• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

howardj

International Coach
Stevie Smith I feel genuinely sorry for.

Given that neither will start in the 1st Test IMO, Smith is probably a better middle order back up than Hughes

That we already have four openers apart from Hughes in the squad, makes a middle order reserve player a more required spot

Moreover, given Hughes's sub 30 average in the past two years, and Smith averaging 40 in India, the latter can consider himself pretty unlucky

howardj

International Coach
Completely different conditions. Harsh but the right decision
I agree in part that Smith is better suited in India than England

But is Hughes a great bet in England?

Decent squad though - a lot of the bits and pieces players and short form speialists have been expunged

howardj

International Coach
Why wasn't Hilfenhaus named in the A team?

Hope he's over there playing some sort of County or League cricket

Chances are a reserve will get called up at some stage (would be a major surprise if at least one quick didn't break down) and he seems the next most logical option

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know if Hughes is a sure bet, who does, but omitting Steve is the correct decision regardless.

Its the best squad we could have hoped for I reckon.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Hilfenhaus is done for I reckon. Seems to have lost it the last few times I've seen him bowl. Action is ****ed and he's lost a yard of pace, as they say.

adub

International Captain
Hilfenhaus is done for I reckon. Seems to have lost it the last few times I've seen him bowl. Action is ****ed and he's lost a yard of pace, as they say.
Yep. Forth best bowler in Tassie and Gulbis is giving him a run for his money. I liked Hilf for a long time, but he's not bowling well at all. Sayers deservedly in front of him for the A squad and a few others would be too I'd bet.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
The one thing people forget about Starc is that he gives Lyon footmarks to bowl into, the Adelaide test against SA might have been quite different had he played...

the big bambino

International Captain
I thought I read somewhere that Hilf injured himself. Can only think that in light of the contract recently given to him. No matter, I think its time to move him along. Still reckon that Faulkner is a wasted spot and would swap him for Smith.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The last time I saw Hilfenhaus bowl his action was so low. No bounce or carry through.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why wasn't Hilfenhaus named in the A team?

Hope he's over there playing some sort of County or League cricket

Chances are a reserve will get called up at some stage (would be a major surprise if at least one quick didn't break down) and he seems the next most logical option
Hilf has got tendonitis in his knees and has flown home from the IPL

Ruckus

International Captain
Like others Bird is the guy that excites me. His accuracy can help wickets fall at the other end as well as picking up plenty himself. I know it's unlikely, but I'd love to see him starting in front of Siddle.
I would like to see that as well, but a 3 man pace attack of Harris, Pattinson and Bird would make me pretty edgy in terms of injury potential during the actual match (more so if Watson isn't playing and/or isn't bowling). Having Siddle instead of Bird would definitely be the more 'stable' option, but can we really afford to go the safer route in what is likely to be a very tough series? It's a gamble, but I would risk it.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I still think that Hughes is a lock for the first test. He acquitted himself better than others in India, given his terrible start to the tour. He is much better against pace than he is against spin and I could see him going large a few times. He really is not the same batsman that he was 5 years ago and I think this could be the season where he makes a real name for himself at test level.

Rogers is a great call by selectors, but fitting him in may be the issue. #4 or #6 is the right spot for him IMO. Have him build a partnership with Clarke, in a similar way to how Hussey and Clarke had a big relationship. Remember that Hussey was seen as exclusively an opener before he got a spot in the Aus team.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Rogers and even Khawaja at six doesn't feel right to me at all. Both are top 4 bats.

The difference between Huss and Rogers is quite large. Huss is a busy cricketer who had the game to bat with the tail. Rogers could be a good foil for Clarke but if our skipper fails I don't think Rogers is suited to changing his game to suit the conditions.

Hopefully our aggressive bats don't get out playing rash shots in an effort to lift the run rate as at times if we have Cowan, Rogers and Khawaja in our lineup we'll have slow periods.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Cowan, Rogers and Khawaja are patient batsmen, but they aren't always slow. Cook and Trott don't have issues batting together for example.

Woodster

International Captain
That's why I think he'd be brilliant at 3 for us. Warner getting a push on early is a massive boost for us when it comes off so I'd stick with that. He can dominate an attack right from the get go better than anyone else in our side including Clarke. Cowan and him have a bit of a thing going so he holds his place too. Cowan needs to go on with it more often, but the partnership is worth perservering with for a bit longer.

Rogers at 3 means if Warner does go cheaply you've got the careful watchful guy experienced against the new ball to come in to reduce the chances of one wicket becoming a collapse. If Cowan goes early it's a like for like. He's clearly good enough to make a big score coming in at 1/100 as well so he could tick a lot of boxes in a way that Hughes hasn't been able to do enough at Test level yet.
I think Rogers will bat at first drop, and that they prefer Usman over Smith and Hughes in seaming conditions (they really rated his knock at Bellerive this Summer, and the fact that the Gabba is his home ground) - making the order for the 1st Test as follows:

Cowan
Warner
Rogers
Watson
Clarke
Usman
Haddin

Moreover, given Hughes' modest record, I think it's tiime Usman is given a shot.
I certainly don't think batting at first drop would be a big change for Rogers, and I can see the benefits of him fitting in there.