Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Player Ratings - As We Go By....

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    You can't just assume they'll be 9-115 all the time either though. The teams are far more evenly matched than a lot of people gave credit for before the series started.
    I'm not saying they'll be 9/115 everytime. I'm just saying that there's still a very large disparity in the quality of the top-order batting, too large imo to be made up by Australia's (arguably) slight advantages in bowling depth and lower order batting.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

Rather than rating everyboday, I'll rate the key players who I think need rating.

Clarke - 3: While he failed with the bat, his captaincy was creative and sustained on a tough pitch I thought, used his bowlers well (loses mark for no Smitteh though)
    Watson/Rogers - 6: showed promise as an opening pair, complement each other as a pair, but they need to be better when the going gets tough to really give our middle order a chance.
    Cowan - 1, fielded poorly, played two ****ty shots to get out, but was sick I guess, I don't see a place for him in this team IMO, a grafter at 3 who is inconsistent is nothing but a liability.
    Agar - 8 great debut, excellent batting which kept us in the game, bowling suffered from nerves and finger injury, flights the ball well and picked up top order wickets, well played.
    Starc - 6 showed all the typical Starc traits, bowled well with the moving ball, but released the pressure at times, was disappointing with the bat, should continue to play IMO.

Cook - 5 captained poorly IMO, was uncreative and lacked killer instinct, still loose outside off but batted well in the second dig, countered Agar well until dismissal
    Root - 4 Looks OK at the top, got a good ball in the first and then was unlucky in the second, picked up a wicket too, should be stuck with for a little while at the top
    Bell - 8 was still a bit loose and lucky at times, but ultimately batted superbly in the second innings and gave them a match-winning lead
    Anderson - 10 couldn't have been better from him, looks very dangerous at times and his movement is very difficult to play, will be major factor going into Lords.
    There are two colours in my head

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    I'm not saying they'll be 9/115 everytime. I'm just saying that there's still a very large disparity in the quality of the top-order batting, too large imo to be made up by Australia's (arguably) slight advantages in bowling depth and lower order batting.
    The lower order batting wasn't just about Australia though IMO, I think it showed England lack a bit of killer instinct in finishing things off, and that they panic a little under the pressure of lower order partnerships. With 4 perfectly capable players in the bottom 4, you can't assume England are going to run through all them cheaply at some point during the series, I think it will always be struggle for England to get through our lower order, brings out the best in middle order batsmen it seems as well when batting with the lower order.

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    An extra point to Prior for standing at the stumps to Anderson and making it look easy? I thought the art of catching 135 kph deliveries from 20 metres away was dead and gone. A great effort.
    "Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong" - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Agree with this. Australia got 220+ (nearly 40%) of their runs from last wicket partnerships. I struggle to see Australia's lower order posting 150+ everytime, which is realistically what they need to do to make up for the difference in the top order batting. England's bowling (Anderson aside) was disappointing in this match, and does look a little vulnerable at times. But I still don't think the Aussie bats are good enough to take advantage.

OK, maybe not 150+, but why do people think Australia's lower order won't score runs consistently?

It's not like Tim Southee having a slog, those guys are genuine batsmen with the ability to attack and defend. There is no reason they can't score runs consistently.

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    An extra point to Prior for standing at the stumps to Anderson and making it look easy? I thought the art of catching 135 kph deliveries from 20 metres away was dead and gone. A great effort.
    did he even take a single ball? there was one through to him which he juggled and the rest stump to stump played by the batsman.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    OK, maybe not 150+, but why do people think Australia's lower order won't score runs consistently?

It's not like Tim Southee having a slog, those guys are genuine batsmen with the ability to attack and defend. There is no reason they can't score runs consistently.
    And it's got to be said England are developing a serious problem with closing out an innings. Total embarrassment that the 2 highest ever No11 scores have been against us in the last year.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Yeah, he did keep well stood up. No way would he have been good/confident enough to do this 4 years ago.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

I agree your tail are going to add runs consistently throughout the innings, but your 11th wicket added 230 runs. That's not happening again.

