• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at Old Trafford

hazsa19

International Regular
I ****ing hate nightwatchmen. If England think that a bowler being sent in to protect the batsmen is a good idea then why the **** is the nightwatchman trying to play a pull shot two overs from stumps?

Ludicrous.
Yep. Waste of a decent no.8 batsmen down the order too.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
A Cook & Trott day is long overdue. Would be good timing too, what with the footy starting :ph34r:

hazsa19

International Regular
This theory doesn't work for me, we'll have a better guy at 8 now
I would argue he has more chance of playing a decent inning at no.8 than no.3. But I guess he did his job in a way because Cook and Trott are n.o.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
"If we don't win it's useless"

Brutal assessment of Clarke's ton, from the man himself. Love that sort of honesty from a sportsman.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Long hop, **** shot, **** decision, **** decision not to review
This.

Time for Cook, Trott & KP to actually show up tomorrow or Aus are well on the way to 2-1.

Oh, and a wonderful innings from Clarke. An object lesson in how to bat on this track.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
The weather may save England on Monday if it goes that far. Especially if they avoid the follow on. Depends if the forecast changes but it looks abysmal ATM.

Monday's Radar

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
We'll make 500 odd and Australia will collapse in the 2nd innings. This will then break Australia for the rest of the series. A la Adelaide 2006.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Amazing how different the contest between bat and ball can feel when the fielding side is fresh and has runs on the board.

Didn't Compton used to get criticised for failing to rotate the strike... Root's been absolutely terribola at it thus far in his opening career
Compton's a 30 year old South African who lacks flair. It's completely different.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't really get the night watchman hate. Complete non-issue.

Having one for Broad in the last test was terrible though.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't really get the night watchman hate. Complete non-issue.

Having one for Broad in the last test was terrible though.
Generally it's just quite dull, and it gives batsmen more chances of being stranded at the end.

Batsmen should man the **** up, and bat, it's their job after all.

Anyway Swann says Bres thought he hit the ball. Not the brightest though is he? Should he have walked if it was not given :ph34r:

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
What's England doing out there? They can't possibly think they can draw this game by going at below a 30 strike rate. They'll have to come out tomorrow and score a bit more freely or this has a loss written all over it. This will be a real test for England and they're currently just digging a bigger hole.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What's England doing out there? They can't possibly think they can draw this game by going at below a 30 strike rate. They'll have to come out tomorrow and score a bit more freely or this has a loss written all over it. This will be a real test for England and they're currently just digging a bigger hole.
They have stroke-players coming in practically every position from now on, this really will not be an issue.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Mate it was the new ball, on day 2, with Australia bowling well, and only 30 overs to play out till stumps, with nowhere to go. The run rate is not the issue. @Garson

On the nightwatchmen thing, what ****s me off is that they use Bresnan for it. What an absolute waste of a decent lower order batsmen who could be handy coming in later with runs already en board. I can understand using Jimmy who can (or at least used to be able to) stick around for a bit without ever threatening to get a score. Total waste of time using Bres.

Also whenever I ****ing get the train home at the end of the day I come back to us ****ing up just before stumps. Stupid ****ers.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Have you ever watched Test cricket before?

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Have you ever watched Test cricket before?
Yeah mate. I've also seen a lot of teams make mistakes. Playing for a draw on the second day is pretty much one of the top mistakes. The less pressure you put on scoring the less time Australia will spend out there in their second dig. It's simple mathematics.