• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at Chester-le-Street

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If they were just for injuries it would be abused too much if a bowler was having a mare.
Yeah, the only way it would be workable would be if a safeguard was built in, like, say, any player being substituted for an injury automatically misses the next test match.

BeeGee

International Captain
If they were just for injuries it would be abused too much if a bowler was having a mare.
Yeah, it couldn't be just for injuries. It would have to be like substitutes for other sports (football, rugby, etc.). Maybe two named substitute players who are each allowed to be subbed into the game once? Like I said, it would be difficult to implement in a way that didn't fundamentally change the game. But I still kind of like the idea of it. Would add a lot of tactical interest.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Rubbish.

Running has everything to do with batting. What is it that batsmen score? Runs. The clue's in the ****i g name.

If you can't run then hit boundaries. Getting someone else to do the running for you is a ****ing joke.
I don't agree with his point but I think the converse works, i.e. it's fair so say that if they're going to recognise runners as a let-off then they can start doing something about subs coming on for bowlers. Running is definitely a part of batting, and while fielding isn't exactly analogous it is something that goes hand in hand with bowling. You do spend half the time doing it even when you're on at one end, after all.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm just trying to remind myself how supersubs worked in ODIs. Was pretty stupid iirc.
The supersub idea would have worked better if you could name your team after the toss.

Eg England could win the toss, bat first and name a side of:

Cook
Bell
Trott
KP
Morgan
Root
Buttler
Bresnan
Swann
Broad
Finn

Then at the innings break sub on Anderson for whichever batsman is your biggest passenger in the field.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The supersub idea would have worked better if you could name your team after the toss.
yeah could've been a real simple fix that would have made it fair but they just chucked it a bit prematurely IMO.

OTOH part of the interest in cricket is balancing the team, with each player having weaknesses.

Woodster

International Captain
Ian Bell really has ticked all the boxes this series. He has scored runs when England have most needed them, something he has been accused of not doing in the past but done so convincingly in this Ashes series, he has worked hard for his runs against a very disciplined attack and at times in very difficult batting conditions, when the opportunity has allowed he has demonstrated his elegance and exquisite timing synonymous with his impeccable strokeplay.

The only thing missing is maybe a big ton, if that comes along tomorrow England will be in an extremely good position.

91Jmay

International Coach
Reportedly a right hip/groin issue. Yeah i'd be shocked if he didn't bat at some stage. Batting 6, if the day goes to Englands plan and Aussies start ok with the bat he might not be needed tomorrow anyway giving him another day to assess.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not the greatest day from our perspective. Still obviously within a chance though.

Bell....crikey. If he managed to turn one of his tons into a daddy hundred it'd pretty much be the perfect series.

sexpistol

Cricket Spectator
I actually think that if we get a lead of 250 that will be enough. Swann will come good and take a few wickets in the Aussies second inns.

Expressway76

U19 Vice-Captain
I actually think that if we get a lead of 250 that will be enough. Swann will come good and take a few wickets in the Aussies second inns.
Definitely. I can see extremely long Swann spells where he has the batsmen pinned down causing some rash shots. Plus the danger of the new ball on this deck.

benchmark00

No idea what cricket Riggins has been watching if he thinks Haddin's keeping has been poor. His footwork has been decisive and fluid. Diving is prima facie evidence of poor footwork alone, but if you look you'll see the balls Haddin has dived to take have needed to be dived for, and the fact that he's been able to execute his dives is proof that his footwork in the lead up is sound as can be. His glove work (as in being able to hold the balls that he gets enough purchase on) has been fine which is what you'd expect at this level. UK is a super tough place to keep and you never really master it but he's come as close as you'll see in this day and age. Has been easily the best keeper on show (which granted isn't saying a whole lot).

I haven't been watching the Nine coverage, but have they asked Healy about it? I'd wager good money he'd give him a tick of approval because he's a stickler for fluent footwork behind the sticks.

Wade and Haddin's styles are worlds apart also ftr.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, he's been good, I'll give you that but he's not been that good. There have been a number of deliveries where he's just not reacted and not gone for at all. Definite room for improvement still.

Top_Cat

Tony Hill is shot and I reckon the players know it. The Rogers and Harris outs were......oh man.

91Jmay

International Coach
The pitch started to turn in the last 30 minutes, so Swann will certainly be in the game from ball 1 which will make the Aussies task a great deal more difficult. 275 should be England's target, and that should be enough.