• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player Ratings - As We Go By....

Riggins

International Captain
An extra point to Prior for standing at the stumps to Anderson and making it look easy? I thought the art of catching 135 kph deliveries from 20 metres away was dead and gone. A great effort.
did he even take a single ball? there was one through to him which he juggled and the rest stump to stump played by the batsman.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
OK, maybe not 150+, but why do people think Australia's lower order won't score runs consistently?

It's not like Tim Southee having a slog, those guys are genuine batsmen with the ability to attack and defend. There is no reason they can't score runs consistently.
And it's got to be said England are developing a serious problem with closing out an innings. Total embarrassment that the 2 highest ever No11 scores have been against us in the last year.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
An extra point to Prior for standing at the stumps to Anderson and making it look easy? I thought the art of catching 135 kph deliveries from 20 metres away was dead and gone. A great effort.
Yeah, he did keep well stood up. No way would he have been good/confident enough to do this 4 years ago.

91Jmay

International Coach
OK, maybe not 150+, but why do people think Australia's lower order won't score runs consistently?

It's not like Tim Southee having a slog, those guys are genuine batsmen with the ability to attack and defend. There is no reason they can't score runs consistently.
I agree your tail are going to add runs consistently throughout the innings, but your 11th wicket added 230 runs. That's not happening again.

A big problem for England bowling at tailenders is how bad Swann is when a batsman is coming at him. Its a real hole in his game.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I agree your tail are going to add runs consistently throughout the innings, but your 11th wicket added 230 runs. That's not happening again.

A big problem for England bowling at tailenders is how bad Swann is when a batsman is coming at him. Its a real hole in his game.
He is an average to good bowler at best who has been allowed to bowl above his level for far too long. All there is to it.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Watson - 6 : gets a couple of bonus points for bowling really really well. Batting is infuriating, but averaging 30 in a fairly low-scoring game isn't awful.
Rogers - 6 : very promising. Looked pretty untroubled, unlucky to be given in the first, will be very annoyed by the second innings dismissal, and England will think that if they can dry up his runs then they're in with a chance, as he didn't look the same once Watson had been dismissed.
Cowan - 1 : almost loses the token 1/10 for some poor fielding. He actually survived a very difficult spell in the second innings, before getting out to Root on tea...
Clarke - 2 : few runs, bad DRS-ing. Rotated his bowlers fairly well, and kept England in check in the second innings.
Smith - 6 : nice first innings, but a bad shot to get out which started a collapse, and then couldn't survive till stumps on day 4.
Hughes - 6 : I didn't know he could bat like his first innings.
Haddin - 7 : his keeping was probably only 4/10, but still so much better than Wade. Limp first innings dismissal, but superb on day 5...
Agar - 8 : bowling figures would look much better with a third wicket. ICC needs to take baseball's lead and amend stats retrospectively...
Starc - 3 : the occasional reasonable spell, but a lot of rubbish in there too and very flattered by his figures. Should he try to bat properly or just throw the bat?
Siddle - 7 : looks tidy rather than threatening, but takes a lot of wickets. 150 at under 28... I think he is seriously underrated in general.
Pattinson - 6 : Can bowl better, but still looks likely. Would be a contender for number 7 in some sides (eg New Zealand)...

Root - 5 : Yet to convince though it was an unlucky second innings dismissal, possibly in two ways. Gains a point for getting a useful wicket.
Cook - 6 : Two poor shots to get out, but the second innings was important to gain some parity again. Loses a point for giving Finn a second over, but gains it back for a couple of excellent catches.
Trott - 5 : Nice first innings, unlucky in the second, though he did basically miss a full-inswinger.
Pietersen - 6 : Very good second innings knock when the momentum was all with Australia.
Bell - 8 : I think his second innings has been over-praised - it felt like he had a fair amount of good fortune along the way, but he made the most of it. Excellent ground-fielding.
Bairstow - 3 : I too think England were better off with Root at 6, and Compton opening, and nothing in this test changed my mind.
Prior - 6 : won't enjoy watching either of those dismissals again, but kept well.
Broad - 7 : took some big wickets, not least Agar in the first innings. And for all the controversy, his second innings runs won the game. Yes, he's a ****, but the bleating about his standing his ground is just pathetic. Seems a lot of people feel it's ok to stand for the thin edges, but you have to walk for the thick ones, which I feel is amazingly illogical.
Swann - 3 : just not his ground. Didn't look like scoring any runs either.
Finn - 2 : I scratch my head when I see his figures, 90 wickets at 29.., how has he managed that?
Anderson - 10. Just superb. I made the comment in the match-thread - Anderson at one end, Ilford second eleven at the other. Hard to imagine England winning a match without him.

Valer

First Class Debutant
For those that rated Rogers / Twatto the same do you really think that his 9 extra runs are worth wattos bowling?

Expressway76

U19 Vice-Captain
Someone who watches a lot of cricket can't honestly believe this?
No, spinners who average under 30 at test level with a s/r under 60 and an economy rate under 3 are ten a penny, especially those who bowl more than half their careers in non subcontinent conditions 8-)

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Just saying that global spin-playing stocks have gone down drastically over the past five years. Don't get me wrong, Swann is a good, steady, consistent bowler but his bluster and modern techniques in general - even subcontinental techniques - give him far too much respect. I'll wager even middle tier batsmen like Sidhu and Ranatunga from twenty years ago would've played him far better.

hazsa19

International Regular
Broad deserves higher ratings than most have given. His innings was crucial to England winning this match. It doesn't matter if you think he should have been out. agar was out for 6 but it hasn't detracted from Hid score. Broads bowling on the 4th evening was also superior to Jimmys at the time. He made the all important breakthrough twice, dismissing Australia's two most dangerous players.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Morgie Australia defeated England 66.5 - 61.5
Cabinet Australia defeated England 67.5 - 65.5
Think most people's summed ratings would give this: Australia's performance was closer to their ceiling than our efforts were.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's curious that some people are saying Australia's lower order won't add runs through the series after the first test, but are happy to say the top order won't do anything at all based on the same sample size.

Anyway, time will tell.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's curious that some people are saying Australia's lower order won't add runs through the series after the first test, but are happy to say the top order won't do anything at all based on the same sample size.

Anyway, time will tell.
It's not the same sample size though is it?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Broad deserves higher ratings than most have given. His innings was crucial to England winning this match. It doesn't matter if you think he should have been out. agar was out for 6 but it hasn't detracted from Hid score. Broads bowling on the 4th evening was also superior to Jimmys at the time. He made the all important breakthrough twice, dismissing Australia's two most dangerous players.
This.

I was very happy with Broads performance in this test, he looks back to being somewhere near his best. He'll never be consistent like Jimmy, we all know that but I reckon he is a shoe in to win us at least one of these 5 tests off his own bowling......lock him in for an Oval 2009 or Lords 2013 type performance at some stage this series.