Cricket Player Manager
Page 42 of 405 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: *Official* First Test at the Gabba

Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    Would be negative that really, extending the batting line-up at the risk of losing a real bowling option, but then again you guys do seem worried.
    It's not really losing a bowler though, because spin shouldn't play a major role anyway. So it's essentially just gaining a batsman, given that Watson can make up the 4th seamer. I think you are massively underestimating Watson as well. He bowls very well in conditions which are good for swing and seam movement (i.e. the Gabba at the moment). I'd go as far as to say he is probably the best bowler out of those 4 quicks in those conditions.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Worst Squad ever. Thanks a ****inglot chappelli
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by Got_Spin View Post
    Worst Squad ever. Thanks a ****inglot chappelli
    Yeah, they may as well not have replaced Mervyn.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian87 View Post
    Also looks to me as though they haven't played Doherty in the A game to keep the English batsmen from facing him.
    To me they didn't pick Doherty for Hobart cause they presumed Sydney would be a spinning pitch, but....

About the squad, well there's only 4 people I would drop from it...........

pretty sure I'll kill myself when they announce Siddle is playing over Dougeh

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    It's not really losing a bowler though, because spin shouldn't play a major role anyway. So it's essentially just gaining a batsman, given that Watson can make up the 4th seamer. I think you are massively underestimating Watson as well. He bowls very well in conditions which are good for swing and seam movement (i.e. the Gabba at the moment). I'd go as far as to say he is probably the best bowler out of those 4 quicks in those conditions.
    Good spinners will always play a part, regardless of what the Gabba pitch will look like, I cannot imagine England going in without Swann, so you'd be playing a couple of average spinners when you could include a quick bowler who will suit the conditions.

I probably am being a touch harsh on Watson, and like against Pakistan, he can be useful when conditions suit. Surely he's not as effective as the actual bowlers though ? Hilfenhaus especially.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Yeah, they may as well not have replaced Mervyn.
    Just been banging my head against the table because of this squad. So terrible.

If dougeh gets replaced by Siddle it's the last straw really.

Quote Originally Posted by Got_Spin View Post

If dougeh gets replaced by Siddle it's the last straw really.

Oh it's bound to happen. Everyone in the set-up ****ing loves Siddle. Those ODers he got and getting rested for Victoria are danger signs. It's gonna happen. Everyone should get themselves into the frame of mind that Siddle is playing so when it happens we don't all break our computers and TV screens.

Good spinners will always play a part, regardless of what the Gabba pitch will look like, I cannot imagine England going in without Swann, so you'd be playing a couple of average spinners when you could include a quick bowler who will suit the conditions.

I probably am being a touch harsh on Watson, and like against Pakistan, he can be useful when conditions suit. Surely he's not as effective as the actual bowlers though ? Hilfenhaus especially.
    No, believe it or not, Watson is as effective as the other bowlers. And, not suprisingly, he has a better FC bowling average than Bollinger, Johnson and Hilfenhaus. His bowling is much improved since he dropped his pace and focussed on the more intricate skills.

I agree that spinners will play a part, but I disagree that including Smith is losing a bowler. It would be losing a bowler if Doherty was as intergral to the teams success as Swann is to England, but he simply isn't.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    No, believe it or not, Watson is as effective as the other bowlers. And, not suprisingly, he has a better FC bowling average than Bollinger, Johnson and Hilfenhaus. His bowling is much improved since he dropped his pace and focussed on the more intricate skills.

I agree that spinners will play a part, but I disagree that including Smith is losing a bowler. It would be losing a bowler if Doherty was as intergral to the teams success as Swann is to England, but he simply isn't.
    Stats can at times be deceptive, but you make a compelling case, we'll have to see how his role develops as the series progresses.

If Smith is only going to be used sparingly, as you suggested he should, then effectively you are giving the number 8 slot to a guy that, imo, is not a good enough batsman at this stage, who might get a few overs with the ball. Get a proper bowler in there, one to share the workload.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Just get home to read that Xavier Doherty, according to the Courier Mail, is set to be selected when the squad is pruned today. My God, if we're going to go for an unproven left arm tweaker, let's go for O'Keefe who at least has a good FC average, is just 24 years of age, and has just taken four wickets in a tidy innings display against the English Test batting lineup. By contrast, Doherty has been floating around the scene for years, and has an average of 48. Some of our decision making just leaves me stunned.
    It's almost like the selectors have forgotten that a number of the guys who went on to be mainstays of the team (and in many cases, great players) in the past, were picked after not many FC matches, but had put in good performances at that level.

They're have a bet each way with guys who have been around for ages and put in a decent performance or two, instead of picking some real up and coming talent. These days, a guy has to prove himself for a few year before getting a crack. Seems to be a flow on from when we actually had a great team.
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 19-11-2010 at 07:38 PM.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

I realise he has a decent first class average, but he's only played around 17 first-class games. Although I thought his bowling average was closer to 50 than his batting in first-class cricket ?

I'm just not much of a fan of his mate, I'm sure you guys have seen much more of him, but what I've seen is not good enough for an Australian Test player, but maybe that's a reflection of your choices these days.

His technique with the bat (I know tech isn't everything) looks pretty shoddy, strikes a clean ball, I'll give him that. As you say he does make runs, so he's obviously doing something right.

His bowling needs a lot of work aswell, he may become a decent player, but can't think he'll develop quick enough to play a serious part in this series.
    I agree with this exactly. IMO Smith is quickly becoming one of the most overrated cricketers. Yes he's young, but it's too early for him at the moment.

If everyone available for Australia was fit, Smith would be pushing (but not making) my Australia A team.

I tend to agree O'Keefe > Doherty, but I think Doherty will do a decent job. He's definitely a Cricketer who gets himself in the game and I doubt he'll be a disaster. Also on the plus, it gives Jason Krejza more of a chance to shine for Tassie, hopefully NSW selectors can find room for O'Keefe too.

Also regarding the 3 quicks it appears that most people are thinking it's a race between Bollinger and Siddle. I actually question why Hilfenhaus is seen as an automatic selection in front of Siddle.

They both average 31 and even though Hilfenhaus is seen as the more tighter option, Siddle has the better economy rate. I think they are very similar in ability and so far this Shield Season, Siddle has out performed Hilfenhaus.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBloody Idiot View Post
    Can you be more specific?

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    The smooth buildup is starting to have me a little spooked, lol. It can't all go this well can it?

School Boy/Girl Captain Tom 1972's Avatar
    C'mon mate, he averages 50 with the bat in FC cricket.

Hope they don't make the same mistake with him that they made with Watson - ie. just because he can bowl, they think his batting is not up to scratch and therefore bat him below the keeper.

Crazy stuff.
    44.8 is not 50....

That being said, he's 21 and will wind up playing 100 tests for Australia me thinks. I mean he IS from NSW.

Thread Information