Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 75

Thread: which players will play their last test matches in the forthcoming ashes series

  1. #31
    State Vice-Captain Tangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Polar Vortex
    Posts
    1,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    No he wouldn't. He was picked to score big tons because, for Tassie, he was doing exactly that. He was, in fact, picked specifically to shore up a faltering middle-lower order so that he's not, no he's not doing his job or even a job. If the Test side was looking for a bloke to numpty his way to 30 off 100+, they'd pick someone younger with room to develop or have stuck with Watson. He shouldn't get a pass because he's not outright failing.
    Agreed. Its fine to be dour and see off the new ball but you must then push on and score big for the team. He hasn't done that enough.

  2. #32
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    22,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    That was what I thought his job should be, not what he was picked for, think about it, If we are say, 2/90 when Cowan gets out for 35, then the middle order have an excellent platform to launch from after lunch, I don't see why they need big runs from Cowan when they have Hughes and Warner in their who are all or nothing players. I figured the team needs someone who can consistently get off to a decent and solid start.
    Nah, it's definitely what he was picked for. Like I said, if they only wanted a bloke to set the scene, there are better options.
    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp

  3. #33
    International Vice-Captain Maximas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Footmarks
    Posts
    4,819
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Nah, it's definitely what he was picked for. Like I said, if they only wanted a bloke to set the scene, there are better options.
    Yeah I agree he was picked to score big, but who are the other options you speak of? Silk?
    Proudly supporting the world's no 1 spin bowler Rangana Herath and the mighty Sri Lankans!

    I even made a domestic thread

  4. #34
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    22,957
    Watto was doing exactly that. Quickfire 30-40 with the chance of a little higher on occasion. He was dropped down the order specifically because it wasn't what the team needed, hence why Cowan. Cowan is doing what Watto did but slower, hurting the oppo less and looking worse.

    Anyway, that's my perception of why Cowan will be dropped. He's not scoring tons and not really contributing so I'm guessing they'll go back to Watson, especially since he's been meh for Notts. He might not score many more but the way he'll go about it will hurt England more, he bowls really well even as a part-timer (especially in England) and is far more useful in the field.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 24-06-2013 at 05:35 AM.


  5. #35
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    11,300
    Wasn't Watson dropped down to give more time between bowling and batting ie low scores were supposed to be happening because he hadnt had enough time to get focused on batting after bowling
    "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts.. . For support rather than illumination. " - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

  6. #36
    International Coach morgieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Dishing out broken ****ing floggings
    Posts
    10,687
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Did you read my post?
    Still I disagree. Would be more likely to give up other forms I think if injuries were to hit, though have NFI if he still gets picked for them.
    5-0

    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

    Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

  7. #37
    Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    8,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Watto was doing exactly that. Quickfire 30-40 with the chance of a little higher on occasion. He was dropped down the order specifically because it wasn't what the team needed, hence why Cowan. Cowan is doing what Watto did but slower, hurting the oppo less and looking worse.

    Anyway, that's my perception of why Cowan will be dropped. He's not scoring tons and not really contributing so I'm guessing they'll go back to Watson, especially since he's been meh for Notts. He might not score many more but the way he'll go about it will hurt England more, he bowls really well even as a part-timer (especially in England) and is far more useful in the field.
    I'd be careful about that. Cowan came into the side when Watson was injured, and did OK against India. Had a couple of rough decisions but went OK. Then the most obvious person to drop from that side once Watson returned was Smarsh, so Watson moved into three. That's pretty much where he's batted since, until Hughes came in to replace Ponting, and as Hughes is a more natural opener, that's why he bats three and Watson four.

    That's just how I see it anyway. I can see your gripe with Cowan. I personally would keep him, just because I think the alternatives aren't all that flash anyway. But I'd be careful about suggesting that Watson was moved down the order because they weren't happy with what he was doing at the top of the order. I think it was more just that they weren't displeased with what the other openers did when Watson was injured.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

    When KP returns he will be the banana..

  8. #38
    International Coach morgieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Dishing out broken ****ing floggings
    Posts
    10,687
    I think Cowan shouldn't be in this thread. If he gets dropped, it'll be before the series, not during/after IMO.

  9. #39
    International Coach Pothas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Surbiton, UK
    Posts
    10,758
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    I think Cowan shouldn't be in this thread. If he gets dropped, it'll be before the series, not during/after IMO.
    So you are basically saying he will do well If he gets picked?

    Think him and Compton are both prime candidates, neither is ever going to be entirely secure in the side. I would guess that both will play at Trent Bridge but neither will be there come Brisbane.

  10. #40
    International Coach morgieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Dishing out broken ****ing floggings
    Posts
    10,687
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    So you are basically saying he will do well If he gets picked?

    Think him and Compton are both prime candidates, neither is ever going to be entirely secure in the side. I would guess that both will play at Trent Bridge but neither will be there come Brisbane.
    Well enough to keep his place or at least keep his name in contention. Not like we have that many better options.

  11. #41
    Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    15,612
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    Why would Arthur's sacking lead to the end of Cowan's career?

    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

    Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.


    Check out this awesome e-fed:

    PWE Efed

  12. #42
    Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    15,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    Cowan wouldn't be under so much pressure if the middle order actually consolidated on the solid starts he often makes, so instead everyone hounds him for not going on and making big scores. TBH If he made 30 every innings and saw off the new ball he would be just about doing his job.
    A regular Akash Chopra..

  13. #43
    Hall of Fame Member Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Justice For The 96
    Posts
    19,148
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    Still I disagree. Would be more likely to give up other forms I think if injuries were to hit, though have NFI if he still gets picked for them.
    He doesn't get a choice if he's injured.

  14. #44
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    22,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    I'd be careful about that. Cowan came into the side when Watson was injured, and did OK against India. Had a couple of rough decisions but went OK. Then the most obvious person to drop from that side once Watson returned was Smarsh, so Watson moved into three. That's pretty much where he's batted since, until Hughes came in to replace Ponting, and as Hughes is a more natural opener, that's why he bats three and Watson four.

    That's just how I see it anyway. I can see your gripe with Cowan. I personally would keep him, just because I think the alternatives aren't all that flash anyway. But I'd be careful about suggesting that Watson was moved down the order because they weren't happy with what he was doing at the top of the order. I think it was more just that they weren't displeased with what the other openers did when Watson was injured.
    Yeah, quick spot of Googling and what I said is probably more a reflection of what I said at the time than what anyone in the hierarchy were saying.

  15. #45
    International Captain hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,115
    Watson.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 79
    Last Post: 10-11-2011, 11:38 AM
  2. Players who can't be dropped in test matches
    By Leslie1 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 14-12-2008, 06:30 AM
  3. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 31-10-2007, 05:51 AM
  4. Ashes Players of the series.....and their missus
    By sqwerty in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 13-09-2005, 05:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •