• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
So much relies on Ponting this series. Unbelievable pressure, especially if Clarke goes down with a back injury.

Surely if Clarke can't play they'd bring Usman in to replace him. That'd be the logical step though

Ruckus

International Captain
Pretty sure we can bring in a replacement if it becomes clear that a player from the squad won't be able to play in the test.
Though I've a feeling both Bollinger and Clarke are going to rush themselves into this game, and we would be taking a huge punt if they do that, also read somewhere that Watson too isn't fully fit.
So...there you go it surely doesn't look good for us atm, unsettled team, out of form batsmen and injured key players.
Watson as well!? Where did you here that?

Ruckus

International Captain
Surely if Clarke can't play they'd bring Usman in to replace him. That'd be the logical step though
Yeh but Clarke's problem will likely go right down to (and be decided) the time of the first test, in which case Smith is the only immediate backup.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
In the case of Hussey and North it might be true, but people like Hodge, Rogers, Jacques, Dussey, McDonald would disagree with this theory.
The thing is these days favoritism plays a big part in who gets picked and who doesn't, in the Australian team. Now that's nothing new and happens everywhere around the world, but when the players you are backing aren't that good or aren't performing and the players who you are continuously ignoring are consistently doing well, then the motives of the people who are running the show certainly become questionable.
Selection should be an answerable job IMO, and like players if selectors can't do their job properly then they too should be shown the door.
Yeah the current selectors seem to have certain favourites, pointing towards 'experience' as the factor behind their continued selection, while choosing to ignore the string of failures that have accompanied said batsmen. There's really no other explanation for why Hussey and North will be lining up on Thursday

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeh but Clarke's problem will likely go right down to (and be decided) the time of the first test, in which case Smith is the only immediate backup.
Surely they can fly Usman into Brisbane now on standby just in case, knowing that Clarke may be unable to play

Not that hard to do

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surely they can fly Usman into Brisbane now on standby just in case, knowing that Clarke may be unable to play

Not that hard to do
Mate, have you been keeping abreast with QANTAS' woes of late?

Getting a safe flight to Queensland is damn hard to do itbt.

howardj

International Coach
This time I have a proper leak, from a real spy!

One of the financial planners at our firm went to a lunch today with Crash Craddock who said that Clarke will not play.

Last edited:

Burgey

This time I have a proper leak, from a real spy!

One of the financial planners at our firm went to a lunch today with Crash Craddock who said that Clarke will not play.
Your source is a journo then?

Well itstl.

I'd assume Hussey to four, Usman to five and North averaging sixes and sevens as usual than?

Does anyone think they haven't called up the right player as cover for Clarke?

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
They called up Khawaja? Why is Smith in the squad then?

Will be a big blow for the Aussies to lose Clarke, I think he's their best batsman. Strange parallels from last time where Clarke was the one called up as injury cover.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Your source is a journo then?

Well itstl.

I'd assume Hussey to four, Usman to five and North averaging sixes and sevens as usual than?

Does anyone think they haven't called up the right player as cover for Clarke?
Well after saying I'd have dropped Mike Hussey for Khawaja, I'm going to contradict myself a bit and say I would've brought Dave Hussey in for Clarke. It makes more sense to bring Khawaja in if you're actually changing the first eleven and giving him an extended run, but if you just want someone to fill in for Test I'd go with Dave Hussey.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
If he didn't have such a dismal time in Hobart, nobody would be upset by the selection of Khawaja. On numbers alone he deserves to be the backup, and it's finally the injection of quality youth that the side needs.

flibbertyjibber

Well if Clarke is out then it makes me even happier and the batting even more brittle.4,5 and 6 being a couple of players under intense pressure and a debutant is a recipe for disaster.

morgieb

Odds on, if Clarke is ruled out, that Khawaja will push Hussey out ala Damien Martyn?