• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are you liking the current trend for wides?

Are you in favour of umpires being very strict on wides?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Debris

International 12th Man
The umpires in this series have been very strict on wides. I like this trend because it discourages the awful practice of bowling 4 feet outside off-stump. The occasional unfair wide I can put up with.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah, it sucks. Some of the wides called - for both sides - would piss me off if called in an ODI.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
TBH, i don't pay too much attention to the wides in a test....or the no balls for that matter. Unless its Amir or Asif...(if they ever play again).

Julian87

State Captain
I didn't mind them tbh.

Some of the bouncer wides were a bit of a joke. But I liked the ones so wide outside off that no shot could have been played. Don't care if they were 'inside the line'...means sfa

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I didn't pay enough attention to the bouncer wides, but the outside-off wides have all been right on the button - none of them have been balls to which anyone could've played proper shots.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
the bouncer wides have been poor but as above the outside off ones are fine.

Spark

Global Moderator
The outside-off wides have been fine.

Some of the bouncer calls are a bit rough though.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I tend to echo the last few posts. Answered yes to the poll since I've no problem at the relatively strict approach for the calling of the wides outside offstump, although think some of the wides for the bouncers have been a bit harsh.

Uppercut

Yeah, I'd say on the whole I'm pretty happy with it. They were mentioning on commentary over the summer that the umpires are instructed to give less leeway to a bowler bowling a persistently negative line outside off than they do to one who just slips a wide one in.

I don't think negative bowling outside off is that much of a problem in test cricket anyway. Doesn't come up too often.

flibbertyjibber

The outside-off wides have been fine.

Some of the bouncer calls are a bit rough though.
This.

The bouncer margin for error is so small and the umpires seem quick to jump on it,almost as if they want the bouncer removed from the game.