and Ballance missed their only chance to shine. Can't wait to see Ravi walking out to bat at 6 at the Gabbatoir!

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Steady on young man.

See how he shapes up versus ver crims first at least, eh?

All due etc to Ireland's attack, but their best bowler was in our XI. Plus it looked road central too, judging by the highlights.

Although part of me wants to see it happen just to see Scaly's reaction... ;whistling
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Steady on young man.

See how he shapes up versus ver crims first at least, eh?

All due etc to Ireland's attack, but their best bowler was in our XI. Plus it looked road central too, judging by the highlights.

Although part of me wants to see it happen just to see Scaly's reaction... ;whistling
    That's not even slightly true, afaic. I'm not all that convinced Rankin makes their top three at home.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread Information