• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Grew up playing at five or so.

It's not like a one dayer though with blokes back, they'll still have two slips, a gully when he starts; not like the off-side will be stacked.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But the ball will be softer and the chances of starting against spin increases.

Warner's a pure opener. Doesn't have the game at the moment to get into his work by working ones and twos from the get go.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Ball doesn't go that soft in England. Starting against spin is an issue, but I disagree that he's a pure opener. He bats the same no matter what the situation, and he can change games in twenty minutes.

It was really only on the back of his success doing it OD cricket that he began doing it in the longer form. I'm not that fussed about it in general, and it won't happen, but I think in England it's his best chance to prosper.

benchmark00

Ball doesn't go that soft in England. Starting against spin is an issue, but I disagree that he's a pure opener. He bats the same no matter what the situation, and he can change games in twenty minutes.

It was really only on the back of his success doing it OD cricket that he began doing it in the longer form. I'm not that fussed about it in general, and it won't happen, but I think in England it's his best chance to prosper.
My point exactly. I'd rather not have a guy as expansive as Warner come out in the midst of a collapse. The best chance of him getting value for his shots is at the top of the innings. He's very much a confidence and eye player, he gets a few away to the boundary early and he goes well.

Warner doesn't have the gears to play in the middle order at the moment.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
I, for one, look forward to the sight of Mitchell Starc with a red Duke in his hand.

Yeah, yeah, I know he's fourth in the pecking order, but dat inswing.

Spikey

someone oughta create separate australia and england road to the ashes threads. i don't want to talk about possible australian sides in this ****ty pom infested thread

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
someone oughta create separate australia and england road to the ashes threads. i don't want to talk about possible australian sides in this ****ty pom infested thread
As if it'll make the slightest difference which of that bunch of has beens and never will bes that you select :ph34r:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't mind the idea of Warner batting five or six personally. I'm a bit worried he'd get completely owned by Swann there, but it's not like opening the batting saved Devon Smith from that fate anyway. In the end it's probably not something I'd do for the first Test, but if Watson's going to open then I do prefer it to the idea of dropping Cowan and playing another middle order batsman or Henriques.

the big bambino

International Captain
Why not put Warner down the order? Cowan and Watson (although those two running between wickets could be fun) and Warner as the game changer batting at four or five?
I had thought abt him at no.3 before they settled on Hughes. So yeah I'd consider him lower but on the condition we leave Clarke at 5. Straight swap for Usman in that case with Cowan back in the side.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Huh.

Would never have guessed Crash was referring to Khawaja from this description:

Don't be surprised if he ends up near the top of the Australian averages, given the pureness of his technique.
Bit of a bottom handed shoveler from what I've seen of him in tests. Not Graeme Smith, tbf, but hardly Michael Clarke either.

& he hardly set Div 2 alight last year.

Interesting Badel picks Rogers too. Won't labour the point, but it's the way I'd go. Desperate times and all that.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Huh.

Would never have guessed Crash was referring to Khawaja from this description:

Bit of a bottom handed shoveler from what I've seen of him in tests. Not Graeme Smith, tbf, but hardly Michael Clarke either.

& he hardly set Div 2 alight last year.

Interesting Badel picks Rogers too. Won't labour the point, but it's the way I'd go. Desperate times and all that.
Think Collingwood minus worth ethic and fielding ability.

benchmark00

No way. Say what you want about Usman, but he is way, waaaaay more talented than Collingwood. A classy batsman who has limitations.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Experts Pick Their Ashes Squads

My squad

Clarke
Warner
Watson
Hughes
Usman
Smith
Ferguson ^

O'Keefe
Lyon

Wade
Hartley

Pattinson
Harris
Hilfenhaus **
Starc
Siddle
Faulkner

^ Please keep reading beyond this point

** just shades Bird - more mature body, and more likely to make an immediate impact if called upon

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
If Haddin wasn't as good as he was in the Shield this year, I wouldn't be against Hartley touring as the back-up wicketkeeper.

And do we make room for Moises? (Because there's no way Faulkner is a genuine all-rounder at present)