A big problem for England bowling at tailenders is how bad Swann is when a batsman is coming at him. Its a real hole in his game.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by 91Jmay View Post
    I agree your tail are going to add runs consistently throughout the innings, but your 11th wicket added 230 runs. That's not happening again.

A big problem for England bowling at tailenders is how bad Swann is when a batsman is coming at him. Its a real hole in his game.
    He is an average to good bowler at best who has been allowed to bowl above his level for far too long. All there is to it.

Watson - 6 : gets a couple of bonus points for bowling really really well. Batting is infuriating, but averaging 30 in a fairly low-scoring game isn't awful.
    Rogers - 6 : very promising. Looked pretty untroubled, unlucky to be given in the first, will be very annoyed by the second innings dismissal, and England will think that if they can dry up his runs then they're in with a chance, as he didn't look the same once Watson had been dismissed.
    Cowan - 1 : almost loses the token 1/10 for some poor fielding. He actually survived a very difficult spell in the second innings, before getting out to Root on tea...
    Clarke - 2 : few runs, bad DRS-ing. Rotated his bowlers fairly well, and kept England in check in the second innings.
    Smith - 6 : nice first innings, but a bad shot to get out which started a collapse, and then couldn't survive till stumps on day 4.
    Hughes - 6 : I didn't know he could bat like his first innings.
    Haddin - 7 : his keeping was probably only 4/10, but still so much better than Wade. Limp first innings dismissal, but superb on day 5...
    Agar - 8 : bowling figures would look much better with a third wicket. ICC needs to take baseball's lead and amend stats retrospectively...
    Starc - 3 : the occasional reasonable spell, but a lot of rubbish in there too and very flattered by his figures. Should he try to bat properly or just throw the bat?
    Siddle - 7 : looks tidy rather than threatening, but takes a lot of wickets. 150 at under 28... I think he is seriously underrated in general.
    Pattinson - 6 : Can bowl better, but still looks likely. Would be a contender for number 7 in some sides (eg New Zealand)...

Root - 5 : Yet to convince though it was an unlucky second innings dismissal, possibly in two ways. Gains a point for getting a useful wicket.
    Cook - 6 : Two poor shots to get out, but the second innings was important to gain some parity again. Loses a point for giving Finn a second over, but gains it back for a couple of excellent catches.
    Trott - 5 : Nice first innings, unlucky in the second, though he did basically miss a full-inswinger.
    Pietersen - 6 : Very good second innings knock when the momentum was all with Australia.
    Bell - 8 : I think his second innings has been over-praised - it felt like he had a fair amount of good fortune along the way, but he made the most of it. Excellent ground-fielding.
    Bairstow - 3 : I too think England were better off with Root at 6, and Compton opening, and nothing in this test changed my mind.
    Prior - 6 : won't enjoy watching either of those dismissals again, but kept well.
    Broad - 7 : took some big wickets, not least Agar in the first innings. And for all the controversy, his second innings runs won the game. Yes, he's a ****, but the bleating about his standing his ground is just pathetic. Seems a lot of people feel it's ok to stand for the thin edges, but you have to walk for the thick ones, which I feel is amazingly illogical.
    Swann - 3 : just not his ground. Didn't look like scoring any runs either.
    Finn - 2 : I scratch my head when I see his figures, 90 wickets at 29.., how has he managed that?
    Anderson - 10. Just superb. I made the comment in the match-thread - Anderson at one end, Ilford second eleven at the other. Hard to imagine England winning a match without him.

For those that rated Rogers / Twatto the same do you really think that his 9 extra runs are worth wattos bowling?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Watson's bowling was rubbish.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Watson's bowling was rubbish.

Depends what his job is I suppose. If it was tie up an end whilst giving someone else a rest then he did admirably.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnodouche View Post
    He is an average to good bowler at best who has been allowed to bowl above his level for far too long. All there is to it.
    Someone who watches a lot of cricket can't honestly believe this?
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Just think, if we'd bowled them out for zero we'd still be struggling

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information