• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Whether Smith is ready or not, he strikes me as a thoroughly fearless cricketer. That may mean he's reckless, I don't know. But I can't see him worrying too much about whether he's going to get an extended run. Watching him play, the game seems fun to him, not some austere business as it seems to be to so many players these days.

It's refreshing tbh.

Last edited:

Julian87

State Captain
Of all the selections I think Smith is the best. His bowling is improving and he is starting to take wickets at the end of an innings as well as removing some well and truly set players. He's a work in progress and he may get clobbered but I think he is more likely to take 3-4 wickets in an innings than pretty much any spinner who's been thrown around bar O'Keefe and Krejza.

Batting him at 6 is a good idea too IMO. We've then still got Haddin behind him for a bit of cover and he will undoubtedly do better than North. I can't see him scoring huge but I can see him contributing with decent half centuries at this point. It's an aggressive selection and it is just what we need IMO.

I also really, really want to see Hilfenhaus in the XI. If Beer plays; so be it, but I want Harris and Hilfenhaus as the first picked seamers.

Ruckus

International Captain
It was confirmed last night that:

- Beer will play
- Smith will bat at six.

Batting Smith rather than Haddin at six is a good move for several reasons. First, people will judge Smith more as a batting allrounder than if he was batting lower down. This is good, as he is more of a batsman at the moment I feel. Secondly, Haddin I believe may bat with less freedom at six. Smith also wants to bat at six.
Yeh I like the idea of batting Smith at 6. Feel you could really get the most out of him as a batsmen if he is given a more serious role. Where as Haddin, even though he is better batsmen when he is in such good form, is a type of player who I can see approaching his game in the same way regardless of his position.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, am not unhappy with the Smith selection. He's a gun and the more he plays for Australia the better IMO. Given that he isn't the best batsman to come in for Australia at 6 though, I really would've preferred that he play alongside O'Keefe or Hauritz to bolster the batting (and bowling).

Smith
Haddin
O'Keefe
Johnson
Harris
Siddle/Hilf

Would provide a lot of bowling and batting options, with Harris coming in at 10.

Sylvester

State Captain
Yeah, am not unhappy with the Smith selection. He's a gun and the more he plays for Australia the better IMO. Given that he isn't the best batsman to come in for Australia at 6 though, I really would've preferred that he play alongside O'Keefe or Hauritz to bolster the batting (and bowling).

Smith
Haddin
O'Keefe
Johnson
Harris
Siddle/Hilf

Would provide a lot of bowling and batting options, with Harris coming in at 10.
Agree that would look a heck of a lot better. At least you would potentially have 3 bowlers that are capable of keeping it tight allowing Johnson and if Smith is required to attack.

andyc

But the point is that by selecting Smith to bat at six, given where he is at the moment, you're weakening the middle order somewhat (not when you're replacing North, but in general). Would much rather have seen Hauritz or preferably O'Keefe in there to shore up the batting.

stephen

Is it wrong for me to be wishing a minor injury on Beer, just to force the selectors to pick someone else?

I hear Boyce has very little first class experience, making him a prime candidate.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
It would confuse Smith to bat him at seven

He wants to bat at six

Haddin is a free wheeling player at seven
To be fair, Smith is a free wheeling player anywhere, it's how he plays

He's been picked as a bits and pieces player tbf
And a bit of a project, Johnson was picked as a bit of a project too.

Whether Smith is ready or not, he strikes me as a thoroughly fearless cricketer. That may mean he's reckless, I don't know. But I can't see him worrying too much about whether he's going to get an extended run. Watching him play, the game seems fun to him, not some austere business as it seems to be to so many players these days.

It's refreshing tbh.
Agreed.

I'd also like to see Hilfenhaus in. I know i'm not a fan of Johnson already but trying to iron out serious technical deficiencies mid way through an important series is dangerous. Plus I really like Hilfenhaus. Pity Bollinger was so underdone, I stand corrected on that one.

howardj

International Coach
If that's the case not sure he's ready for Test cricket at all if he's going to be confused by batting at 7. He's a kid that should be honoured to play Test cricket at this stage, he's in no position to suggest he wants to bat in any specific position!
With respect, that's hierarchical and outdated. New or not, he's a member of the Australian team. Why would you not want to accommodate him and make him feel comfortable by batting him at six, while Haddin stays where's he's performed all Summer long - number seven.

pasag

RTDAS
So, Australia aside, who should be England's third seamer? Most of Australia's success has come after seeing off the better bowlers, then targeting the weak links, however if the third bowler can quick things tight, we always seem to struggle. If England muck up this selection and Finn doesn't step up, I think we can really win this Test, despite England's batting being miles ahead at the moment.

Jayzamann

International Regular
Tremlett seems the obv choice. Bizarro Broad, really. Same-ish height, action, etc, but with a face Mrs. Tremlett struggles with.

Pothas

So, Australia aside, who should be England's third seamer? Most of Australia's success has come after seeing off the better bowlers, then targeting the weak links, however if the third bowler can quick things tight, we always seem to struggle. If England muck up this selection and Finn doesn't step up, I think we can really win this Test, despite England's batting being miles ahead at the moment.
Tremlett if he is picked is pretty unlikely to be a liability, he will certainly not leak runs at the rate we have seen some Australian bowlers go at this so far this series, if he does not perform well then he will be unthreatening rather than anything else.

This is test is bound to be closer but we still have the clear edge in all departments.

howardj

International Coach
Now Broad is out, I'd be desperately disappointed if we didn't get 400 in the 1st innings.

- Finn
- Tremmers
- Swan
- Anderson

As with the England team in general, it's a very steady lineup. But geez, they are not world beaters and it's time out batsmen stood up. To ask our leatherflingers to go out and defend 245 like they were asked to in Adelaide, is just offensive and unrealistic with the attack that we have.

social

Now Broad is out, I'd be desperately disappointed if we didn't get 400 in the 1st innings.

- Finn
- Tremmers
- Swan
- Anderson

As with the England team in general, it's a very steady lineup. But geez, they are not world beaters and it's time out batsmen stood up. To ask our leatherflingers to go out and defend 245 like they were asked to in Adelaide, is just offensive and unrealistic with the attack that we have.
This

Horrifying to think how far we've fallen when we know that we "should" score 400 against this lineup but have no great confidence in doing so

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Swann and Anderson on current form is the best bowling pair in the world its no surprise Aus is struggling to get 400 barring Ponting there is no other batsman which would get you shaking in the boots.