• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

outbreak

First Class Debutant
So if Smith makes runs here will that cement him in the side for a long stay? Or is he just in to allow us 4 quicks.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Disagree, you can't overturn that. Hawk eye showed that a small portion of the ball was hitting in line, that should be enough if the onfield umpire gives it.
I would've given that out BUT the developers of the technology have advised that there is a margin of error which is why the 3rd ump couldnt be sure

If a guy who is in a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better position than the on field ump cant be sure, then how can you give it out

Sam Handwich

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Is the predictive camera called eagle eye, hawk eye or virtual eye?

Think it's worth tossing the ball to Swann for a few overs.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I would've given that out BUT the developers of the technology have advised that there is a margin of error which is why the 3rd ump couldnt be sure

If a guy who is in a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better position than the on field ump cant be sure, then how can you give it out
Because in case of marginal calls, they want the benefit of the doubt to go to the umpire.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Because it wasn't definitely not out. How hard is that to understand?

hazsa19

International Regular

I don't think it is about the technology not being sure, that's a common misconception perpetuated by ignorant commentators. This technology was developed to deliver missiles hundreds of miles within a few feet for goodness sake!

It's more about the fact that only a portion of the ball was hitting in line. hawk-eye clearly shows that just less than half of the ball was hitting the pad in line with the off stump.

The icc have ruled that this is deemed as 'umpires call', if more than half of the ball is hitting then there's scope to overturn it because it might be a howler.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Don't think so to be honest, he's a bowler and any bowler can understand the importance of that being given out. Poor watson trying to use the system to save his wicket, get off!!
Was referring to his anecdote about bowling a bouncer at the WACA and the next thing the ball hit after the pitch was the sightscreen.