• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

Spark

Global Moderator
Thus far Finn has been much too full to Watson and a bit too short to Watson

Although as I speak Watson has murdered him through midwicket

50 for Watson, now go on with it son

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
"effort" doesn't necessarily correlate with distance as well, I remember one incredibly laconic, lazy check drive from Haddin which promptly ended up in a carpark.
Nah that's his standard technique. When he's in form it works fine because his feet/eye are quick enough to adjust.
He used to play the short ball ok before. A lot better than he does now. Don't think it's just down to form myself. He scored a hundred before the first test and then looked like he had never seen a bat before in Brisbane. Think there's a problem with his technique there somewhere that is being exposed by better bowlers.

Spark

Global Moderator
He played the short ball fine to the same bowlers not too long ago...

I think he's just stuck and he can't split-step or swivel into his full-blooded pull. When he's stuck his only shot against the short ball is that weird paddle/jab, which I don't think his eye is good enough to play.

Lunch. These two have played beautifully, but Anderson's session

pup11

International Coach
Really worry about Watto against Swann. He's playing well, but...
Tbh... Watson against most decent spinners is always going to struggle because he has never been comfortable against spin and that's one of the reasons why he much better off opening the innings rather than batting in the middle order.

blahblahblah

International 12th Man
A couple of more wickets withing 50 odd runs and aussies are in for big time trouble

i dont understand how hussey is always allowed to recover the innings for the aussies

Tom 1972

School Boy/Girl Captain
Good fightback. Still another 70 runs till honours are even.
I reckon nearly double that. Long tail. North in next.

Big opportunity for Watson to make a big one. A top score of 126 is OK for an allrounder, not an opening bat.

Jacknife

International Captain
Anderson to start after lunch and we need him to get one of these out to keep the pressure on.Swann's found his length a lot better in that session, no turn off the pitch, but nice flight.Finn needs to find the right length for this pitch,he's bowled too full, which was right early on, but needed to pull it back to that good length.

Ruckus

International Captain
Katich: Terrible running (hardly Watson's fault imo)
Watson: Excellent, maybe even a chanceless half century?
Ponting: Pretty good delivery, but shouldn't have been a wicket ball. Badly played.
Clarke: Probably a bit unfortunate. Borderline perfect delivery, but shouldn't have played at it so hard so early on.
Hussey: Pretty lucky, but looking fairly solid again.

So definately England's session, however the wicket is almost looking like the Gabba on day 4, so with Hussey and Watson set it will be pretty difficult to get another breakthrough soon.

pup11

International Coach

I think he's just stuck and he can't split-step or swivel into his full-blooded pull. When he's stuck his only shot against the short ball is that weird paddle/jab, which I don't think his eye is good enough to play.

Clarke was being targeted on the front-foot the last time he faced these bowlers, but still whenever Broad or Flintoff bowled short to him he looked all at sea.
Any bloke who looks to plays the horizontal bat shots off the front-foot (which Clarke does) is always going to have trouble when he comes across bowlers who can bowl short in the right areas.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Are we not saying the same thing?

Or are you saying there's nothing wrong with his footwork or his technique, he's just 'stuck'? You'll have to explain to me how he just got stuck with perfect footwork and technique if this is the case.

Spark

Global Moderator
Clarke was being targeted on the front-foot the last time he faced these bowlers, but still whenever Broad or Flintoff bowled short to him he looked all at sea.
Any bloke who looks to plays the horizontal bat shots off the front-foot (which Clarke does) is always going to have trouble when he comes across bowlers who can bowl short in the right areas.
Of course they're going to target him on the front foot. How did he just get out?

Headingley last year? They bowled short to him basically all innings and it was eventually a yorker that he got out to.

Spark

Global Moderator
Are we not saying the same thing?

Or are you saying there's nothing wrong with his footwork or his technique, he's just 'stuck'? You'll have to explain to me how he just got stuck with perfect footwork and technique if this is the case.
Stuck = stuck at the crease and not moving his feet.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can see what people mean about Watto's play against Swann but it's kinda hard to see how exactly he's going to get out. It's much the same as when Swann bowls to any right-hander, tbh.

Spark

Global Moderator
I can see what people mean about Watto's play against Swann but it's kinda hard to see how exactly he's going to get out. It's much the same as when Swann bowls to any right-hander, tbh.
You mean that a good ball will remain a good ball?

:p