• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

tooextracool

International Coach
So I wonder. 3fer what would bring Australia back on par? Me thinks 3/230.

400 is a "par" score at Adelaide.
Depends on how they bowl. The pitch has carry and enough spin so its really a question of whether they can get the ball to swing. England bat last too.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Just clubbed that one, straight out of nowhere.
Swann really won't mind that one too much. He's still able to settle in on a length against Watson, who looks like he's operating on a numbers game, whereas Hussey his being much more positive with his feet, making it harder to nail down a consistent length.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fair enough. I just reckon the way he's playing the short ones at the moment indicates he's having trouble picking the ball up. Without a doubt his feet are stuck though and as such he's all over the shop. Having said that, you're always going to be a little stuck early on and he got a pearler...

Smashed!
Think the way he's playing the short ones may have a little to do with his back, but also his footwork could come into play there too. If you're not 100% sure of what you're going to do re: the short ball then you get yourself into a bad position. Needs to be decisive, otherwise you end up in no-man's land and get pinned.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Little bit too much width from Finn there. But Hussey's really looking to go at him here, I'd still keep him on because he's a chance of producing a mistake out Hussey.

Spark

Global Moderator
Think the way he's playing the short ones may have a little to do with his back, but also his footwork could come into play there too. If you're not 100% sure of what you're going to do re: the short ball then you get yourself into a bad position. Needs to be decisive, otherwise you end up in no-man's land and get pinned.
Could also do with the fact that he tries to come forward on every ball...

King Pietersen

International Captain
121m? :huh: If that's correct, that is a huge hit. Looked like a lusty blow live, but jeez, 121m is ridiculous, especially considering there appeared to be no effort thrown into it whatsoever.

Tom 1972

School Boy/Girl Captain
121m? :huh: If that's correct, that is a huge hit. Looked like a lusty blow live, but jeez, 121m is ridiculous, especially considering there appeared to be no effort thrown into it whatsoever.
Dunno if it (the distance of the hit) is correct but Adelaide has probably the longest straight boundaries in cricket (and among the shortest square ones).

Spark

Global Moderator
"effort" doesn't necessarily correlate with distance as well, I remember one incredibly laconic, lazy check drive from Haddin which promptly ended up in a carpark.
Which would be to do with his footwork.
Nah that's his standard technique. When he's in form it works fine because his feet/eye are quick enough to adjust.

Last edited:

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Little bit too much width from Finn there. But Hussey's really looking to go at him here, I'd still keep him on because he's a chance of producing a mistake out Hussey.
Broad and Anderson bowled pretty well to Hussey earlier, but Finn is dropping a bit short for mine. I know that's how he bowls, but it hasn't served them well so far against Hussey.

Agree also with what you say about Swann vs. Watson. Watto is scoring runs, but in the first test Hussey managed to disrupt Swann's length really well. He's building up a bit of rhythm against Watto here.

pup11

International Coach
Watto better not throw this start away now, he has had a great time as an opener in test cricket but a number of times he has failed to convert these starts into 100's, so hoping he doesn't repeat that today.
Also feeling bad for the Katman, things just aren't working out for him these days.