Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: which players will play their last test matches in the forthcoming ashes series

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    No he wouldn't. He was picked to score big tons because, for Tassie, he was doing exactly that. He was, in fact, picked specifically to shore up a faltering middle-lower order so that he's not, no he's not doing his job or even a job. If the Test side was looking for a bloke to numpty his way to 30 off 100+, they'd pick someone younger with room to develop or have stuck with Watson. He shouldn't get a pass because he's not outright failing.
    Agreed. Its fine to be dour and see off the new ball but you must then push on and score big for the team. He hasn't done that enough.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    That was what I thought his job should be, not what he was picked for, think about it, If we are say, 2/90 when Cowan gets out for 35, then the middle order have an excellent platform to launch from after lunch, I don't see why they need big runs from Cowan when they have Hughes and Warner in their who are all or nothing players. I figured the team needs someone who can consistently get off to a decent and solid start.
    Nah, it's definitely what he was picked for. Like I said, if they only wanted a bloke to set the scene, there are better options.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

International Vice-Captain Maximas's Avatar
    Nah, it's definitely what he was picked for. Like I said, if they only wanted a bloke to set the scene, there are better options.
    Yeah I agree he was picked to score big, but who are the other options you speak of? Silk?
    Proudly supporting the world's no 1 spin bowler Rangana Herath and the mighty Sri Lankans!

I even made a domestic thread

Watto was doing exactly that. Quickfire 30-40 with the chance of a little higher on occasion. He was dropped down the order specifically because it wasn't what the team needed, hence why Cowan. Cowan is doing what Watto did but slower, hurting the oppo less and looking worse.

Anyway, that's my perception of why Cowan will be dropped. He's not scoring tons and not really contributing so I'm guessing they'll go back to Watson, especially since he's been meh for Notts. He might not score many more but the way he'll go about it will hurt England more, he bowls really well even as a part-timer (especially in England) and is far more useful in the field.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 24-06-2013 at 05:35 AM.

Wasn't Watson dropped down to give more time between bowling and batting ie low scores were supposed to be happening because he hadnt had enough time to get focused on batting after bowling
    "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts.. . For support rather than illumination. " - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Did you read my post?
    Still I disagree. Would be more likely to give up other forms I think if injuries were to hit, though have NFI if he still gets picked for them.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Watto was doing exactly that. Quickfire 30-40 with the chance of a little higher on occasion. He was dropped down the order specifically because it wasn't what the team needed, hence why Cowan. Cowan is doing what Watto did but slower, hurting the oppo less and looking worse.

Anyway, that's my perception of why Cowan will be dropped. He's not scoring tons and not really contributing so I'm guessing they'll go back to Watson, especially since he's been meh for Notts. He might not score many more but the way he'll go about it will hurt England more, he bowls really well even as a part-timer (especially in England) and is far more useful in the field.
    I'd be careful about that. Cowan came into the side when Watson was injured, and did OK against India. Had a couple of rough decisions but went OK. Then the most obvious person to drop from that side once Watson returned was Smarsh, so Watson moved into three. That's pretty much where he's batted since, until Hughes came in to replace Ponting, and as Hughes is a more natural opener, that's why he bats three and Watson four.

That's just how I see it anyway. I can see your gripe with Cowan. I personally would keep him, just because I think the alternatives aren't all that flash anyway. But I'd be careful about suggesting that Watson was moved down the order because they weren't happy with what he was doing at the top of the order. I think it was more just that they weren't displeased with what the other openers did when Watson was injured.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

I think Cowan shouldn't be in this thread. If he gets dropped, it'll be before the series, not during/after IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    I think Cowan shouldn't be in this thread. If he gets dropped, it'll be before the series, not during/after IMO.
    So you are basically saying he will do well If he gets picked?

Think him and Compton are both prime candidates, neither is ever going to be entirely secure in the side. I would guess that both will play at Trent Bridge but neither will be there come Brisbane.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    So you are basically saying he will do well If he gets picked?

Think him and Compton are both prime candidates, neither is ever going to be entirely secure in the side. I would guess that both will play at Trent Bridge but neither will be there come Brisbane.
    Well enough to keep his place or at least keep his name in contention. Not like we have that many better options.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Why would Arthur's sacking lead to the end of Cowan's career?

We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    Cowan wouldn't be under so much pressure if the middle order actually consolidated on the solid starts he often makes, so instead everyone hounds him for not going on and making big scores. TBH If he made 30 every innings and saw off the new ball he would be just about doing his job.
    A regular Akash Chopra..

Still I disagree. Would be more likely to give up other forms I think if injuries were to hit, though have NFI if he still gets picked for them.
    He doesn't get a choice if he's injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    I'd be careful about that. Cowan came into the side when Watson was injured, and did OK against India. Had a couple of rough decisions but went OK. Then the most obvious person to drop from that side once Watson returned was Smarsh, so Watson moved into three. That's pretty much where he's batted since, until Hughes came in to replace Ponting, and as Hughes is a more natural opener, that's why he bats three and Watson four.

That's just how I see it anyway. I can see your gripe with Cowan. I personally would keep him, just because I think the alternatives aren't all that flash anyway. But I'd be careful about suggesting that Watson was moved down the order because they weren't happy with what he was doing at the top of the order. I think it was more just that they weren't displeased with what the other openers did when Watson was injured.
    Yeah, quick spot of Googling and what I said is probably more a reflection of what I said at the time than what anyone in the hierarchy were saying.

Watson.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information