• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2013 Ashes

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Though I am heartened by the fact he concedes we'll knock over one of the numpty openers early.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Siddle seems to have become a source of derision again and I'm really not sure why. Above absolutely everything else just look at his record. It's as decent a record as any Australian fast bowler has had in recent times, considering he is now a fully established Test player with over 40 caps, who has played in many different countries with reasonable success across the board. Yes he's never going to be a sub-25 average bowler like Pattinson and Harris probably are but how many bowlers are? Remember an attack work as a team, they must complement each other and work together. Not only do I think Siddle merits selection off his own back but I think having him in the team will enhance the performance of Pattinson and Australia will see better overall team bowling performances with him around. He's essential to your chances IMO.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Well he needs clarity of expression instead of that kind of ambiguity.
You must have blotted the Adelaide 2010 test from your memory Bergmeister, but clearly everyone else here had the cricketing knowledge to pick up on the relevance of the figures.

Try and keep up old son.....I'd hate to have to dumb things down just for your benefit.

Burgey

I actually didn't see the Adelaide test I was overseas at the time. Therefore it didn't happen.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The English batsmen, for whatever reason, are nowhere near the levels of discipline that they were approaching in 2010.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Harris, Pattinson, Bird and maybe Starc are in front of Siddle from a getting wickets perspective IMO. You can argue he brings other things to the team but with our batting we need wickets.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
As an England fan I'd feel happier if Australia picked a team omitting Siddle then including him to be honest.

Top_Cat

Harris, Pattinson, Bird and maybe Starc are in front of Siddle from a getting wickets perspective IMO. You can argue he brings other things to the team but with our batting we need wickets.
Nah no way are Starc and Bird ahead of him. And, tbh, I doubt anyone would be putting Harris ahead if he'd played consistently. Harris suffers from not playing too much due to injury but he also gets some benefits from guys not getting a long look at his stuff which is remarkably similar to Siddle.

Ruckus

International Captain
Nah no way are Starc and Bird ahead of him. And, tbh, I doubt anyone would be putting Harris ahead if he'd played consistently. Harris suffers from not playing too much due to injury but he also gets some benefits from guys not getting a long look at his stuff which is remarkably similar to Siddle.
I agree Starc isn't, but what makes you say so unequivocally that Bird isn't? All there is to go off, other than his far superior FC record so far, is the two tests his played. And he out-bowled Siddle pretty comprehensively in both. You can't use a 'doesn't bowl quick enough argument' anymore either. Bird has lifted his game in that area, so much so he was bowling just as quick as Siddle (135-140ish) whose pace has dropped in the past 6 months.

I very much don't doubt too that if Harris played more he would be more successful that Siddle. He is just a better bowler. He has more control, gets swing/seam movement more consistently, is a far better new ball bowler and probably bowls quicker on average too. Don't buy players being able to 'work him out' either. He ain't no mystery.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Siddle goes the journey, not just about pace and accuracy and all those things we talk about in fast bowlers, it's about the second innings of a pressure match where Siddle is still charging in giving it his absolute all, and somehow he is still taking wickets when other bowlers aren't. Siddle doesn't sound like much compared to the rest of our pace battery, but he brings something to the able that other bowlers don't IMO.

Ruckus

International Captain
Well assuming you watched the two games Bird played, I'd be curious as to what you did see then, and how that was worse than Siddle?

Flem274*

123/5
Starc is not better than Siddle. He has bucketloads of ability but as a bowler right now he is terrible. All Siddle needs to be better than Starc is not bowl three half volleys or long hops every over.

Bird has been on the international scene for two and a half seconds. We haven't seen enough to get a good gauge.

Harris is better but can't put together two series in a row so it's irrelevant.

Top_Cat

See, here's the problem; you're looking to judge the better quick like it's a game of ICC, who bowls the bigger outie, faster, etc. So much more to the profession and who should be selected than that. Bird has potential but there's a lot to be said for a bloke who takes 150-odd Test wicket and averages < 30 when everyone's had a good look at him and knows exactly how he operates. He's no genius but neither is Bird, their methods are very similar. So what if he outbowled Siddle for a couple of Tests; Siddle's been doing it for years now. That alone deserves respect at the selection table.

You can't put Bird above Siddle because of two Tests. He bowled well, no doubt, but he's far less accomplished than Siddle at the moment. And, as I said before, the younger blokes can come in and throw everything at the oppo because they have the reliable **** at the other end. Siddle's plenty quick enough and if he had someone reliable at the other end, he'd arc up. But it's clearly not his role.

Last edited: