• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
There's still no reason to confirm that Doherty will play. Yes that's the likely plan but I could easily see them picking four seamers plus North/Smith. You'd say Siddle would be more likely to take wickets than Doherty regardless of the make-up of the attack.
Hilditch has essentially said that Doherty will definitely play. He will.

sifter132

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
It might be why the squad is 13 and not 12.

Honestly though, the only speculation I've seen to suggest Bollinger might not play in on CricketWeb. I'm pretty sure he'll be lining up with the new rock.
Michael Clarke in doubt for the first Test | The Australian

In this article it's mentioned that Dougie might be on the bench. I'm officially worried if Siddle and Smith replace Clarke and Bollinger...Please be fit guys. In that case there might even be a 4th quick bowler played (Harris? Cameron? Copeland?) with Smith and North the main spinners. Reason being...article also mentions Watson having a potential twinge as well. Along with Clarke's back and Katich's shoulder scare for NSW the other day, the backup bowling perhaps won't be all it could be.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Said on the radio this morning that Dougeh is on the outer. FFS though, who knows? Worst time is the week leading up to the first test... Just dire as.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Ive never seen so much team speculation and worry before any Aussie test match, ever! Insane. Thursday cant come quick enough so the damn cricket can start.

simmy

International Regular
Re: Aussie selections... did I miss something?

O'Keefe looked really good with bat and ball and IIRC his bowling avg is less than 26 and his batting over 50!? Doesn't Doherty seem a bit ordinary with a FC average to prove it?

simmy

International Regular
Just seen the Steve Smith selection. What is going on over there with the selectors? Did Bell not make the point clear enough re: Smith?

Ruckus

International Captain
Lets have a worst case team scenario:

Watson
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
North
Haddin
Smith
Johnson
Hilfenhaus
Doherty
Siddle

Given that could be the case if the selectors are stupid enough to give preference to Siddle over Bollinger, and Clarke is not fit enough, how do you think that team would go? Personally, I think if that's the team playing, we are royally ****ed.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
It's not ideal but it's not terrible.
The bowling is still alright, but the batting looks pretty damn fragile. I mean I could easily envisage Hussey, North, Haddin and Smith and Johnson all bombing out at the same time and essentially losing us the game. The problem with that middle order is there are no really gritty batsmen - Hussey used to play that role, but it's quite possible he will continue his bad form, North is literally hit or miss (the latter being more likely), Haddin is one-dimensional and bad at saving an innings, Smith is simply inexperienced, and Johnson is basically a slogger. There is no balance in that line-up at all. Clarke's presence would make a massive difference, so fingers crossed...

pup11

International Coach
Lets have a worst case team scenario:

Watson
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
North
Haddin
Smith
Johnson
Hilfenhaus
Doherty
Siddle

Given that could be the case if the selectors are stupid enough to give preference to Siddle over Bollinger, and Clarke is not fit enough, how do you think that team would go? Personally, I think if that's the team playing, we are royally ****ed.
Pretty sure we can bring in a replacement if it becomes clear that a player from the squad won't be able to play in the test.
Though I've a feeling both Bollinger and Clarke are going to rush themselves into this game, and we would be taking a huge punt if they do that, also read somewhere that Watson too isn't fully fit.
So...there you go it surely doesn't look good for us atm, unsettled team, out of form batsmen and injured key players.

pup11

International Coach
Selectors Treat Batsmen Like Koalas

more than a kernel of truth to this piece...
In the case of Hussey and North it might be true, but people like Hodge, Rogers, Jacques, Dussey, McDonald would disagree with this theory.
The thing is these days favoritism plays a big part in who gets picked and who doesn't, in the Australian team. Now that's nothing new and happens everywhere around the world, but when the players you are backing aren't that good or aren't performing and the players who you are continuously ignoring are consistently doing well, then the motives of the people who are running the show certainly become questionable.
Selection should be an answerable job IMO, and like players if selectors can't do their job properly then they too should be shown the door.