Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 13th Thread - Who will be the Pantomime Villain?

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Yeah that's not a bad shout, though he's also been over there before. It's a bit hard to portray him as a villain, because I always get the impression he's about to cry.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Similar to the portrayal of MJ perhaps - Pommie supporters going after the weak one in the line-up because they know the rest are hard ****s you can't get at?

Or, in the case of Warner, too bloody stupid to understand the insults being thrown at him.

They're pretty easy to deal with actually. If you turned around and had a laugh with them, you'd win them over.

In terms of our squad here's who I think would be likely to react to pommie taunts:

Warner - yes, could go either way. Could either force him into rash shots, or make him score a run-a-ball match winning century.
    Cowan - no
    Watson - yes, will likely negatively affect his performance.
    Clarke - no
    Rogers - no
    Hughes - maybe, leaning towards thinking it would improve his performance, but old demons might resurface being back in England.
    Khawaja - yes, thinking it would make him be more aggressive, but probably to his own downfall.
    Wade - yes, think he would knuckle down though, and score some gritty runs.
    Haddin - yes, would force him into rash shots, although this being his 'comeback' of sorts he might be more determined to focus on the game situation.
    Siddle - yes, would bowl better and run in harder.
    Pattinson - yes, would bowl better and run in angrier.
    Starc - yes, would turn into a Johnson like mess.
    Lyon - no, think he would just get on with business.
    Bird - no real idea, but don't think he'd let it affect him.

So I think Watson, Khawaja, Starc and maybe Hughes/Warner should be the prime targets.

Of England, everyone would be negatively affected except Trott, but whose going to sledge Trott anyway. Waiting for a response would be more boring than watching him play.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
    In terms of our squad here's who I think would be likely to react to pommie taunts:

Warner - yes, could go either way. Could either force him into rash shots, or make him score a run-a-ball match winning century.
    Cowan - no
    Watson - yes, will likely negatively affect his performance.
    Clarke - no
    Rogers - no
    Hughes - maybe, leaning towards thinking it would improve his performance, but old demons might resurface being back in England.
    Khawaja - yes, thinking it would make him be more aggressive, but probably to his own downfall.
    Wade - yes, think he would knuckle down though, and score some gritty runs.
    Haddin - yes, would force him into rash shots, although this being his 'comeback' of sorts he might be more determined to focus on the game situation.
    Siddle - yes, would bowl better and run in harder.
    Pattinson - yes, would bowl better and run in angrier.
    Starc - yes, would turn into a Johnson like mess.
    Lyon - no, think he would just get on with business.
    Bird - no real idea, but don't think he'd let it affect him.

So I think Watson, Khawaja, Starc and maybe Hughes/Warner should be the prime targets.

Of England, everyone would be negatively affected except Trott, but whose going to sledge Trott anyway. Waiting for a response would be more boring than watching him play.
    Was this meant to be a Harris injury joke?

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Valer View Post
    Was this meant to be a Harris injury joke?
    haha, whoops, left out faulkner too. Harris no. Very mentally strong, up there with the best in the side from that pov. Faulkner - no clue.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Patto seriously likely to jump the fence and belt someone if he's all fired up in the middle of a spell. Hope it's Corrin.
    Haha I don't think I'm attending any cricket this summer. First time in many years. We'll see though.

Enjoyed the OP, you'd make a good Evertonian.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

lolz, nice one Valer.

As if, Siddle would run in any harder if taunted. What Ruckus is saying is basically who is mentally fragile. For me its Watson, Hughes, maybe Wade. Some might think Khawaja fits into this category, but I don't.

With the targets for what Burgey is saying, it has to be Warner and Watson.

well not necessarily mentally fragile, just those who I think are more likely be emotionally affected (e.g. an angrier Pattinson probably wouldn't be a bad thing for his performance). But I guess a more relevant answer to what Burgey was asking, is that 'pantomime villians' are typically the players who either are the most talented in the team, get on the nerves of the opposition, let their performance be emotionally effected by the crowd/players or have a combination of all those qualities. For me, someone like Clarke (while he no doubt will cop some flack from the crowd because he is the best player and captain) is too understated to be the main target. Watson, I think, just isn't enough of a 'marquee' player to attract that much attention anymore. It's gotta be Warner or Pattinson.

How many times was the OP re-drafted?
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

Did it in about 10 minutes at work this morning. I'd have thought it was obvious :-/

I'm impressed by your commitment

The case I had listed for four days finished before lunch yesterday, so I have a bit of spare time.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    The Barmy Army songs in the first session will be pivotal. Warner most likely to have an on-field meltdown and define the series though.

Pattinson will be the barbarian imbecile given endless **** over homeworkgate, Watson (God forbid he plays) is already the soft nancy boy afraid of ghosts, and Warner will cop it endlessly over his tweets and general illiteracy. Crowd won't be kind to Hughes either, mostly for being Clarke's undroppable pet. Think Siddle elicits grudging respect nowadays, as does Clarke. Then again, so did Gillespie in 2005 and they wouldn't shut up about his investment caravan property.

Patto and Warner to come out for the better if so. Watson will collapse like a histrionic rag and give an exclusive to the Daily Mail. Pat Howard to insist team confidence is high after every drinks break.
    Last edited by LongHopCassidy; 29-05-2013 at 12:43 AM.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information