• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's gonna win?

Who will win the series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Howe_zat

Audio File
Still believe that England's a fairly mediocre side that had a couple of golden patches. They haven't lost a series in nearly 2 years, tho.
The fact that the last series they lost was the series that changed the coach & captain and make significant long-term selection calls suggests that the new, successful England is more than just a purple patch.

I still think it'll be very difficult for them to win down under - and a drawn series to retain the urn would be good. But they are just as good as Australia now, and have the best chance they've had since I've been alive.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Still believe that England's a fairly mediocre side that had a couple of golden patches. They haven't lost a series in nearly 2 years, tho.
I think they're a pretty good side that has had patches of underachievement, myself. I still don't think they'll be particularly well-suited to Australian conditions but that's no huge slight on them. The top five teams honestly are fairly interchangeable IMO and unless we see personnel changes in those five teams, series between them will largely come down to HGA and form.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The fact that the last series they lost was the series that changed the coach & captain and make significant long-term selection calls suggests that the new, successful England is more than just a purple patch.

I still think it'll be very difficult for them to win down under - and a drawn series to retain the urn would be good. But they are just as good as Australia now, and have the best chance they've had since I've been alive.
Weren't the changes made after the tour to India and before the one to WI, which they lost?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Weren't the changes made after the tour to India and before the one to WI, which they lost?
All the furore came about a fortnight before we left for the WI. Flower and Strauss were both placed in interim roles for that series.

They were given the jobs permanently afterwards and haven't lost a Test series since.

Basically you're right, kind of! :)

Spark

Global Moderator
I think they're a pretty good side that has had patches of underachievement, myself. I still don't think they'll be particularly well-suited to Australian conditions but that's no huge slight on them. The top five teams honestly are fairly interchangeable IMO and unless we see personnel changes in those five teams, series between them will largely come down to HGA and form.
gweh?

tooextracool

International Coach
This whole England being poor away from home is news to me. Think England were a poor team under Moores, home and away and they were also pretty ordinary in the last couple of years under Fletcher. If anything until the last year and a half they have been equally ordinary both home and away.

Teja.

Global Moderator
England's pace attack is **** in Aussie conditions and it is incredibly hard to succeed as a spinner in Australia, however good Swanneh is. The fact that the Australian bowling attack could be competitive against an awesome Indian batting line-up shows how very good they are. Paris Hilton winning the Nobel Peace Prize is a likelier event than England defending the Ashes.
:laugh:

FMD

z

Teja.

Global Moderator
Awesome Johnson is awesome. He's Australia's best bowler and shouldn't be dropped for the odd bad match regardless of how **** he looks in that match. So glad to have backed him to come back strongly. :cool:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Awesome Johnson is awesome. He's Australia's best bowler and shouldn't be dropped for the odd bad match regardless of how **** he looks in that match. So glad to have backed him to come back strongly. :cool:
Now all we need is Bollinger's return for Melbourne so I can post the same thing on Boxing Day.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hmm, I think that you really have to give credit where it's due here. I'm not sure we would have seen the turnaround without him having some time for some remedial work. Even without the swing, he managed to be a lot better with his line, especially to the left handers.