• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warm up Matches Discussion

James

Cricket Web Owner
For discussion surrounding the warm up matches against Somerset, Worcestershire, Sussex, Northamptonshire .

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yup. They should've actually covered some of Australia's warm up games, instead of just making a publicity stunt by changing the name of Sky Sports Two.

greg

International Debutant
Shame that some of the games aren't on Sky and just the Essex v England one is.
Is there provision for Essex to be given an extra innings or 5? 8-)

It does seem a rather strange decision, and touring warm-up games have often been covered in the past. We all know what England look like, we know very little of most of the Australian team and showing games on Sky would give us a bit more of an introduction. And frankly i reckon the England team would like the TV coverage to give them something to work on viz the opposition weaknesses as well (maybe that's why they're NOT being shown...!)

Last edited:

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Compton gone. Not included in the warmup squad- Cook Anderson Bairstow Bell Bresnan Broad Finn Onions Pietersen Prior Rankin Root Swann & Trott

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Plenty of bowling options. Rankin obviously has impressed. Also shows the disatisfaction with the form of Bresnan and Finn.

Disappointed in that Root probably won't end up at number 4 now. Thought it may have been best going forward. Could have the two class acts in 5 years time in Cook and Root opening. Would have been nice to have split them up especially as Root seems very comfortable in the middle order. Compton gets what he deserves really- Just not that good

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
He's been picked when he's been fit to be fair.

He's also been bowling 2nd change to Wright, Barker & Woakes.

Guess it's Finn cover and they've been seeming to groom him for a while but definitely the odd name out there and suggests Tremlett's gone from an international point of view.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So now we know the first ten of the side for the ashes first test. All about whether it is Finn or Bresnan for the last spot. Picking Onions and Rankin for this game squad makes sense if they want to rest any of the test bowlers for any reason.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think it's the correct decision. Compton did some admirable things in India but I just don't think he is good enough. Root and Cook has the potential to be our opening pair for years and years, no need to wait an arbitrary amount of time before moving Root their.

Rankin is a strange one though, not a fan of that selection I have to say.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
I don't like the Compton decision as I don't like Bairstow at 6. Who is next cab off the rank if Bairstow struggles?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't like the Compton decision as I don't like Bairstow at 6. Who is next cab off the rank if Bairstow struggles?
Would rather have my weakest batsman at 6 than opening.

Also, without wanting to come across all Ian Chappell like, Baristow is a far more attacking player, he may not have totally convinced yet but he has demonstrated some talent. I just think it looks stronger with Root and Cook at the top, I don't expect Root to perform miracles in this series but I think he will score more than Compton would.

Expressway76

U19 Vice-Captain
I'm happy with the Compton decision. He just hasn't convinced as test player and his strike rate is incredibly slow (34) even for a test opener, a real momentum dragger.